starting strength gym
Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Making some progress on my walking. Slightly faster on my 20min out and back. (21 minutes back is my best to date, first couple were 23 and change)
    I trust you all are well.
    All is well here, CP. Glad to see that you're still at it.

My 9 month old grand daughter would like to thank Rip and the support community because grampy plays airplane ride. I swing her around the house like she's a little airplane. Her other favorite is jumping on the sink in front of the bathroom mirror. Pre-SS grampy wasn't playing those games.
    Isn't that what it's all about? We're looking forward to meeting our grandaughter soon, whenever she decides to come out from her comfy palace.

This is awesome! The weight on the bar is just a number. Living the life is the measure!!

1/23/2023 Monday

Rack Pulls 185x3 225x1 275x3

Being retired, Monday is a much better day.

Walked out 20 min. 25 F outside.

Being retired, Monday is a much better day.
    Isn't it, though. At least until you start filling up the empty spaces left by retirement with the occasional too many things.

My 9 month old grand daughter would like to thank Rip and the support community because grampy plays airplane ride. I swing her around the house like she's a little airplane. Her other favorite is jumping on the sink in front of the bathroom mirror. Pre-SS grampy wasn't playing those games.
    that's so awesome.

A little behind on my posting.

1/27/2023 Monday
    Rack Pull 185x3 225x1 275x3

1/31/2023 Tuesday
    Squat 45x5 95x3 115x5,5,5

2/5/2023 Sunday
    Press w/arc 72x5 92x5,5,5

2/8/2023 Wednesday
    Halted DL 185x5 245x5

2/12/2023 Sunday
    Pull Down 95x5 140x5,5,5

2/18/2023 Saturday
    Rack Pull 185x3 225x1 285x3

2/20/2023 Monday
    Bench 45x5 95x5,5,5

2/24/2023 Fridee
    Squat 45x5 95x3 115x5,5,5

Before retirement I used to think what I did was important.
    Apparently I was an idiot.
    I guess it was important, in that I can do what I'm doing now.
    Today I go to Costco, and bring over a pork roast (son in law making pulled pork), their large take out pizza (for lunch), and a cooked chicken to dice for pizza topping, and lunch meat.
    I use the carcass for my bone broth which has been in high demand this time of year. (2x carcass = 5+ qts of broth, 2-3 days in slow cooker)

For those doing the math at home, 2 x $5 costco chickens makes $15 worth of broth ($3/qt for Kirkland chicken bone broth... which is pretty good) Oh, and you get to eat the chicken too.
    I don't get "Carson levels" of protein, but I'm close. (1 5lb chicken is 540g protein)

Didn't you used to make a mash similar to the Efferding meal with that broth?

This getting older sure ain't easy. It's tough to continue lifting when no matter what you do the weights just keep feeling heavier. What keeps me going is remembering how fast I got weaker and fatter when I didn't train for quite a few years .
    I also know that the type of training I learned over the years works. I have been having my grandson and godson train in my garage . They are 15 and 16 yo. They both now have gained plenty of strength. They looked at some of my training cards from about 20 years ago when I was in my 50s and say what happened. I tell them what my uncle Sal told me when he was in his late 70s " don't get old". He made it to 88.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Didn't you used to make a mash similar to the Efferding meal with that broth?
    Still do. But sometimes I make it more like chicken and rice soup in this weather. Got a lot of folks fighting off colds and whatnot.

The parts to "monster mash" can be assembled a number of ways.
    My favorite, is the "chicken monster mash fritata". (4 eggs)

That is how I get a lot of protein. I make the rice with the bone broth I make from my Costco chicken carcasses.

This stuff will REALLY straighten out your digestive tract.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    This getting older sure ain't easy. It's tough to continue lifting when no matter what you do the weights just keep feeling heavier. What keeps me going is remembering how fast I got weaker and fatter when I didn't train for quite a few years .
    I also know that the type of training I learned over the years works. I have been having my grandson and godson train in my garage . They are 15 and 16 yo. They both now have gained plenty of strength. They looked at some of my training cards from about 20 years ago when I was in my 50s and say what happened. I tell them what my uncle Sal told me when he was in his late 70s " don't get old". He made it to 88.
    We understand the nature of the battle we're fighting.
    What do we want in the people we are training?
    - a good attitude preferably cheery
    - happy to "show up"
    - happy with good numbers and happy with not so good numbers

We should be this same way.

How about "be good at being old"?
    Isn't that the real value in all this?

It is no harder to lift now than at any other time... except for how you judge yourself.
    Consider a little kindness.

How would you talk to uncle Sal when he was 87 about lifting and numbers?
    Talk to yourself that same way.

Do what you can and celebrate.

Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast