starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Only Had a Heart - Heath's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After some searching the SS Forum, I think I realized that I am hyperextending on my Squats. This is a note that was given to me at my last coaching session, but that I forgot about. When bracing properly, it mitigates the issue, but I am still pushing out my ass too much which hyperextends my back. Next session, I will focus on maintaining a neutral back position, without arch or hyperextension.

Soreness feels similar to when I used to do heavy Good Mornings.

Yesterday I went for a 7 mile bike ride with the GF. It was good to get the muscles moving and helped loosen things up.

Do you have an idea how many calories you need, and macros (protein, carbs, fat)? I ask in terms of the DOMS you mention. Proper calories and macros don't prevent DOMS, but they are integral to recovery and adaptation.

@Charlocity2, I can guarantee that I am NOT getting the calories or sleep that I need for the most efficient recovery and adaptation. I know my average calories burned is 2315 for the last month. I know average sleep is 6 hours for the last month. I know I need to eat more. I know I need to sleep more.

My current (short term) goal is to use the lifting to build my confidence to be able to tackle some of these other issues. It's definitely a chicken versus egg type of situation. I am using lifting as the foundation for me to be able to tackle some other life issues. Yes, the lifting will go slower until I get everything in order, but I currently have access to the lifting in ways I do not have access to the other areas.

My back is still really sore from last weeks workouts, so I reduced the weights last night. I went from squatting 45lbs to 167.5 lbs in about 8 weeks(Edit: Actually it was only 5 weeks), which I was very happy with. But even dropping to 135lbs Squat last night, I could feel the muscles were not ready ready to continue at the same weight. 2 weeks of 5lb jumps will get me right back to 165lb, so I decided to pull it back a bit.

I do not think there is anything "wrong", since my back just feels sore like I have been lifting weights. There isn't any radiating pain or pinched feeling or "bad" pain. I just think at 43 I am not adapting to such a significant increase in weight quick enough to keep going at this rate.

Next coaching session is at the end of this month, so if there is anything is awry, I will get it straightened out then.

My back is still really sore from last weeks workouts, so I reduced the weights last night.
    At our age, at times it's wise to temporarily reduce the load to prevent injury. You are doing the right thing - let your body tell you how quickly you can ramp back up. Also, an occasional week off or light week will do wonders to prevent a deeper recovery deficit/overtraining. I've had to do this a few times. 5/3/1 prescribes a light week after every 6 weeks. Not a bad idea.

I think it's very astute that you have coaching lined up. I'd hate to have to quantify time wasted when I began, without coaching, but we learn from our mistakes.

I remember the first time I did 135lb squats like it was two weeks ago (it was). It was during my first coaching session and my form was good. Then I progressed to 167.5lb and I started really feeling it in my back (DOMS or was it a muscle strain), so I decided to reset to 135lbs. While it now feels very manageable, mentally I am struggling. Tonight I could not figure out if I had the bar in the correct position. I was doing exactly as I was coached, but I kept doubting myself, checking position constantly. (I google image searched as well) I did a second training session at 135lbs squats focusing on form. I will video myself on Monday and post for review. I have to get my mental game straightened out on squats.

Another interesting discovery is the bracing. I realized that I need to relax my pelvic floor before breathing in to fill deep in my body. I get a much better brace in my lower back if I relax my pelvic floor. I am not currently using a belt, but have one on order. I am not sure if the belt would help my bracing or if I need to get it fixed first. I have been breathing my entire life and I still need to practice it.

I almost skipped another training session, but according to the book, if you can warmup and achieve full range of motion, keep going. There is not any pain/discomfort during the initial warmup sets and range of motion is really good, so I went to the gym. I always feel really energized and in a good mood after a workout.

135lb squat (form correct?)
    95lb Bench (just starting to feel it)
    200lb Deads (I love deadlifting)

The belt will help your bracing.

I only planned to take a 15 minute nap, but 45 minutes later I woke up with my dog sleeping on top of me and late for the gym.

A week and a half ago, I realized that something must be wrong. Squats felt more like good mornings than squats. My lower back was a lot more sore than my legs. I was not doing something correct while squatting, but I could not figure out what it was. I started thinking it has to be bar position.

Today I rewatched this video, The Squat - Bar Position. I realized that my bar position was definitely not right. But using a PVC pipe I had around the house, I just could not find the right position. I realized that what I was actually doing was a low bar movement with the bar placed in the high bar position, on my traps. So when I leaned over in my squat, the bar was in front of my center of gravity and I was doing a weird Good Morning with the weight.

At the gym tonight, I tried playing with bar position. Sitting on top of my scapula was definitely wrong, but I could not quite find the spot where the bar locks in just under the top of the scapula as shown in the video. Did I always have the bar position too high? When did I switch the bar position? One thing was certain, a lower bar position made the movement significantly easier. 140lbs felt just as easy as 45lbs with the bar just below the top of the scapula(bar laying on scapula, then moving just a bar thickness below this point). And I felt the work in my legs instead of my back. I have another coaching session at the end of the month, so I will definitely review the bar position as I am still not 100% sure I have it correct.

Since the squats felt light, I had a lot more energy for the other lifts. Both the OHP and Deadlifts felt really good.

140lb Squat
    70lb OHP
    205 Deadlift

starting strength coach development program
    Last nights workout went really well.

I think I am close to having the correct bar position for the squat and it has made a huge difference. I feel really strong in my legs now and can feel the muscles working. Not having any rear delts, I am concerned about not having a good "shelf" for the weight to sit on. Will review with the coach.

For some reason, sometimes the SS app has me doing two days of pressing in a row. Last night was one of those cases.

Deadlifts felt good, but I felt an imbalance in my hips. I will keep an eye on this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast