starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength on Keto

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I was wondering why it was such an easy squat workout today and then I realized that I did 255 and not 265 today.
    So annoying! Just waisted a workout.
    Last edited by nateg; 07-18-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Wrong Weights for Squats

I got too greedy on the deadlifts today and went up by 15lb. Pulled the first one with rounded back and second one felt more straight, but couldn't pull the third one without rounding back again.
    I spent so much time on my squats over the last few weeks that I haven't been paying as much attention to the deadlifts. I'll deload by 5 or 10 lb next week and work on having straighter back.

Default Wow! Great Workout.

I've been intermittent fasting over the past little while and I may have found the sweet spot for me.
    18/6 except on lift days where I have a protein shake right after training. Energy level has been amplified even with 5-6hrs of sleep a night.
    I still get 3200 calories each day and between 120 and 160g of protein.

Press - felt like the first time I did it right.

1st Squat PR in a couple of weeks since the reset.
    Might need a form check. I've fixed what I could see.

The 4lb increase is from binge eating carbs and drinking over the weekend.
    Nothing to get exited over It will probably be gone by my next workout

Default Resetting Deadlift

Deadlift - Last warm up set felt good with no belt and no straps. I have no problem keeping my back straight.
    At 290 my calves and hamstrings felt fatigued at the bottom of the lift. My lower back feels like its compensating for my weak hamstrings.

I'm considering moving deadlifts to Monday or Friday workout. Even light squats feel really heavy on light day.

Jumping a little backwards on your log I see you are training as a keto-adapted athlete. Was wondering how strict you are with it? How did you get started? Any information I should read? (Just finished "The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Performance)
    I started last week because my blood sugar was totally wacked and brought it down 48 points in a week (have also lost 9 pounds, likely water). Picked a good time because it was also my deload week and the first few days were Jeb Bush low energy days. Will likely have to live this way to control blood sugar for the rest of my life.

Default First 90 Days of SS

Missed Fridays workout. I think thats my first missed workout since I stared SS. It would have been useless if I went in.
    Averaging 4-5 hrs of sleep a night, not eating all my calories and extra physically demanding work all week left me feeling extremely sore ( mostly back).
    While not sore today, on one side of my back feels like I pulled a muscle or something. It felt good having the bar on my back as if it was stretching the muscle just the right way, but couldn't hit a PR.

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed now.
    I feel like If I was to take a deadload week + reset everything by 10%, this week is the one.
    This ways I could get my squats bellow my deadlifts and this time give the deadlifts as much attention as my squats have been getting.

While writing this I just realized that this is my 3 month mark for SS
    Squat 155 -> 270
    Deadlift 155 -> 280
    Press 95 -> 120
    Bench 135 -> 170
    Power clean ? -> ?
    Body Weight 160 -> 160
    Body fat% ? -> lower

Last edited by nateg; 08-01-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    Was wondering how strict you are with it? How did you get started? Any information I should read?
    Excluding the last 2 weekends I would consider myself pretty strict. With that said I find SKD to be the best way to go.
    When I go for 3 weeks + with no cheat days is when I feel the best and have the most energy.
    I've tried adding carbs to workout days and it doesn't really help me with energy, but makes me want to consume more carbs making it harder to say in keto.

I was most strict when I started. 20g of carbs or less. I used the piss tests(~$10) to see when I'm in keto or not and noted how much carbs and protein was too much. I did this about twice a day for maybe a month.
    After being in and out of keto for a while, unless you wanted an accurate reading of blood ketone level, you'll be able to tell if your in keto from the scent of your breath or piss (I also get really hot the first day or so).

Find these guys on podcasts like the Tim Ferris Show, Found My Fitness, and The Quantified Body
    Dr. Dominic P. D'Agostino (Power lifter)
    Dr. Peter Attia (Endurance athlete)
    Last edited by nateg; 08-01-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: name of podcasts

Thanks for sharing that info. Don't know anybody else doing this.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm just curious, but are you at all concerned about doing the novice program and not gaining any weight?

If you can pull it off; that's wonderful. The consensus, however, is a stall may be in your future.

Not naysaying; it's be interesting to see how your approach pans out.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast