starting strength gym
Page 35 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks, I'll play it by ear on when to throw them in for now.

I've long known that my kryptonite was lack of sleep.
    I use meletonin which helps some.
    I use Afrin which at times is very helpful.
    I got a "as seen on TV" MyPillow.
    Everything seems to help some but overall let's call a fail a fail.

Rip says that sleep is the most anobolic substance in the universe. (he probably worded it better... and spelled better)
    So everything is on the table in terms of improving my sleep.
    I'm on a trial for the app Pzizz.
    Basically it has three modes:
    - sleep
    - nap
    - focus (you're at work and "need" a cup of coffee... so you do this)

One day in, not sure how much it helps recovery, which will take longer to assess.
    Quality of life stuff seems much better. I'm able to take a nap when it get home from work, leaving me more energy for the evening.
    The focus stuff seems to work ok.
    The sleep seems pretty good so far. It is supposed to vary content, music and voice stuff.
    Up til now, I didn't so much go to sleep as drop from exhaustion. That can't be good.

cons so far:
    It is expensive.
    I have timers and alarms so, there is a feeling that I'm paying for stuff I have.
    It plays hell on you phone battery.

All that being said, is well worth it if I can consistently sleep and lift better.
    375 is not gonna dead itself.

yeah, sleep is my bugaboo too. I get maybe 5 hours on a good night, so I know my gainzzz are extremely limited

1/12/2020 Sunday

SQ 45x5 135x1 220x3x3 +2.5
    Press 42x3 98x3x3 +1
    Dead 135x3 205x1 265x3 315x0 295x0 The heavies got of the ground 1.5" and 4" respectively.

Well, I advanced all my tops sets. Missed my mid week session.

Very conflicted on Pzizz. It appears to work, but I had a very strange "trial week".

Lost my Grandma this weekend, she was 103.
    As Kenny Rodgers once said, the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.
    I've gotten to spend a lot of time in "assisted living" (the trending euphemism for nursing homes).

Trust me, you're doing yourself a huge favor by lifting.

Sorry to hear about your grandma.
    Yesterday it was a year my 89yo aunt passed away.Wed. will be 10 years that my wife is gone.
    I had 3 wakes to go to last week for guys retired guys from my job.
    Today I found out my 84yo cousin passed away. She had something.called vascular dementia for a.few.years.
    I agree the best thing we can do is.to try and stay strong,

103, my goodness, the changes she saw in her lifetime! very sorry for your loss.

Thanks BrooklynJerry.
    Vascular dementia doesn't sound like a good deal.
    Lost my mom 14 years ago, so my grandma outlived 4 of her 5 children and her husband (by decades). Also sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Some things don't fade enough with time.

Thanks Mr. Bingley.
    Consider that "The Great War" was going on when she was born. Her brothers all fought in World War 2... when we found we needed to number World Wars. Ironically she married a German who came here between wars. He died in the late 70's.

My grandparents lived to fairly ripe ages: 78, 82, 85 cancer, 103
    My parents 69 cancer, 82

Both my grandfathers were strong, both steelworkers. But in old age, both seemed surprised by how weak they had gotten. When I worked with them as a young man, I could tell they were surprised how heavy things had gotten. But they didn't shy away from heavy work. Both would have been excellent candidates for this program. Both would have built their own wooden racks though. LOL.

Two of my grandparents ended up in nursing homes. 3 yrs for one, 7 years for the other.

There is a lot of "variation" in nursing homes. Mostly not in a good way. A common thread there, no one can dead lift their bw. (except Classen who deads 250).

You have to be able to take care of yourself, and contribute, to keep independent living as an option. If people are worried about "you falling"... then assisted living conversations are going on, like it or not. Best remedy is a bw or better dead lift. At half bw dead lift, people are nervous leaving you alone.

As a lifter with access to this program, there is nothing remarkable about a bw dead for reps, let alone a 1RM.

Be well.
    Enjoy your time, and that of loved ones.
    Thanks Rip and Sully.

What a heritage you have. Claassen inspires me every time I go to the gym.

Talk about variations in nursing homes: When I was active in pastoral ministry it was easy to tell the decent nursing homes, which were few, and the really bad ones. You could tell the difference as soon as you opened the door. If one was overwhelmed with the smell of urine you knew you were in a typical nursing home. If not, one knew that it was probably a tolerable place.

1/15/2020 Wednesday happy to get my mid-week workout in
    bw:266.4

Squat 45x3 135x1 222.5x3x3 Did not feel like a limit set... checked the plates several times
    Bench 45x3 95x1 145x3x3 Went +5 because.... reasons
    LatPull 110x5 150x3x3 the only one that felt heavy

Hate to shill for Pzizz but, I've been using the "nap" function several times a day.
    I am sleeping better. Lots of stress at work, but I seem to be handling it better.
    Relaxing and falling asleep are apparently a "learned skill". So I guess once you know how to do it, you don't need the pricey app.
    On the other hand, the app makes it all pretty damn easy.
    There is plenty of this guided meditation crap for free. If I were retired... which could happen any day LOL... I would certainly go that route.

Unfortunately, there are enough changes in my situation to arrive at any certainty.
    Con-founders:
    - Recent switch to 3's over a week ago
    - Recently came off Keto and started eating a more balance meal (2 months)
    - Recently went to eating Stan Efferdings mash (but with chicken) 5 weeks ago
    - Pzizz app (10 days)

So any of these changes could explain the Gainzz I better be getting!!!

The Efferding recipe felt huge, and the Pzizz feels huge.
    Here's hoping that the gainzz are HUGE.

Nice to see your making some gains. Nice to read what Ripp says about lifting when we get older. I saw what he does in the post about training logs.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for your loss. I am sure grandma had an incredible life well lived.

Also to you BrooklynJerry.

Page 35 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast