• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Day 1 Nutrition:

3,005 cals
    194 protein
    367 carbs
    79 fat

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
    Appreciate the note. I'm currently a bit skeptical about how long I'll be able to LP, because I have a hard time mentally accepting I can move some of the weight required. It's also hard to envision myself gaining 30#. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not far from Kingwood. I might have to swing over there to meet Andy at some point. I think he's a fellow Aggie.
    When I squatted 200 I wasn't sure how I would ever move 202 15 times. Ditto for benching at 132. Honestly if it hadn't been for the evidence I've accumulated in every workout prior I'd say there's no way I could get 232 up for squat on Wednesday. The program is solid - make sure you eat a lot of good stuff and sleep as well as you can. I struggle to hit my calories and sleep hours, but getting close is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    When I squatted 200 I wasn't sure how I would ever move 202 15 times. Ditto for benching at 132. Honestly if it hadn't been for the evidence I've accumulated in every workout prior I'd say there's no way I could get 232 up for squat on Wednesday. The program is solid - make sure you eat a lot of good stuff and sleep as well as you can. I struggle to hit my calories and sleep hours, but getting close is better than nothing.
    Thanks. I don't think I'll have trouble hitting calories/macros, as I'm pretty conditioned to do that properly as long as I have a goal in mind.

Sleep, on the other hand, is always going to be a challenge, because I wake up at 4:30am to beat traffic and to allow myself to workout downtown prior to work. It's hard to get in bed and be asleep by 8:30pm.

Really hoping someone might chime in today who has experience with the SS app. I'm still curious why it's recommended that I wait 72 hours before my second workout. I'm planning to do it tomorrow morning (48 hours) unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I'm still curious why it's recommended that I wait 72 hours before my second workout. I'm planning to do it tomorrow morning (48 hours) unless someone convinces me otherwise.
    No need to wait 72 hours - 48 hours should be plenty in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    No need to wait 72 hours - 48 hours should be plenty in your situation.
    Muchas gracias.

(for reference - for standard LP Rip suggests a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, i.e. two 48 and one 72 hour breaks. When 48 hours are not enough to recover from the previous workout, you'll notice pretty quickly, and you'll have to adjust your programming).

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    (for reference - for standard LP Rip suggests a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, i.e. two 48 and one 72 hour breaks. When 48 hours are not enough to recover from the previous workout, you'll notice pretty quickly, and you'll have to adjust your programming).
    Right, MWF was my plan. I was just taken aback when the app recommended otherwise and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. I thought it might have had to do with me deadlifting more than my bodyweight right out of the gate since it congratulated me on that right before recommending I wait 72 hours.

Looking forward to lifting tomorrow -- after doing five-day splits for a year, it's driving me a bit nuts to not have lifted this morning.

Stats: 176.6 lbs @ 6'2"

Warmup: Per the SS app

Squat: 185 lbs. (+10)

Did these in my garage due to a severe storm. I usually have a half hour drive to wake up a bit more, but I hit the rack around 5am. A few weeks ago, I was doing 200x4x3, so I'm surprised 185# felt so heavy, but it did. I always feel like my Rogue bar and bumpers feel heavier than the weights at the Y. Form felt B+.

Bench Press: 150lbs.

I was also expecting these to feel lighter since I was recently doing 170x4x3. They were pretty solid, though. Need to film my grip to make sure forearms are vertical. I have a nagging pain where bar rests on left hand (have had this for several months). It's going to be a problem as the weight gets heavier.

Deadlift: 235lbs. (+10)

These felt pretty good except I'm still not used to using an overhand grip. My mental toughness broke down, and I went to the flip grip for the last rep, which made the pull so much easier. How diehard are we about using overhand grip?

Sleep and Nutrition:

Slept roughly 7 hours and ate 2,965 calories yesterday (327c/87f/207p). Foam rolled before bed and about passed out from the pain; took some ZMA, which has help me with soreness in the past.

Thoughts:

a) I've never done squats more than once per week. This is going to take some adjustment. It'll give me some confidence if I ever do Dan John's MMS, though.

b) My hips kill me (flexor area, probably the tendon). I've struggled with this for months and the pain seems to dull as I go heavier. I question whether this is from my past workout having three leg exercises in a row (e.g. back squat, front squat, barbell lunge) all for three sets of 4-6. I also question whether my old programming with leg press did this; I think I was able to go heavier on the leg press than I really should and it took a toll. I'm hoping to just work through it.

c) I need to work on having afternoon snacks. I had to eat about 1100 calories last night between 6-8pm.

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose someone has mentioned this but it is not helpful to do a great deal of extra exercises during LP. Wait until you move about LP and then play around with some.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast