starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ftintin training log

Default Ftintin training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since I cannot think up a clever title, or come up with a great story with clever and witty commentary, I will just give it to you straight. 49 yo old male, 5'8", 220 lbs. Never lifted, a total noob, who has been lurking around this forum for a while. Reading SS and have decided to get stronger. Body fat in the 30% range. Not happy with myself. Especially as a former competitive cyclist. Have a wife and 2 young children,a job and a mother who suffers from dementia. Sleep is an issue. So is eating clean.

Did my first workout this morning. Here are the numbers:

Squat 3x5x135.
    Press 3x5x75
    Dead 1x5x95

Tried to concentrate on my form. Will post videos once I figure out how. No SSC around here ( Toronto Ontario Canada). Local gym not great. Felt rushed to get the workout done due to lack of racks and lack of space. People who don't put the weights away after use get my blood pressure up.

Glad I started but am very sore. Thanks for reading.

Welcome. Stick with The Program and I think you will be very happy with the results. Best to you

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Dr Sullivan is only 400k away. That's only a couple of TDF stages.

I was identical to you a couple months ago.....lost 20 lbs and started at 200. I look forward to seeing your progress. Nice starting squat!

Thanks for the replies/encouragement

Looks like I will need my passport renewed to see an SSC.

Was never a great at stage races. Not much of a climber. more a one day classics guy. Paris Roubaix or Milan San Remo.

Here are the numbers for 09/01

Sq 3x5x150
    BP 3x5x90
    DL 1x5x105

Gym was better. Didn't feel rushed.

Went to see a nutritionist about eating cleaner. Lean protein, lots of leafy green and cruciferous veggies, egg whites was the reply. As much as I wanted. Pretty much as expected. Said my ideal weight is 163. I laughed. Didn't feel the need to argue about lean muscle gain using weight training, accurate body fat measures, etc. As long as I am eating right, I will build muscle and drop weight.

Man, these doctors are a kick....
    Last edited by ftintin; 09-02-2016 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added date info

09/03 workout. Everything felt heavy. Did not eat much yesterday. Slept well.

Here are the numbers

Sq 3x5x165 Felt really heavy, had bad form a few times. Had to redo reps a couple of times. Will stay with this weight for the next workout or two.
    Ohp 3x5x95 Felt very heavy. Struggled the last set.
    DL 1x5x125 Struggled with form. Used mirrors to determine starting position a few times.

Need to eat more and concentrate on form.

09/06 workout.

Felt much better. Slept well all weekend. even took a nap.

Have been eating to the diet given me by the nutritionist. Slipped a bit on Sunday, had wine, chickpea salad, some pasta. Been taking fish oil supplements, cinnamon, and chromium picolate ( all relation to getting my cholesterol, bp, blood sugar and blood fats down)

Here are the numbers;

SQ 3x5x175 weight felt good. form needs an eval
    bp 3x5x95 felt good. grinded out last rep.
    dl 1x5x135 form is a concern. stopping between reps to adjust the bar too many times. did a redo on a few reps.

I am tired and a bit sore but content with the progress.

Small, steady jumps and constant form checks.

Welcome to the fold.

What Agilic said.

TUBOW for squat and form checks were useful to me. I should've used them earlier than I did.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the comments. TUBOW is in the car

I usually workout early in the morning (5 am). got to bed late, had a bad nights sleep with my daughter waking me up due to nightmares. Slept through my alarm clock.
    Work has also been very demanding this week. My wife and kids started school. My dementia suffering mum was also having issues that needed to be dealt with.
    Decided to get to the gym at 10:30pm.

Workout for 09/08
    Sq 3x5x175 , still have form issues, kept weight the same.
    OHP 1x30x90 awful form, felt very weak, tried to do 3 x 5 x 85 but only 3 reps on last set. I felt weak and hungry. Really struggling.
    DL did not attempt for fear of hurting myself.

Overall I am very disappointed and discouraged with myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast