• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bodyweight: 209.2 lbs
    C2 Rower: 3:00
    Squat: 155lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 90lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 180lbsx5x1

Notes:
    -Programmed improvement from last time. I missed my workout on 4/6 due to getting stuck in Kansas City when Delta cancelled so many flights. My planned return was cancelled, then the flight they had me on for the next day was cancelled too. I rented a car and drove home, but that put my schedule out of whack. I'm just now putting it back together.
    -That said, my diet was pretty good on the trip, and I felt good at the gym tonight. I'm still maintaining my 200g of protein a day, my supplements (including creatine), and doing okay on limiting the junky carbs.

Goals for 4/10/17:
    Squat: 170lbs
    Press: 75lbs
    Deadlift: 195lbs

Default Training: 4/11/2017

Bodyweight: 209.6lbs
    Squat: 170lbsx5x3
    Press: 75lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 195lbsx5x1

4/13/17 training goals:
    Squat: 180lbs
    Bench Press: 100lbs
    Deadlift: 210lbs

Default 4/15/2017 Workout

Bodyweight: 208.4lbs
    Squat: 180lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 100lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 210x5x1

Notes:
    -Four workouts in, and I deadlifted my bodyweight. And it felt great--hard, but manageable. Last workout, my deadlift workset was very difficult. That weight was my final warm up today and I was amazed how much better I felt in only four days.
    -To that point, I missed another scheduled workout. I had no airline to blame this time: merely got busy and didn't go to the gym. I will try to do better in the future; I know I cannot miss workouts and continue to improve on track for much longer.
    -Now that I've dead lifted my body weight, should I start alternating power cleans? One of the reasons I missed the last work out was soreness in the lower back muscles. If that soreness is still there Monday night, I may introduce Power Cleans. Otherwise, deadlift, baby!
    -I wore my belt tonight for squats and deadlifts. It felt great.
    -I know I should start dropping down to 5 pound increases on press and bench press, but they both still feel so good. I may have underestimated my start weights. Instead, I'll keep increasing by 10 until I hit failure, I think.

Goals for 4/17/2017
    -Actually go to the gym
    -Squat: 190lbs
    -Press: 85lbs
    -Deadlift: 225lbs (or start Power Cleans)

Default 4/17/2017 Workout

Bodyweight: 211.4lbs (Easter dinner leave none unscathed)
    Squat: 190lbsx5x3
    Press: 85lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 225lbsx3x1

Notes:
    -Squat was challenging but felt good. I think I'm okay to continue going up by 10 pound increments, at least for a while
    -Press was hard. Time to go to 5 pound jumps
    -Deadlift...I finished three reps at my work weight, then got light-headed and had to take a knee. Perhaps its time to introduce Power Cleans to the B workout and take more recovery time.

Goals for 4/19/2017
    -Squat: 200lbs
    -Bench Press: 105lbs
    -Power Clean: Learn the movement well

Default 4/20/2017 Workout

Good one tonight. Felt great.

Bodyweight: 212.4lbs
    Squat: 200lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 110lbsx5x3
    Power Clean: 95lbsx3x5

Notes:
    -Squat and Bench Press were hard. It is definitely time to switch to 5 lb increments on the Bench Press. Maybe also on the squat, though I feel it's still early. We'll see.
    -Power clean was fun and felt good. I liked my form, though I had to remind myself to turn my elbows in and to actually jump at full weight (I had a tendency to just stand rapidly on my toes)

4/22/2017 Goals
    -Squat: 205lbsx5x3
    -Press: 90lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 225lbsx5x1 (we'll try it again).

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle4Christ View Post
    Bodyweight: 208.4lbs
    Squat: 180lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 100lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 210x5x1

-Now that I've dead lifted my body weight, should I start alternating power cleans? One of the reasons I missed the last work out was soreness in the lower back muscles. If that soreness is still there Monday night, I may introduce Power Cleans. Otherwise, deadlift, baby!
    I think your deadlift should get ahead of those squats before you change the programming. Low back soreness indicates that you flexed during the lift, e.g. Rounded your low back. Since none of these require that rounding, I'm guessing you lifted incorrectly, most likely in the DL. That also would explain the missed deadlifts. Get your DL form checked by filming your back during the set and try eating a little more carbs on the DL days, especially before bed. I found that helps recovery immensely.

Otherwise, great progress. Keep it up, and shoot for 2xBW on the DL!

Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle4Christ View Post
    -I know I should start dropping down to 5 pound increases on press and bench press, but they both still feel so good. I may have underestimated my start weights. Instead, I'll keep increasing by 10 until I hit failure, I think.
    Second the low back soreness thing; there's no set level to start power cleans, but you'll probably get more out of your deadlift for a little longer. As far as the bench/press, I would advise against waiting until actual failure to reduce the increment. If you have doubts about whether the next 10 lbs jump will work, just go with 5 lbs. Worst case scenario: you set a new PR, and keep moving as planned. Effectively missing a session because you got greedy and went for 10 lbs instead of 5 isn't the end of the world, but it's a gamble where the 5 extra pounds won't matter in 6 months and is a bad habit. Cost/benefit it's not really worth it. Erring on the conservative side is a habit one has to build and is an important part of a trainee's development.

Default 4/25/2017 Workout

First off, thanks very much for the advice, CDG and Eric K. I will continue on deadlift for a while longer, as you recommend.

I may have overstated the lower back "soreness": its more an awareness than a true sustained muscle soreness. Not debilitating or even uncomfortable.

I missed a workout due to in-laws in town and rationalization of sloth. But today I lifted.
    -----
    Bodyweight: 212.2lbs
    Squat: 200lbsx5x3 (repeated last workout due to skip)
    Press: 90lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1

Notes: Squat and Deadlift were much easier than last time. My diet and sleep have been quite good. Press was right at my limit.

Goal for 4/27/2017
    Squat: 210lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 115lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 240lbsx5x1

Default 4/27/2017 Workout

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 210lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 115lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 240lbsx5x1 (PR)

Notes:
    Now don't laugh too hard, but to surpass in just four weeks of training my best deadlift total from 4 months last year is a big deal to me. I'm super stoked. It was hard, but felt good. I realized as soon as I lifted the first 240lb rep that I was going to complete the 5 reps, though it would take some hard pulling.

I've started taking my diet seriously, as I've stated before, and the results are startling. I look forward to seeing how much LP I have left in me.

On a related note, so much for taking the squat up only 5lbs a time: I was able to improve by 10lbs over the past two days.

No C-2 Rower because I was at a different gym. Bumper plates were nice for a change.

Goals for 4/29 (or 4/30, depending on circumstances):
    Squat: 220lbsx5x3
    Press: 95lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 255lbsx5x1 (I can't believe I will able to complete this, but a few mere hours ago I wouldn't have thought I could pull 240 for a set of 5 either).
    -----------
    edited for syntactical clarity
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 04-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast