starting strength gym
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: CMG's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/28/2016

I currently have this thing going where I'm simultaneously hungry and don't really have an appetite? Couldn't finish breakfast this morning. Also started getting a weird random finger twitch originating in my right forearm on Monday. So... yeah.

Bench Press 45x9 95x6 135x3 170x[5,5,8]
    Number 8 was a stretch but it went. Little twinge in my left forearm halfway up but whatever. PR coming next Monday.

Deadlift 135x5 185x4 225x3 275x2 325x5
    Still just not feeling deadlift. Dunno what it is but I am not comfortable over the bar. Will probably video next time so we can all see how bad my back looks.

BB Curls 75x[10,6,4]
    Rev Hypers 40x12x2

Was expecting to go 2 sets of 8 on curls but then it felt easy so I did 10. Apparently the ~2-3 minutes was not enough time to recover, I don't even know how I got 6 for the second set. Rev Hypers still pretty easy.

Maybe I switch from 5+ to [3,3+] on deadlift. It's the last couple that usually get really bad.

9/30/2016

Press 45x9ish 75x6 105x3 133x[5,5,6] PR
    Second set might have been 6, I got to 4 and couldn't remember if I had done #3 so I did another one. Also isn't this a rest-of-the-world-lmao1plaet? I think so. I'll do the American (fuck yeah) one next Wednesday.

Squat 95x? 145x5 195x4 245x2 295x[5,5,5]
    Fuck

Incline Bench 45x? 95x? 115x10x3
    GHR BWx10x3

60kg = 132.277357lbs

Default CMG's Log

Congrats on the PR.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Also isn't this a rest-of-the-world-lmao1plaet? I think so. I'll do the American (fuck yeah) one
    It is a more than a blue lmao1plaet in the rest of the world. (20 + 20 +20 = 60kg = 132 lbs). But less than the red plate (20 + 25 +25 = 70 kg).

But the America fuck yeah (freedom is the only way!) plate is the more exciting one. [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Stupid red plates.

Week 36

10/3/2016

Oh a thing I forgot to mention on Friday - at some point between Wednesday and Friday my BW dropped from 212 to 207? Managed to get it back up to 210 today.

Bench Press 45x9 95x6 135x3 173x[5,5,8] PR
    I felt good and the first set felt good which scared me but then it was ok. Both pressing movements now in PR territory.

Squat 45 95 135 185 225 275 300x[5,5,6] PR
    Squats... Over the weekend I did some thinking and determined that I am just not going into these with a strong mindset. Are they hard, fuck yes they're hard. But the speed of my "grinders" compared to other stuff I see on this site... I need to just quit being weak. I did more than my usual number of warmup sets, really concentrating on form. Decided to get video to verify work set form is as bad as it feels. Honestly I think they look better than they feel - I see some things but I'll let others chime in. This is the first set.

In the 3rd set, rep #5 touched the safety at the bottom. It was by far the hardest rep. Does it count? Rep #6 man... I went into that set telling myself I could get 6 goddamnit and I swear that 6th rep was the best of the day. You know that feeling that you sometimes get when you're sick or on drugs where all of the sudden it's like a fog is lifted and you have a newfound clarity? I've never had that specific thing happen in the gym until I racked that last rep. Divine.

Front Squat 135x3 165x8x3
    Who the hell programmed volume front squats for me? Oh right... Anyway apparently the rack position that felt real nice last Monday didn't translate to feeling real nice today

Chins BWx[4,4,3,3]
    I feel like I should be able to do more of these.

Morning BW: 206?!

Measurement error + some other poop/hydration factor? Is your scale any good? Good work on the squats. Maybe get your knees forward earlier to reduce the late descent slide. See how "knees first/fast knees" cues works for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Measurement error + some other poop/hydration factor? Is your scale any good? Good work on the squats. Maybe get your knees forward earlier to reduce the late descent slide. See how "knees first/fast knees" cues works for you?
    Could have been hydration. I usually take it post-dump for consistency. I had an analog to verify but that is no longer with me. When I had both they matched up, and the digital has a fresh battery.

I'll try to get my knees into position quickly and locked Friday. Also, I posted a form check over in Technique and got this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    Your elbows should be higher. Start straight- hips under shoulders. Forward lean at the top drastically changes the destination of the bar at the bottom (forward of mid foot). And you are a bit too deep.
    Was kind of surprised at the depth comment. But, I do feel the weight shift forward on the way up on many reps. I think a good cue for me might be to focus on pushing into the outside-front of my shoes, rather than just the outside. Could help with both knee position and bar path. I'll play with some things during my warmups.

10/5/2016

BW 210

Press 45x9 75x6 105x3 135x[5,5,7] PR
    These all felt yay.

Deadlift 135x6 185x5 235x3 285x2 335x2
    These felt not-yay. I just could not keep my back in extension, didn't want to do any damage so stopped after 2. My low back has been sore for probably a week and a half at this point. I think it's maybe the SI joint, mainly on the right side? It bugs me after squats too. Not sure what to do - is it just too much volume to recover from, or do I need to rehab it? I find it hard to believe it's overtraining.

BBC 75x8x3
    Foam rolled low back in place of rev hypers.

Other random musings: The day I complain about front squats, Austin goes 300x8x3 and mattiecakesssss goes like 285x8xabillion so I guess I should just shut up and do the work.

There we go. Lmao1plaet in freedom units!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Could have been hydration. I usually take it post-dump for consistency. I had an analog to verify but that is no longer with me. When I had both they matched up, and the digital has a fresh battery.

I'll try to get my knees into position quickly and locked Friday. Also, I posted a form check over in Technique and got this:

Was kind of surprised at the depth comment. But, I do feel the weight shift forward on the way up on many reps. I think a good cue for me might be to focus on pushing into the outside-front of my shoes, rather than just the outside. Could help with both knee position and bar path. I'll play with some things during my warmups.

10/5/2016

BW 210

Press 45x9 75x6 105x3 135x[5,5,7] PR
    These all felt yay.

Deadlift 135x6 185x5 235x3 285x2 335x2
    These felt not-yay. I just could not keep my back in extension, didn't want to do any damage so stopped after 2. My low back has been sore for probably a week and a half at this point. I think it's maybe the SI joint, mainly on the right side? It bugs me after squats too. Not sure what to do - is it just too much volume to recover from, or do I need to rehab it? I find it hard to believe it's overtraining.

BBC 75x8x3
    Foam rolled low back in place of rev hypers.

Other random musings: The day I complain about front squats, Austin goes 300x8x3 and mattiecakesssss goes like 285x8xabillion so I guess I should just shut up and do the work.
    Press looks good, get your elbows in front a little more.

Deadlift: once your shins hit the bar don't drop your hips anymore. Reset the deadlift and go higher volume - 3x3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast