• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday 10/2/2018

Farmer walk
    80#x400'

Wednesday 10/2/2018

Farmer Walk
    80x400 ft

10/6/2018 Saturday

Squat New "adjustomatic depth finder with genuine PVC" .... dial in your depth... which mine required some dialing LOL
    45x5
    135x3
    200x5x3

Press Finally back to regular press
    45x5
    80x5x3

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Squat New "adjustomatic depth finder with genuine PVC" .... dial in your depth... which mine required some dialing LOL
    FWIW, when I was working on this early on in my log, I used a bungee cord.

Thanks Mark! I used a bungee for a long time but could never get the depth/tension consistent and right.
    I suspend loops of para-cord from my safety bars, and insert a piece of pvc that is about 3" wider than my rack.
    When squatting heavy (for me) I don't get enough of a sensation from the bungee. The pvc is much more conspicuous.

10/8/2018
    Bench
    45x5
    105x5x3

Deadlift
    135x3
    235x4,1

Hee-hee! I guess my ass is just a little too sensitive. Must be I eat too much soy.

10/11/2018 Thu

Squat
    45x5
    135x3
    205x5x3

Press
    45x5
    85x5x3

10/14/2018 Sunday

Bench
    45x5
    105x5x3

Dead
    135x5
    185x3

247x0 miss load (mistook a 5&10 for a 2.5 & 5 on left)
    240x0
    225x0

Probably should have gone mixed grip after the first fail.

10/20/2018 Saturday 10am fasted

Squat
    45x5
    135x3
    210x0 back twinge
    190x0
    155x5x3

Press
    45x5
    90x5x3

Today was not a day about which songs will be sung... unless they are Country Western songs.
    It was like my wife left, my dog died and someone stole my pickup.

Probably had more to do with Atomic levels of stress, company got bought out, heavy workload due to the season, Department is 50% staffed, the layer of management above me will suffer 80% casualties minimum over the next 6 months.
    I suspect that without my lifting program I'd be leaving an ICU about now with a toe tag.
    "Rocky, people say you were lucky"
    "Do I look lucky?"
    As a matter of fact, I am lucky. Looks can be deceiving.
    Next week I take my lifting act to the "Fall Classic".
    My shoulder has made remarkable progress. A 90 lb work set for a 266 pound male is much more like an early warmup set. But for me, who couldn't lift my left arm when I signed up for the Fall Classic, it represents real progress.
    I couldn't do real (aka low bar) squats for a while, so Rogue kindly sent me a SB-1, (pretty sure they charged me). But I knew that Q4 2018 was a real time of trial.

Others would be ashamed of my lifts at the Fall Classic, and maybe they should be. I did what I needed to do to survive. I am not ashamed. Nor am I proud. I am where I deserve to be, like it or not.

I'm more pissed about missing the 240 Dead, and then needing to lay down after work instead of doing my Thursday workout.
    My over training symptoms were in full bloom... without training.

I went to a rather large 60th birthday party for a relative today. I saw a guy using a walker, who was in much better shape than I was in two years ago. He was moving about as well as I did, maybe a hair better. Wow, it all came back to me.
    I'm inspired by the guys on this forum who are doing so much better than I am. They execute better. They deserve their success.
    "They" might wonder, "why is that moron happy with what is going on?"
    Great question.
    My perspective includes hard core atrophy. I am now a mediocre lifter, not a cripple. I am an asset to my family, not a liability. It is a change, for which I am grateful.

starting strength coach development program
    Sucks about your work environment. Other than the two police departments I worked for, every-single-other(!) outfit I worked for went through this. The Rock Island Railroad bankrupted out of existence. The Santa Fe Railroad is now the Burlington Northern Santa Fe. Northrop got hyphenated with Grumman. Hughes got partly bought by Boeing. Pinkerton got bought by Securitas. I got laid off by Hughes in my early 40's and then by Boeing on April Fool's Day in 2016. The latter was actually a gift. I got 20 weeks severance for a layoff 6 months before I intended to retire anyway. For a while, I was making more on that and Social Security and unemployment than when I was still working for Boeing.

As I review my work history, I have concluded that I was something of a curse, a Jonah, or Joner, if you will, for my employers.

As to the guy with the walker? I ran an errand to Walmart and saw no less than 6 people in rascals during the space of the 10 minutes I was there. Go figger. Infirmity is all around us, and congratulations to working hard to getting ahead of yours.

Some of us old guys got lucky in their DNA and parents. The Old Man was an exceptional physical specimen until his stroke in his 70's. None of us DESERVE any measure of success we managed to realize. All of us, and you too!, EARN what we get, and sometimes luck out into by persistence.

So stay the course you already know has made you more capable. Bonne chance and audace, toujours de l'audace. Which nearly exhausts my smarts in Francais.

Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast