starting strength gym
Page 17 of 112 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    107x5x3 *** OGPR *** nice to have something after a underwhelming workout.
    again, nice job. And rather than "Old Guy PR" I look at this as "Well Seasoned PR".... you're getting after it and the work doing the shoveling counts.

1/25/2019

Thanks Hondotbt!
    I had been plagued by shoulder injuries early so my bench and press lagged.

outside 4F / in garage 31F - 33F (space heater.... those 2 degrees are more important than you'd think)

Bench
    45x5
    95x5
    158x5x3 ***OGPR****

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x5
    225x2 was getting a little dark on third attempt... which was going slow then stalled.

More shoveling today, not real bad, but being out in the cold seems tough.
    I think I'm mostly past my upper respiratory infection. Get after those early. Netti for the win.
    Work has been stressful. Layoffs in my area, and I am very unpopular with my manager.
    But, I'm a very lucky guy. I'll be able to lift more next cycle! I've got time. Maybe my garage will be warmer. LOL.

Sunday 3/2/2019

Lots of snow, -27F, after the cold workout on 1/25 seemed to have something... probably still that upper respiratory infection I thought I'd licked.

On the positive side, I was able to do great things with my snow blower and shovel.
    On the down side, it was 17 F in my garage on my scheduled workout day. And I was already sick.

Sunday 3/2/2019

Squat
    45x5
    95x5
    145x5
    165x5x3

Press
    45x5
    108x5,5,3 *OGPR* will repeat to get 3 sets of 5's

My Squat felt good but this is yet another deload from a recent 230x5x3.
    I'll take a bigger jump next session, I'll slow the increases to 5# at about 200. at 215, I'll go to 2.5# jumps.

Summary: sick, eating like crap, sleeping like crap, stressed out.
    Time to do better, be more consistent.

Reading: (aka audio books)

Finished "Strong Enough" - Mark Rippetoe -highly recommend we'll reread soon.
    Finished "The second world wars" - Victor Davis Hanson -excellent perspective on history

in Progress: "12 Rules" - Jordan Peterson - Good, but more intense than you'd expect.
    perhaps: profound but painful is a better summary
    No music for my workout (my alexa wifi suddenly iffy) so 12 rules during workout.

Time to do better, be more consistent.

Reading: (aka audio books)
    Hey Cheesepuff, I'm switching up my programming b/c I'm at that stage where I've stopped in previous runs, so went to see an SS Coach and the programming tweaks will hopefully help with the consistency. I have long commute and in addition to audio books, listen to a lot of Podcasts. I can't say enough good things about Hardcore History. I'm impressed with your getting after it in the midst of the URI and frigid temps, good work brother.

Thanks for the Hardcore History link. Very interesting.

2/8/2019 Friday bw: 274

garage temp 38 to 30
    gets cold fast when the wife pulls the car in... and it's 11 out side.
    Suddenly you're not as "warmed up" as you planned.

Bench
    45x5
    95x5
    159x5x3 *OGPR*

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5

A little problem with the bottom position on the dead... breathing.
    Freeze! We have you surrounded! Drop the dognut.
    I have the opposite problem from "visible abs"... I have abs visible... from space.

We're not as strong as we'd like.
    We're as strong as we deserve.

2/12/2019 Tuesday

Squat
    45x5
    95x5
    145x5
    175x5x3 +10 recent 5RM 230 Working on hip drive and back angle, and weight over mid foot (I tended to shift forward), also had a tweak

Press
    45x5
    109x5x3 *OGPR*

Listening to "Strong Enough" second time.
    Snow removal this morning, not bad only 2.5 houses.
    Was all stressed out by work, long story that some day will be funny... not today though.
    Almost bailed but thought of Carson, banged up and sick showing up and Dead lifting 315x1... Grrr... figured what the hell, show up, do what you can.
    Was very happy with the workout.
    Even the Press, long the weak sister of my lifts went well.

Glad to be of service. Towards the end of my work life I had very mixed feelings. On the one hand I thought what am I supposed to do when I retire. On the other I was pretty sick of the whiny college students I had to deal with. I still don't know what I'm supposed to do but I do like the freedom. How many more years do you plan on working?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    How many more years do you plan on working?
    Great question, but largely irrelevant. Working is like a game of "sudden death". Where my plans are more or less irrelevant to the outcome. Outcomes are most often external / unknowable. (reorgs / buyouts and the like)

The math suggests there is little reason to work beyond about 70 in my case. So a little over 5 years more as a volunteer. Yet today could be my last day. LOL.

Given other issues going on in my family, my ability to "contribute" is a stabilizing influence. As is "strength training" oddly enough. The key conflicts are with mostly younger co-workers / managers who oddly enough have a much shorter term outlook. The irony is not lost on me. I do what I can.

In truth, I wish I could give you a straight forward answer. But I'd have to lie to do that.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday 2/16/2019

I've decided to change up something. On deadlift day I had not been doing squats... or I would not do deadlifts... I could not recover.

So, at least on deadlift days, I'll do 3 sets of 3 on the Squat and DL. We'll see how this goes.

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    145x3
    195x3x3

Bench
    45x5
    95x5
    160x5x3 *OGPR*

Dead
    135x3
    185x3
    230x3

OK, only had to hold on to the rack for a little while after the heavy set.

Page 17 of 112 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast