Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Damufunman's Novice Log

Default Damufunman's Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

A brief introduction before getting into it:

28 years old, 5'10" male, currently about 185 lbs.

Started NDTP around January after a 2 year layoff from my first go at SS due to a herniated disc at L5-S1 (probably) from not taking the rounded back thing seriously while deadlifting. Continuing my Novice LP, which looks like squats might be getting to advanced Novice stage, and presses approaching third reset iirc.

Yesterday's (4/18) workout looked like

Squat: 285 x 5 x 3
    Press: 120 x 5, 4, 3 been doing 2.5 lb jumps, but missed a few workouts lately. Going to reset next workout.
    Deadlift: tried 325, didn't get past 1" off the ground. Did 285 x 5, meant to do 2 sets, but second set wouldn't budge.

Deadlifting has not been keeping up with the squat and I can't figure out if I'm doing to much or too little. Tried adding a bit more reign didn't seem to work, so I'm going to switch to DL once a week, with power cleans and chin ups.

Thanks for looking, and I'll do my best to stay up to date.

Deadlifting has not been keeping up with the squat and I can't figure out if I'm doing to much or too little. Tried adding a bit more reign didn't seem to work, so I'm going to switch to DL once a week, with power cleans and chin ups.
    Welcome to the forum! DL 40lb over squat looks like a healthy ratio for a novice, even if increases have slowed down - and since you are above three plates and a bit into the novice program already, DL once a week + powerclean sound like a good idea. Just gotta be patient and eventually transition into an advanced novice routine lift by lift after squeezing every bit out of LP.

Good luck!

Welcome. Given your previous mishap with the Deads might I suggest a consult with a coach or even pay for some sessions to make sure you aren't inviting more injury.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the forum! DL 40lb over squat looks like a healthy ratio for a novice, even if increases have slowed down - and since you are above three plates and a bit into the novice program already, DL once a week + powerclean sound like a good idea. Just gotta be patient and eventually transition into an advanced novice routine lift by lift after squeezing every bit out of LP.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I've actually just reset from 315 squat w/ a 305 DL :/
    I'm considering deadlifting once a week and doing chins midweek to see if that helps any. I'm actually also thinking of adding in a light squat day once I'm back to three plates. I figured I would take a failure and elbow issues as a sign I should reset and work a few issues out before moving forward too much.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Given your previous mishap with the Deads might I suggest a consult with a coach or even pay for some sessions to make sure you aren't inviting more injury.
    Definitely being very cognizant of my form, and I've been recording most of my heavy DL attempts. I worked with a (non-SS) coach a couple times and got the OK as far as back of concerned. I'm going to see what SS coaches are around here and try to set something up. I've got pretty good kinesthetic awareness, so I have a good idea if what my back is doing, but in still a little frightened just because of how awful the 18 or so months were when u was injured. Definitely don't want to do that again, but haven't had any problems and I'm probably bailing sooner than I could. Thanks for the concern, I wouldn't wish what I had on my worst enemy.

4/20

Felt terrible warming up, possibly from eating to much too close to workout, and kept burping up yummies...

Squat: 295 x 2 didn't have it for 5, 275 x 5 felt like crap, 245 x 5 still hard

Bench: 170 x 5 x 3 deloaded from 185 which was failed twice, with a missed workout thrown in

Chinups: have done these since mid February...
    BW x 4, 2, 3 pathetic was doing 8 before, though at about 20 lbs lighter

Thought I'd get more volume in hopes of getting my elbow sorted out.

Assisted chins: 10 x 4, 20 x 4 [emoji29]

Should those be -10 and -20?

Think I'm going to start doing a light squat day Wednesday, although I made it up to 315 without a light day first time there... Maybe still tired from Monday's retarded deadlift sets. See how I feel next week.

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Thanks! I've actually just reset from 315 squat w/ a 305 DL :/
    I'm considering deadlifting once a week and doing chins midweek to see if that helps any. I'm actually also thinking of adding in a light squat day once I'm back to three plates. I figured I would take a failure and elbow issues as a sign I should reset and work a few issues out before moving forward too much.
    Elbow issues? Are you having them just when you squat?

The high-rep chin protocol + curlz for the girlz might help. I found that hammer curls were the best for my elbow, and made the pain immediately go away (in the short term).

People often suggest widening the grip as well. I might be the weird one out there, but I found that maintaining my grip width (it's pretty narrow, just outside of my shoulders) and bringing my arms more under the bar helped significantly. I like the cue elbows in and down for this.

Assisted chins would probably be -10 and -20.

I'm guessing it's due to squatting, with a little irritation pressing (after squatting) and occasionally in the World doing stuff.

For some reason I'm really against dropping my elbows down, as I have enough trouble keeping the bar on my back in the low bar position with elbows up, and I'm worried that'll shunt even more weight to the elbow.

I was worried about this at first too, but have had minimal elbow pain flare ups since switching. For me, I think it was mostly on heavy sets I would try to lift my elbows on the way up. Not only was this not effective in helping me squat the weight up, but I contributed to the elbow issues. Bringing them down and in helped me.

Maybe a wider grip and the cue to tuck your elbows in (but not down) will help.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll play around with it. Did you find you had to deload and work on it first?

Here's a video from behind of setup (can't get a still) to give an idea if my narrower grip. I think I have longish forearms, not sure how that might affect things.

Squat warm-up 185 x 3, rear view setup - YouTube

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast