starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Only Had a Heart - Heath's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by heath123 View Post
    Had a coaching session with Michael Wolf today. No major issues, but got some new cues to work with as the weight get's heavier. Deadlifting 1x bodyweight and advanced to the big boy plates with squat. Current goals, 135 bench/press, 225 squat and 315 deadlift.
    Same age. Same current goals here. Kick some ass Heath.

I am allergic to dairy, and unfortunately ate some by accident today. The results were explosive. Lifts felt very heavy today and the speed was slower. I definitely think it was due to food issues.

We have too much in common - I'm lactose intolerant and I know what you mean! 😬

Things that have helped me A LOT...

Mobility work every 5+ days (10-20 min) a week on hips and shoulders

Bracing whole body - really focusing on it
    (feet=>knees=>glutes=>abs=>shoulders/arms)

Sleep as much as possible!

Today felt heavy!!

I was exhausted going into the workout. But being able to complete all the sets as designed was a huge mental boost. After my set of squats, I did not think there was any way I could complete the Deadlift set. And yet, I made it.

Confidence seems to be the limiting factor at the moment. The weight is getting intimidating, almost to the point of psyching myself out. What is currently helping me through it is just focusing on the cues, taking it one step at a time and breathing correctly. I have been enjoying the linear progression, but at 43, I think I do not have too much time left on this current path. I think my first missed rep is coming soon.

I am currently increasing 10lbs on Deads and Squat and 5lbs on Bench/Press. I think I have about another week left at 10lb jumps and 5lb on press. Bench still feels light and can probably continue a few more weeks. I am hoping to get to 225lbs on Deads before I drop to 5lb progression.

Todays workout.
    Squat - 155lbs 3x5
    Bench - 70lbs 3x5
    Dead - 205lbs 3x5

There comes a point when every workout feels heavy and you have to remind yourself "this is only 5 lbs more than last week - I can do this."

Today felt heavy!!

Confidence seems to be the limiting factor at the moment. The weight is getting intimidating, almost to the point of psyching myself out. What is currently helping me through it is just focusing on the cues, taking it one step at a time and breathing correctly. I have been enjoying the linear progression, but at 43, I think I do not have too much time left on this current path. I think my first missed rep is coming soon.
    I remember when squats got intimidating. That's when I discovered the psychological side to lifting. I just keep telling myself it's only 5 more pounds than last time; a measly 2.5lbs per side. Also remember what seems insurmountable now will be a warm up weight not too far down the road.

I worked out at a different gym today. I am visiting my father and went to the gym he belongs. They had a body strength rack and bumper plates, so I was able to get everything done.

Only increased Squat by 5lbs this workout. I could have probably done 10lbs as everything was moving really well, but decided to make the change sooner than required. Next workout will be a 225lb Deadlift and then I will switch to 5lb changes (I really want to get to two plates). I took a bigger jump on bench press as I feel like I am not working hard enough on bench. I will stick with 5lb jumps until it gets a bit harder.

Last edited by heath123; 05-29-2016 at 06:18 PM.

I pulled two big boy plates (225lbs) today. Very exciting.

Novice LP
    Squat - 165lbs
    Press - 75lbs
    Deadlift - 22lbs

Congrats on your pulls!

I think moving to 5 lb jumps before you're exhausted and failing 10 lb jumps is smart.

starting strength coach development program
    Todays word is DOMS. I know it is part of the process, but I might have done too much for this aging body to recover by Monday's workout.

I have reduced the incremental jumps for Squat, Deads and Press. Kept Bench at 5lbs, as it still feels light.

Friday's workout went well, but I had doubts I would be able complete all sets. The mind definitely plays tricks to get you to back off. After the first Squat workset, I was not sure I could get another rep. Bracing was the key to success. Staying tight and digging deep. After squats, bench seemed easy, but I already felt the muscle soreness setting in. By the time I was doing deadlifts, I was not sure I could be able to pick up anything off the ground. But again, focused on the breathing and everything went well. The main soreness is in my lower back (don't feel much in the legs). It's definitely muscle building pain, not bad pain.

If I am making all the lifts, but the DOMS is intense, am I working too hard. Or do I keep pushing forward?

Time for the heating pad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast