starting strength gym
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirimiti's SS log - Novice Female

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Yeah, depth definitely looks good. Work on tightening up the lower back to keep your upper body from flattening out into those good morning reps. If your hips are moving up the bar should be too!

Way to grind those reps out, keep up the good work.
    Am I really going too flat? I agree that the 4th rep was pretty bad but I thought the rest looked like a consistent angle.

Can you explain how tightening up the lower back keeps the upper back from flattening into a good-morning? Is my lower back too loose?

I may actually use that line as a cue:
    "Hips go up, so bar goes up"

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sirimiti View Post
    So I tried the ankle mobility test t-money suggested and I really don't think my ankles are the issue because I got 5 inches from the wall but it was fun to see and I tried the others (yay, my ankles are optimal!).

I suspect it is the "core" strength (dirty word around here as I understand ;P) that I need the work on. I frequently find myself relaxing my abs in order to maintain lumbar extension. I need to figure out how to balance that out. It seems like focusing on one always releases the other. I guess that comes with practice though.
    I'm jealous of your ankle mobility.

;-)

I'm still not quite to 5!

Quote Originally Posted by t-money View Post
    I used to good morning on my squats. For me, it was a mixture of lack of core strength and ankle mobility.

If that's not it, another cue I found really helpful was to focus on driving up with my hips.
    Have you noticed any improvement of core strength and how it affects the good-mornings? I think that might be my problem.

Wouldn't the cue to drive up with the hips make the problem worse? I keep thinking "hip drive" and I know Ripp focuses on that but I thought he also said that occasionally the cue of "chest up" is used to help keep a consistent back angle when the hips rise too fast. Unless I understood the reasoning wrong.

I thought he also said that occasionally the cue of "chest up" is used to help keep a consistent back angle when the hips rise too fast. Unless I understood the reasoning wrong.
    That's correct -- I need that cue occasionally also. For me, setting my back angle immediately ("nipples down") is the cue that fixes my occasional squat mornings, but you seem to be setting your back angle well from the outset, so I don't know if that would be helpful. I'd say try "chest up" next time -- you've got great hip drive already.

Have you noticed any improvement of core strength and how it affects the good-mornings? I think that might be my problem.

Wouldn't the cue to drive up with the hips make the problem worse? I keep thinking "hip drive" and I know Ripp focuses on that but I thought he also said that occasionally the cue of "chest up" is used to help keep a consistent back angle when the hips rise too fast. Unless I understood the reasoning wrong.
    I had a really weak core when I started squatting, so I went from my chest completely collapsing at the bottom of a squat to good mornings. It's a lot less of an issue now. I think you just have to take it slow with adding weight to the bar and focus on good form and bracing your core. You look like you have the bracing down with your breaths, so that's great.

I think a key with using hip drive is that you have to drive up with your hips *through the center of your foot*. I had the epiphany moment with deadlifts when I realized it was less about pulling the bar up as pushing down on the floor through your feet. The same cue I found I could use with squats. So when I squat I'm conscious over which part of my foot the bar is balanced. If I noticed it's over my toes, and that still happens, I'll good morning. Balancing on and consciously pushing through the center of my foot helps me a lot in not having good mornings.

Different cues definitely work for different folks. I had coaches tell me to explode up. I was like... ?!?. Does not compute. In my experience it was best to spend time with light weight, not quite the bar but enough to not be just air squats, and try different things until I found the things I could focus on that made me feel strongest and most stable. So if you feel something isn't working for you, then totally just ignore it. They're all mental tricks to get your body in the right position.

;-) Just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    you've got great hip drive already.
    Thank you! I never thought I would be happy to hear that ;P

I will try the ''chest up'' next time. I remember it is not a cue to lead with the chest but to just keep the angle. I was really focusing on the hips but I guess I have that part working right

Quote Originally Posted by t-money View Post
    I had a really weak core when I started squatting, so I went from my chest completely collapsing at the bottom of a squat to good mornings. It's a lot less of an issue now. I think you just have to take it slow with adding weight to the bar and focus on good form and bracing your core. You look like you have the bracing down with your breaths, so that's great.

I think a key with using hip drive is that you have to drive up with your hips *through the center of your foot*. I had the epiphany moment with deadlifts when I realized it was less about pulling the bar up as pushing down on the floor through your feet. The same cue I found I could use with squats. So when I squat I'm conscious over which part of my foot the bar is balanced. If I noticed it's over my toes, and that still happens, I'll good morning. Balancing on and consciously pushing through the center of my foot helps me a lot in not having good mornings.

Different cues definitely work for different folks. I had coaches tell me to explode up. I was like... ?!?. Does not compute. In my experience it was best to spend time with light weight, not quite the bar but enough to not be just air squats, and try different things until I found the things I could focus on that made me feel strongest and most stable. So if you feel something isn't working for you, then totally just ignore it. They're all mental tricks to get your body in the right position.

;-) Just trying to help.
    Thank you for the tips. Wow, the chest collapsing sounds scary!

I think you may be on to something with the bar being in balance over the foot. I know Ripp has tried to pound it into everybody's heads just how important being in balance is. I try to keep it over mid-foot but I think I forget/focus on other things once the weight gets heavier and I can't feel it very well. I will try to really feel the bar through my feet (does that sound weird?).

I don't think the "explode up" cue would work for me neither. Did you see me grinding those last reps? I am not exploding anywhere with that weight ;D

Am I really going too flat? I agree that the 4th rep was pretty bad but I thought the rest looked like a consistent angle.

Can you explain how tightening up the lower back keeps the upper back from flattening into a good-morning? Is my lower back too loose?

I may actually use that line as a cue:
    "Hips go up, so bar goes up"

Thank you

You kind of answered your question there - it looked to me like your back angle was collapsing a little as your drove your hips up. For me, it's lower back squeeze that keeps that from happening. Something else may work for you - it looks like you've gotten some other ideas/feedback as well.

I filmed all my lifts today (except the camera cut out on the last power clean set):

SQ: 105lbs x 5, 5, 2, 5

I am going to go ahead and count this one as a win. I bailed on rep 3 of set 3 and decided to rest a couple more minutes and go back for the last 3 to complete the set (but still to be repeated next time). I was angry and went in on ATTACK! mode. I ended up completing the set so I was pretty happy with myself (I may have had a little maniacal laugh going in my head upon finishing).

Methinks it be time to commence triples on squats. This is around the weight where I got stuck before my vacation.

Here are the last 2 sets (the one I bailed and the one I finished with). My form might be shitty but I was still really happy just to have done it.

08/08 - SQ 105lbs x 2 (bail) - YouTube

08/08 - SQ 105lbs x 5 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    OP: 56lbs x 3 x 6 (oops!)

I went into my press feeling great because of the squats so I really like how these felt, even with the accidental extra rep. I noticed my wrists are too bent so I need to fix where the bar sits in my hand and I am not doing the hip rebound.

08/08 - OP 56lbs x 5 - YouTube

PC: 80lbs x 5 x 3 (set #4 because my camera ran out of space)

I was running late because of squats so I was rushing my power cleans. I have trouble putting them down while keeping my back straight and not knocking my knees on the way past. I also supersetted them with jump assisted chin-ups so I was out of breath. BTW, I started doing jump chins in May and could only do 3 x 7 and now I can almost make 3 x 12 (I am also a bit heavier). Yay progress!

08/08 - PC 80lbs x 3 - YouTube
    Last edited by Sirimiti; 08-09-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: 6 reps

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast