Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: CMG's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Week 39
    Squat 45 95 145x4 195x3 245x2 295x2 320x5x3 PR
    I don't know if I'm allowed to call this a PR... Are any of these getting white lights? Set 3.
    I reckon if you ask that question - you probably know the answer. Just a tad high. Looked strong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    I reckon if you ask that question - you probably know the answer. Just a tad high. Looked strong though.
    Yeh :/ I thought the first one might have been ok.

10/26/2016

Press 45x10 85x6 115x3 145x[5,5,6] PR
    #6 was a real grind, probably @9.5

Squat up to 255x5x3 Set 1 | Set 2 | Set 3
    Trying to find where correct depth is and stuff like hip drive, pushing back, using hams etc etc. Reviewed each vid after each set - set 1 seemed high, tried to fix it on set 2 and it seemed I only really did for a couple reps, set 3 I think is mostly decent? Low back wasn't a fan afterwards - do people usually belt for 80% day?

Chins BWx[5,4,3,3]
    Rev Hyper 50x[8,10,8]

Since I don't compete and don't think I really will any time soon, I'm going to just do some 1RM testing quarterly. Friday is the last day of this one, so that's what'll be happening. Will continue LPing presses next quarter, might adjust Squat/Deadlift weights based on where I shake out.

You looked like you had plenty of strength to do them at depth (the 320's that is).

Set 3 on 255 is the business. Bits of set 1 looked fine as well, and I didn't see set 2. I don't know about belting by day, I just belt up for anything over 120kg. Good luck with the 1RMs!

10/28/2016

I kept inventing reasons to not go to the gym but thanks Cody for a post in another thread. Strength does not care.

Squat: 315x1 345x1 365x1 PR 375x1 PR
    Upon video review I'm calling all of these wonderful.

Bench Press: 185x1 205x1 215x1 PR 225x1 LMAOPR
    These were TNG as opposed to the previous which were paused, fine. 225 hit a sticking point higher than I thought it would but then it went. 225 was also the one that I didn't get video of, because I didn't feel like setting up in a cage so I asked for a spot and then didn't want to make the guy wait.

Press: 135x1 155x1 165x1 PR 175x0
    175 didn't get past my nose. There's some layback but I don't think it's terrible like the sumo press thread.

Deadlift: 315x1 345x1 365x1 385x1 PR
    So here we have an issue. 345 was a little round. 365 was round. I really did all the setup stuff as good as possible for 385, I definitely was in good position with a nice flat back right before I started the pull. I then instantly became a cat? It was kind of an iffy pull but I think it white lights. I need a good cue or something to begin this movement. Or maybe a reset or maybe more volume or who knows, maybe someone will have an idea when I post the video.

Last edited by cgeorg; 10-29-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Q2 was not as strong as Q1 - our analysts predicted as much. Still in the black.

Squat: 235 -> 275 = +40
    Deadlift: 275 -> 315 = +40
    Bench Press: 145 -> 165 = +20
    Press: 102 -> 120 = +18
    Power Clean: Gone
    BW: 195 -> 208 = +13 (!)
    Height: 72in -> 72in = +0
    Workouts missed: 11 (!)

Started up MFP again, targeting 2800/day aiming for around 200lbs. Workouts missed sucks, but I did lose 3 or 4 to the ab thing. I have reset everything but deadlift, but they are all back to their previous levels so this week should have PRs in everything. Also, I only counted full 3x5 (1x5 for deadlift) sets there - I do have some heavier singles. I feel really good about the greyskull programming and I look forward to Q3 outperforming Q2 (yezzz 3pl8 squat here I come).
    Q3

Worksets:
    Squat: 275 -> 320 = +45
    Deadlift: 315 -> 345 = +30
    Bench Press: 165 -> 183 = +18
    Press: 120 -> 145 = +25
    BW: 208 -> 215= +7
    Workouts missed: 2 + 5 due to injury

Still pretty solid work. I managed to not injure myself during 1RM stuff so the 2 missed weeks + subsequent reset should not be necessary. I need to figure out what to do with deadlift but for squat I'll keep up the HLM 5lbs a week, BP and Press alternating days LP at 2.5/session. Press will probably need a reset or programming change soon, but it seems like moving that to HLM while continuing to LP BP might be a pain in the ass. Or maybe I just decide to concentrate on one or the other. I do likey shoulders though.

Oh, graphs.

Heavy Workset weight (spikes indicate singles):

e1RM:

Great stuff over here, really enjoying the quarterly reports and your "meets"!

