• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thursday 6/4/2020 +3 days

Bench 45x5 95x5 146x5x5 +1
    Squat 45x5x2 135x1 206x3x3 +1

Monster - Steppenwolf
    Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
    Barracuda - Heart

Joe Walsh has a lot of good songs... going thru them took time.

"Tommy (the rock opera) - the Who
    Deadlift to Pinball Wizard"

I haven't heard that in nearly 50 years. I must try that for my next effort.

Might I suggest Ride of the Valkyries, 1812 Overture, Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath, Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell, Manhattan Transfer's take on Twilight Zone, and Tina Turner's Steel Claw as good music to fire up on.

Mark: Your taste in music is impeccable. Although Tull's Locomotive Breath hits a little too close to home.

Carson: Be patient ramping up. You're still real strong but it will many light seeming worksets to get you so the DOMS isn't crippling.

https://startingstrength.com/video/r...ength-radio-57

I think this is very important for "seasoned" lifters... especially accomplished ones like you.

I'm spoiled, I have an Alexa tower in my garage gym for working out. Brings back a lot of memories.
    As Joe Walsh would say: Life's been good to me so far.

I'm horrified how lifting was taken from most on our forum. Is "indecision/doubt" the new standard for removing freedom for our own good?

I'm guessing few agree with this. A lot of people died to win those freedoms. Death has always been the currency of freedom.

i'm horrified too.

thank god i at least have a pair of dumb bells at home to do something with

6/7/2020 Monday 3 day gap

Press 42x5 93x5x3 with arc +1
    Squat 45x5x2 135x3 207x3x3 +1
    Dead 135x3 225x1 255x3 +10 PR for reps 272 good bar speed

I'm not sure how much money I've put into my home gym. Most if it is probably in my 4 bars. (B&R, Chan, SSB2, and a hex)
    WHAT A BARGAIN!!!! My favorite plates (Hampton Calibrated Deep Dish) are all from Craigslist.

My squats have always been on the struggle bus. Probably the source of my greatest improvement, gaining range of motion, reversing atrophy, and basically "moving better".
    So if you're wondering "what the hell is wrong with you?" there are lots of theories. LOL.
    My shoulders are about as good as they've been in decades. But due to frequent injuries / pain, I do those arc's from Rip's shoulder rehab surgery.
    I saw someone with shoulder problems doing presses first to have less shoulder pain on the squat. Whoever that was THANKS!

It occurs to me that having a Dead that's 100 pounds or so ahead of my Squat for reps is gonna be ok. It will help my squat more to be doing reps at 330 on the dead, and taking whatever I can do right on the squat.
    I'd expect that the squat will come along when it is ready.

This fall, perhaps sooner, will be a great time to "craigslist" your home gym. Just saying. As gyms open, those who prefer going to a gym will eventually part with all that new shiny and barely used equipment... you can be picky.

Music:
    I need a Hero - Bonnie Tyler
    Shoot to Thrill - AC/DC I'm not sure there is a better dead lift song.
    Scott Adams on Periscope

As one crisis triggers another... is anyone suspicious of the motives?
    No, I didn't think so.
    If you reward whining, you get more whining.
    When you reward whining with power, you get elite overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    As one crisis triggers another... is anyone suspicious of the motives?
    No, I didn't think so.
    If you reward whining, you get more whining.
    When you reward whining with power, you get elite overlords.
    What I am finding increasingly ominous are the flag rank officers (mostly retired) forming a loose junta last week. Powell just got on the sleigh today. We seem to be heading towards Argentina territory.

Today Argentina, tomorrow Venezuela.

Has anyone READ the constitution???
    Yeah, didn't think so.

Maybe there should be a standard that you can't comment on the Constitution unless you pass a course by Victor Davis Hansen. Just saying. The founding fathers looked at the Greeks, and took away the clear lessons.

Mob rule was not one of them.

Has anyone READ the constitution???
    Yeah, Powell's pouting claim that Trump was trampling the Constitution really rankled with me. Trump does plenty that the Founders would be appalled by, but as I see it, he has let his alligator mouth overload his tweetie bird asshole on Executive Branch powers a few times, but he didn't act on those. Overriding the governors on Kung Flu measures being a notable example of when he pulled back from his chest thumping.

The founding fathers looked at the Greeks, and took away the clear lessons.

Mob rule was not one of them.
    Yeah, the Athenians, who were vastly overrated in their real application of democracy IMO, had their problems all right. Pericles ranked right up there with Napoleon, and dare I say Hitler, for pillaging his weaker allied neighboring city states. God knows, the Athenians had their share of brutal oligarchs and treacherous star politicians. Alcibiades being a prime example of turning his coat so many times. Not unlike Powell, as I think about it.

I attended a speech by Powell. He came across as friendly and folksy in that large venue in the LA Convention Center. But his comments to the media reveal a strong mud vein of Machiavelli.

starting strength coach development program
    When we have a president who keeps us out of unnecessary wars whose opponent want more wars I'd say Trump is the much better choice. I think Trump is good at toying with his opponents. I don't have the wit or the patience for it but I'm glad that he has.

I'm with Michael on this one. The hysteria over the virus was unnecessary. I'm convinced that they are taking cues from Alinsky as the reason for their switch from COVID hysteria to rioting about whatever the hell they are rioting about it. Overthrow of the culture and of the government takes many different efforts. The Covid calamity has about run it's course so they had to come up with some new calamity. Neither of which made any sense in reality but both are effective in breaking down our resistence.

Anyway, despite the limitations, it was good to get back under the bar.

Page 46 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast