starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: 1x5 225 / 2x8 185
    Press: 3x10 45
    SLDL: 3x10 135
    DL: 3 x 1 225
    Chin-up*: 3x15 70
    Standing external rotation: 3x15 with the red band thingy

* Lat pull-down with palms facing in - like a chin-up.

Long story short: Started training BJJ/Sambo last April (2-3 x per week). Anterior shoulders were
    killing me, grips as well. Laid off all other exercise until I acclimated to rolling. By August I had
    learned to use less strength and more technique so my shoulders were feeling OK. Also reduced
    frequency of Sambo classes because getting hit with the planet hurts, even with mats.

Was ready to introduce 2x per week lifting when I broke my elbow sparring. 1mm chip fracture where
    brachialis attaches to ulna (coranoid process).

That was almost 8 weeks ago. Bone is healed. Started physical therapy two weeks ago.

Notes: Was able to squat with the bar today. Last week I could barely stand with the bar across my back
    due to inflexibility and weakness at medial side of elbow. Today I felt no pain at all even with 225 on the bar.
    But, the bar started to slide down my back so I dropped down to 185. Besides, 225 was surprisingly, and
    saddeningly, hard.

Press with 45 was easy except for the last inch of extension. Was able to get to full extension a few reps. It
    was painful, but not the bad pain.

I think I'll stick with SLDL primarily but try to get a few heavier singles until my arm feels 100%

It's good to see you are well and recovering. LP all over again - enjoy it while it lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    It's good to see you are well and recovering. LP all over again - enjoy it while it lasts!
    Thank you peez. I'm gonna milk this one for a while. It is my favorite program after all :-)
    Last edited by thirdstation; 10-04-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Went to physical therapy today. Did some planks, lateral raises with small dumbells, lat pulldowns, chest presses on some machine, 15lb dumbell curls, tricep dips. The only exercise that was taxing was the bodyweight tricep dips off the bench. It still hurts to hold myself up with my arm.

I want full extension so, this is going to be hard.

Also went to BJJ tonight. Just to watch. I've been going twice a week, just watching and drinking coffee. It looks exhausting.

Squat: 2x8 190 / 1x10 190
    SLDL: 3x10 145
    Curlz: 3x10 30 w/ straight bar
    Conditioning: 6 rounds of Spin Bike Wingates

Arm was a bit sore today and is still sore.

Physical therapy again today. Torture.

Had to sandbag a lot of the exercises today because my elbow was super stiff. Could not even do 15 lb. dumbbell curls because of pain (the bad kind).

PT wants me to avoid exercise over the weekend. :-(

What I did today:
    - Lateral dumbbell raises, 5 lb.
    - Lateral raises with a theraband (like drawing a sword)
    - Cable rows with palms up grip
    - 2x10 chest press machine 70 lbs.
    - stretches.

I don't know if I should be doing all these assistance exercises instead of squats/presses/deadlifts/chin-ups.
    Last edited by thirdstation; 10-07-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Went for 3.8 mile hike today.

1.9 miles up. 1.9 miles down.

Physical therapy again today. Did the usuals except for planks and dips -- they hurt too much. My left elbow is still clicking (tricep tendon seems to be tracking wrong).

(next morning)
    Went to BJJ. Good to be back on the mats, even if I just drill. No rolling for me for a while.
    Last edited by thirdstation; 10-12-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Squats: 3x8 195
    SLDL: 3x10 135
    Press: 3 x to-the-click 45 (about 10-13 each set)

Been having a minor setback with my tricep tendon still. It's been improving but it still clicks when
    I flex or extend my arm sometimes. My typing practices and bad posture when sitting exacerbate the issue.

Elbow was clicking bad on my first attempt to do presses so I switched to SLDL. Stretched my elbow a
    bit and did as many reps on the press as I could before the click set in.

Knees were really crunchy on the first two squat sets.

Still working on full extension of my arm.

BJJ later today.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout from yesterday:

Squat: 3x5 225
    SLDL: 3x10 145
    Chin-ups*: 15x2 130
    Weight: 218.6 (was 217 after the sauna -- I love you sauna!)

Arm felt pretty good. No elbow clicking. The "chin-ups" were not very taxing but, I didn't want to push it. They were tiring on my elbow but I have no soreness today.

First set of 225 was hard. I was overthinking it and worrying about my knees. Second set was pretty easy. Third set I was bouncing the bar off my traps at the top. Funny how your brain can make the bar heavier. Knees did not hurt.

*palm-in on the cable pull machine.

Yesterday's observations:
    1. Bar muscle-ups on the Smith machine are a thing.
    2. There were two other dudes in the sauna, splitting the available seating into thirds. Best strategy is to sit in the middle third. That way they both move and it's less weird.

Last edited by thirdstation; 10-25-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added weight

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast