starting strength gym
Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's funny, I recall driving all over finding and reconditioning old Hampton plates. I finally got my 3rd and 4th pair of 45's about 2 years ago.
    They have been staring at me for a long time. In my earliest time lifting, it was always the dead lift that drove the progress across the other lifts.

Today I build my cradles.

Bill:
    I will pull without straps every time I can... and some that I can't. Failures are part of pushing the envelope.

I've found that when I lift consistently enough to drive progress, I end up over trained. I hope I can work out 3x a week going this way, but may have to settle for 2x depending on the weights and life.

Carson:
    You've always been and inspiration. I recall a meet where I out weighed you by 45 pounds (BW). and your dead was 74 pounds more than mine. Oh, and you were older.
    You were lifting smarter and harder.

Mr. Bingley:
    So far so good. I feel more recovered than usual. We'll see if I can sustain more workouts without over training symptoms. It sure seems worth a try.

Mike how far off the floor will this rack pull setup have the bar?

I just finished my cradle. I made it 10" tall in the middle because the picture of Rip had the bar touching the bottom of his knee.
    I stood next to my bar with 45's on it and it was 10" from mid bar to that point on my knee.
    Your mileage may vary.

I went with 9 pieces of 2x4 standing vertically. the middle row is 10" tall.
    The outside row 10" on the "inside" with a 30 degree slow up on the outside.
    Between each row of 2x4's is a half inch sheet of osb that is 10.5" x 10". (10" is the vertical)

Screws and white glue. seems pretty strong.

Tomorrow we rack pull. I'm sure the pro's and con's of this design will become evident in time.

Friday 12/3/2021

Press 72x5 93x3 104x5,5,5

Rack Pull 135x3 185x1 225x1 245x3

My cradle needed some work. the 30 degree slope was to high, so the plate didn't touch the bottom.
    I ended up using a depth cut with a circular saw to gnaw out enough material for the plate to touch both sides and the bottom at rest.
    Any time you have heavy weights up higher than needful is generally a bad idea.
    But after one set of 3 at 245 along with warmups, I'm happy with the setup.

The lift itself felt fantastic. It was like... "That was it?.... did I misload? That was a work set?"
    Considering my last workset on the dead lift was 235, and my HDL/RP were +10, that was amazing.
    Some time ago I got up to worksets of 272. So maybe 10 pound jumps to 265, then go to 5's.

You just can't wipe the smile off my face. LOL.

Road Runner - TV Sounds Unlimited
    Last edited by Cheesepuff; 12-03-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Friday 12/3/2021

after one set of 3 at 245 along with warmups, I'm happy with the setup.

The lift itself felt fantastic. It was like... "That was it?.... did I misload? That was a work set?"
    Considering my last workset on the dead lift was 235, and my HDL/RP were +10, that was amazing.
    Some time ago I got up to worksets of 272. So maybe 10 pound jumps to 265, then go to 5's.

I am really glad that it worked well for you!

My lower back tends to get over stressed once things get really heavy for me and I believe that is caused by a back injury that I have had to work around for almost 40 years now. When ever I get started back doing pulls I may try to elevate them a bit. It does not make a shit how high they are as long as you keep getting stronger unless you want to compete. I don't need 10 inches but 2 or 3 might be enough to get away from that stress point.

Friday 12/3/2021

Press 72x5 93x3 104x5,5,5

My cradle needed some work. the 30 degree slope was to high, so the plate didn't touch the bottom.
    I ended up using a depth cut with a circular saw to gnaw out enough material for the plate to touch both sides and the bottom at rest.
    Any time you have heavy weights up higher than needful is generally a bad idea.
    But after one set of 3 at 245 along with warmups, I'm happy with the setup.

Road Runner - TV Sounds Unlimited
    Great to hear about the Rack Pulls. I look forward to seeing you progress over the coming months.

Fred J:
    You're right to look at it that way. It is about getting better.
    Of course the Rip model is perfect for the perfectly intact person.
    Some of us ain't that. But it still serves as a solid guide line.

One 2x4 is 1.5" tall two is 3".
    I have a ton of half inch OSB from a recent project.
    Try a couple of combinations.
    You won't need to go as wide as I did because you're not going as high.
    Stability is more of an issue as you get more vertical.

I'd start at 4" and work my way down, because 4" is more sure to avoid the problem area.
    If you can go down a half inch at a time.

Save the white glue for when you have your proper height.

I might make a top piece with stops at each end so the wheels don't roll off.
    Shuffle the combinations of 2x4's and half inch plywood until you get what you like.

I screwed and white glued immediately.
    Was immediately sorry. LOL. But some creative depth cuts fixed my issue.

Thanks CP. This might also work around the upper back muscle pull that has been aggravated by doing regular height pulls for a while now. I will have to stack up some wood one day and give it a try.

12/8/2021 Wednesday

Bench 454x5 85x3 135x1 151x3,3,3

HDL 135x3 185x1 230x1 255x3 +10

Last time I deadlifted 255 for reps was August. I ran into a number of problems at that time.

Figure I got one more 10 pound jump, then to 5's.

Music:
    Gloria - Laura Branigan
    Handle with Care - The Traveling Wilburys

starting strength coach development program
    Music:
    Gloria - Laura Branigan
    Now that's a tune that I don't think that I would have ever seen listed here. Excellent choice, no doubt crucial to that incredible HDL performance. Well done, Cheesepuff!

Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast