starting strength gym
Page 7 of 112 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As I read your post I feel like I am watching a friend abuse himself and I can't seem to get him to stop. Karl Schudt is the man who got me into lifting when he picked me up off of the floor from which I could not rise. He asked me if I thought this was the kind of future I wanted. When I responded, no, he said go see Sully once you have moved after retirement. Please, please, please, go see him.

You may have a similar problem as me. As a dumb youth I managed to injure my left shoulder. It has been alright through the years even with lifting on and off. Now at age 50 I decided to push to reach some goals that I always wanted to hit before I get to old to do it. The problem is when I push hard it causes inflammation and that results in impingment and pain. Us older guys have to lift smarter then youth and manage our limitations. There is only so much volume my shoulders can take so I stay within the limits. I have been taking a fish oil supplement and it helps to greatly reduce the inflammation enabling me to keep on pushing. There are times when a break is needed. A week off 2 or 3 times a year plus an occasional deload week allow you to lick your wounds and let the inflammation subside, then you can return to pushing on.

Appreciate the input. I figure I'm within weeks of being able to low bar squat without shoulder pain.

Never hurt my left shoulder before, and never tore a deltoid. No real sensation of injury except for a very sharp pain swiping my hand to catch keys.

Part of the problem is probably being a side sleeper. The other possible culprit is some kettle bell swings I'd been working in for conditioning.

My squat could definitely use some coaching, and I plan on it. Even though it seems early in my curve, I'll ask about medium or light days on some sets.

My gut also tells me that volume had something to do with it. It is also possible I should load slower on my bench for some reason.

As for plans, I'll keep going with
    Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe
    Which I just rewatched.

I have been going every day, as the weights get heavier I'll start skipping days.

Deloads sound like a good idea as well. But you gotta load before you deload. LOL.

I tried deadlifts, and that didn't go very well. Trap bar lifts seemed better but I soured on the idea. Since the safety bar is supposed to come today, we'll see how that goes. It seems to take a day to "know how well it went".
    FWIW, on my rotator cuff tear rehabs, I could deadlift, like Rip says in the video. And that is what I would have preferred here... but it didn't go well.

Thanks again for your input. I'll be patient and persistent. I'm getting there.
    As for being smarter, wish me luck on that.

The point is that to much volume causes inflammation (swelling) which causes impingment (pinching). The result is the kind of pain that you described and in the same location.

I will rethink things based on this.

Thanks again.

By the way, my Safety Squat bar did not arrive.

"It's always too early to quit."
    - Norman Vincent Peale

Hoping my Rogue Safety Squat bar arrives today.

7/5/2018 Thursday bw: 258
    shoulder pain seemed more in evidence after a day off

Rogue SB-1 arrived.
    It was larger and more combersome than I expected. I thought it would be just short of 8' just like my other bars.
    Turns out my Rogue B&R and Rogue Chan are about 3" shorter than the 7' 10" Safety Squat bar from Rogue.
    Taken together with the handles, it made getting it in and out of the rack more problematic.
    It didn't fit where I planned to store it, so I'll build something.

Safety Squat
    0x5x2 Still doing no bar warm ups... may omit this going forward
    70x5 No weights on it, feels no different than the other bars, the collar seems fine
    120x5 The collars don't spin on this bar, so it appears the plates are going to have rotational momentum
    160x5x3 Sets felt fine. It does as many have reported "push you forward", I had to focus on keeping weight on my heels. Glad it wasn't a "surprise".
    Lost significant bar speed on the last rep, which is embarrassing at that weight, but I had a pretty long layoff from squats.
    Seemed to have less problem than normal with depth.

Bottom line: Very happy with the bar, lack of skill with a measuring tape not withstanding.

Press
    62x5x3 +5 did 10x arcs prior, only brought the bar down to my nose, so as to avoid potential inflammation issues at the bottom

Lat Pull
    110x5x3 +0 Meant to add +10 lbs but my daughter and son-in-law arrived for their workout earlier than they said and I was distracted.

Now 12 hrs after the workout and I feel like it did me a lot of good. Plan to go back to 2x per week. Not sure when I'll be able to add the Deadlift.
    Shoulder pain is down so far.

Safety Squat
    70x5
    165x5x3

Press (with 10 ring arcs for rehab of left shoulder)
    62x5x3 +0 felt a little sore so stayed at same weight

Lat Pull
    120x5x3

All good felt a lot better +12 hrs after workout.
    Range of motion of left shoulder returning, not quite to pain free low bar squat form, but closer.
    Thanks Ken_L for that inflammation insight. Reduced volume / longer rest seemed to speed recovery, be smarter in a couple cycles.

7/12/2018 Thursday

Safety Squat
    70x5
    170x5x3 +5

63x5x3 +1

Lat Pull
    130x5x3 + 10

Working range of motion unweighted when I discovered my left arm would not raise above shoulder level (straight out), and even cheating by pushing my hands forward Not above eye level.
    Sounding more like Bursa / Labrum maybe.

OOPS.

starting strength coach development program
    Vacation in the "Northwoods". So 10 day gap.

7/22/2018 Sunday

Safety Squat
    70x5
    175x5x3 +5

64x5x3 +1

Lat Pull
    140x5x3 + 10

Felt better, more ROM on left shoulder, not enough to do a low bar squat.
    Still not ready to attempt Deads, but closer.

41c.jpg
    Last edited by Cheesepuff; 07-25-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Page 7 of 112 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast