starting strength gym
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Thread: Sirimiti's SS log - Novice Female

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does a power clean count if I land in a sumo-width stance to rack it?
    Yep. They generally count it as a power clean if it's a quarter squat or less.

It depends.
    You don't want to do the starfish thing.
    But landing wide, or wider, with your knees OUT is acceptable on maximum power cleans.

Some coaches say 1/4 squat, or above paralell, or knee angle <135 degrees.

An example of a bad "sumo clean":

An example of a wide/low catch...but knee, hip, ankle are all is a good spot....like a good squat or sumo, knee is over ankle, stable. @ 7:01

Quote Originally Posted by 76now View Post
    Yep. They generally count it as a power clean if it's a quarter squat or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    It depends.
    You don't want to do the starfish thing.
    But landing wide, or wider, with your knees OUT is acceptable on maximum power cleans.

Some coaches say 1/4 squat, or above paralell, or knee angle <135 degrees.

An example of a bad "sumo clean":

An example of a wide/low catch...but knee, hip, ankle are all is a good spot....like a good squat or sumo, knee is over ankle, stable. @ 7:01

Thanks you two. Based on the videos, I am counting my power clean PR. Sumo landing and all. My knees were still aimed out, just with wider feet. No starfishing.

Tuesday, Feb. 27:

DL - 130 (1×5), 150 (1×5), 170 (1×6!), 185 (3×1), 135 (3×8)
    Chins - 4×1!
    Leg Press - 90 (3×10)
    10 min Bike

Woo, 4 chins! Done in between sets of the other stuff. They actually felt pretty easy and fast. I didn't feel like squatting though so decided to do some leg pressing.

Thursday, Mar. 1:

OP - 75 (1×3,F), 70 (3×3), 65 (1×5), 60 (1×7), 55 (1×9), 50 (1×11), 55 (1×13)
    SPD - 110 (1×5), 99 (3×5)

Meh. I tried a chin today too and barely got my nose up there.

The past week has been kind of weird for me. I have very little motivation to go train or even boxing. I also find myself just eating piles of crappy carbs (cookies, lasagna, shepherd's pie, ice cream, pizza, cake). I basically thought about leftover pizza (the best kind of pizza) and chocolate cake the entire time I was training today. This is especially odd because I literally had no interest in this stuff for nearly 2 months.

Friday, Mar. 2:

SQ - 105 (1×5), 125 (1×5), 145 (1×7!), 135 (1×5), 115 (3×5), 95 (3×8)
    RDL - 95 (3×10)
    DB Rows - 25 (3×10)
    Face Pulls - 10kg (3×10)

A nice guy let me work in with him to squat. I don't think I have ever gone through my squats so fast. I was trying my hardest to not interfere with his training. It actually went pretty well though.

Saturday, Mar. 3:

No training but I walked around downtown Montreal and the Old Port for 5 hours with my mom because she wanted to take photos for her visual arts course. It was fun but exhausting.

Sunday, Mar. 4:

BP - 95 (1×7), 110 (1×F), 95 (3×3), 85 (1×5), 75 (1×7), 65 (1×9), 55 (1×11), 45 (1×13)
    Ass. CU - 10kg (1×5)
    Ass. Dips - 10kg (1×8)
    SPD - 45kg (1×8), 42.5kg (1×8), 40kg (1×8)
    Front Raises - 15 (3×10)

A bit too ambitious to try 110 today. I also tried to do a chin Friday and today but could only make it up to my nose. I also may have gone a bit overboard on the squats Friday. OMG, the DOMS!

Monday, Mar. 5: AMBW 135 lbs

Boxing for 1.5 hours
    Face Pulls - 25 (3×10)

I got to the gym a bit earlier than expected so I joined the class in session.

Wednesday, Mar. 7:

DL - 140 (1×3), 160 (1×3), 180 (1×3), 190 (3×1), 140 (5×5), 155 (1×5)
    SQ - 75 (5×10)
    CU - 5×1!
    10 min on Bike

So the chins felt pretty easy again today. I seem to be able to do them much better after deadlifts. The same thing happened last week. I would have expected the opposite.

Also, some weird dude asked to work in with me on my back-off sets. I didn't mind at first but then he started asking me stuff like "What are your goals?", "How much do you want to lift?", "If I can do a few reps, does that mean the weight is too light?", "Am I strong for my age?" 😕

I have seen him at the gym quite often with his father (I think this guy's a teen) and he has asked me if I like powerlifting and commented that I am strong. I think he is trying to be friendly but it comes across super awkward/slightly creepy and I just cringe.

Also, I don't use clips when I deadlift (no particular reason, maybe laziness) but my reps are pretty stable so the plates don't move much. This kid ended up with the plates 6 inches out on one side by the end of each set. Then he'd just walk away to let me deal with putting them back in place for my set. Dude, use some damn clips if you need them! He was alternating between sumo and conventional stance to pull 155 and psyching himself up for each set of 5, making it seem like each one was a limit attempt. I wonder what he's going to do when he actually gets to a 5RM. He called his father over at one point to start clapping encouragement. I ended up pulling 155 after my back-offs just because I was annoyed.

This kid and his father are also quite vocal in their encouragement, with lots of back slapping, clapping, yelling, etc. To the point of excess. I think I saw some shoving and a chest-bump once. There is encouraging someone for a difficult set or rep and then there are these two starting with the warm-ups. The entire weights section of the gym has stopped a couple times to stare in amazement at the antics.

The kid was there alone one evening and the father came in and started yelling at him to go home. He was pushing him a bit too and even knocked an open water bottle out of the kid's hands onto the floor. Gym staff had to be called over to deal with them and decide whether to call the cops.

Am I being too sensitive or overreacting?

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday, Mar. 8:

OP - 75 (1×5!), 85 (1×1!), 65 (3×5), 55 (2×8)
    Kickboxing - 1 hr light bag work
    Face Pulls - 30 (4×10)
    BP - 45 (3×10)
    BB Rows - 45 (3×10)

At first I was happy about the PRs but then I remembered this is the first time I have used the weights at my boxing gym, and I hit 2 PRs so I am suspicious about the weights. Not sure if I should count these as PRs.

Friday, Mar. 9:

15 floors of stairs on my lunch break at work, then some light cardio in the evening (10 min on treadmill, 10 min on bike, 5 min on rower) plus some more chins (5×1).

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970