You might, however, like to check depth on 365 and especially 375 squat with someone knowledgeable)))

Awesome work on press, some strong shit there! And Bench progress too, you think the Incline accessory doing much for these??

(tapatalk)

Mirin' hard! I see what you mean about your last deadlift though. The first part of your pull is pretty much entirely loss of back extension. It goes from flat to round before the weight has moved much at all. Because it's heavy!

Run it by your coach, but I reckon the bar is too close to you when you start pulling on your last deadlift. You can see mid-pull you rock back on your heels (and your toes raise), and at lockout the bar ends up forward from where it starts on the floor. That can't happen if it takes a straight path up. Might have been due to the bar rolling back towards your shins and changing your setup angles before the pull begins (the vid shows it moves back an inch or so). But again, PR man! And great progress over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    Great stuff over here, really enjoying the quarterly reports and your "meets"!

You might, however, like to check depth on 365 and especially 375 squat with someone knowledgeable)))

Awesome work on press, some strong shit there! And Bench progress too, you think the Incline accessory doing much for these??

(tapatalk)
    Thanks! I don't have enough experience to know if the accessory is helping or not, but the LP isn't showing any signs of slowing down, and based on my reading upper body/pressing seems to like volume so I'm giving it volume.

re: depth, here are stills from each one. Camera angle isn't great for 375 but I am happy with depth on all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Mirin' hard! I see what you mean about your last deadlift though. The first part of your pull is pretty much entirely loss of back extension. It goes from flat to round before the weight has moved much at all. Because it's heavy!

Run it by your coach, but I reckon the bar is too close to you when you start pulling on your last deadlift. You can see mid-pull you rock back on your heels (and your toes raise), and at lockout the bar ends up forward from where it starts on the floor. That can't happen if it takes a straight path up. Might have been due to the bar rolling back towards your shins and changing your setup angles before the pull begins (the vid shows it moves back an inch or so). But again, PR man! And great progress over time.
    Thanks! I didn't really notice the rock and bar path before. Going through frame by frame at the start, I actually have the bar come back a bit right as it comes off the floor. I'll get some lighter volume work in on Wednesday with video, keeping an eye on setup, bar path, back angle etc. See if I can get this sorted.

Start of the pull, bar leaving ground side-by-side

Not great. Looks like I'm leading with hip drive or something, which gets things out of whack. Maybe if I picture driving my chest straight up or something. I'll re-read some SSBBT.
    Last edited by cgeorg; 10-31-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Week 40

Sunday and Monday I did BW/dumbell stuff around the house as active recovery. Jumping back in on HLM light day/every day is heavy press day...

Bench Press 45x10 95x6 145x3 185x[5,5,8] PR
    Getting antsy to add pounds, maybe on Wednesdays I'll add 5 instead of 2-3, at least until AMRAP sets drop closer to 5-6?

Light Squat up to 255x5x3
    Going to start belting these, right SI is dumb.

SGDL 95x5 135x5 185x5 225x5x3
    Around 60% of my tested DL 1RM. First time doing them... seems ok? Here's the last set:

At first I was out around 3in from the collar, but that turned out to have consequences at the top of the motion, so I brought my hands in to just outside the rings. This also happens to be where the bar sits on the deadlift wedge, which made my left hand/forearm fairly sad near end the of last sets. Tried hook grip but that is harder than regular DOH for me at that grip width. I have short fingers or something. I'll see if there's a regular bar that's not too worn down in that spot next time. I feel like I could engage my lats better.

Oh, right, why did I add these? Well I had the rev hypers and GHRs in for back stuff and these seem more specific to why I added back stuff, plus it's some grip work which is cool, plus it should get upper back a little more and reasons?

SQDL was superset with Chins BWx3, Pull-ups BWx[1,3,2,2,1]

5 sets of Andy Baker's stupid 1:00 on/1:00 off treadmill thing that I know is good for me but I don't want to do. Sets 4 and 5 only lasted :50 and :45, respectively.

starting strength coach development program
    11/4/2016

Can't currently find my log notebook. Luckily I have things here for reference.

Press 45x? 95x6 125x3 148x[5,5,5] PR
    @9.5 or so. Hoping to get a few more jumps out of these yet.

Med Squat up to 285x5x3
    Probably @7, 4 min interset rest. Gym belt I've been using wasn't around, so I loosened mine 1 notch and used it. First set dug into ribs, so the next 2 I fastened it so the bottom was actually on my hip bones. I probably should have gone 3in, and/or some suede. Oh well.

Med Grip Incline 95x5 140x[10,10,8]
    @9.5

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast