starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough screwing around - my training log

Default Enough screwing around - my training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been in and out of the gym weight training for a couple years now. First no linear progression attempt, then something of a 5x5, then I found Starting Strength and got great success. I've had problems gauging where I am in an LP because of my workout history - 3-5 months on, 3-5 months off because of various things (school, moving, job, etc). Lately I've been dropping weight, going from 340 lbs down to under 310. I strained my back a few weeks ago, messing up more things and before that there was a groin injury, both of which I Starr Protocol'd to good results. Anyhow, let's show some numbers. Note that this is likely towards the end of my LP and I have to change things up before long I think, but I'm not jumping into intermediate training yet.

Height: 6'6" / 198 cm
    Bodyweight (as of 4/25/2016)*: 307.2 lbs

4/25/16
    Squat: 320 x 3 x 5
    Overhead Press: 157.5 x 3 x 4 (did not complete sets)
    Deadlift: 315 x 1 x 5

4/27/16
    Squat: 325 x 3 x 5
    Bench: 230 x 3 x 5
    Power clean: 145 x 5 x 3

4/27/16
    Squat: 330 x 3 x 5
    Overhead press: 157.5 x 1 x 3 (it wasn't going up, may reconsider programming)
    Deadlift: 325 x 1 x 5

On the deadlift, the 10 lb jump is due to recovery from injury. I was at 425 x 1 x 5 about a month ago before I strained my back during squats (at 365). It feels fine now but I'm also going beltless on deadlifts whereas before work set and last warm up I used a belt

*A note on the weight: I was much stronger at 340, no doubt about it. For vanity purposes, I decided I wanted to drop weight and cut fat. Being the competitive MFer I can be, I entered into a 'weight loss challenge' with a few friends, saying I'd drop 50 lbs from January til the start of the college football season. So far I am winning, but unfortunately it's going to be detrimental to my strength training.

So here we go, keep me honest, people.
    Last edited by Cullen Baldwin; 04-30-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Left off the decimal on my second day of OHP

You are a very large and strong young man. You can gain strength while losing weight but it is difficult. In any event I'll watch your progress and will comment from time to time. Getting to see a certified SS Coach can be of great value. Have you checked the website for one near you?

Thanks carson. I have been adding strength in the last few months as my weight drops but I'm not even at my old maxes pre-injuries and weight loss. I'll say that recovery is noticably slower/more difficult at this point than when I was at my highest weight too. I met three SS coaches at the deadlift and powerclean camp in Chicago about 3 weeks ago and I'll be keeping in touch with them, particularly since I go to the city regularly. I'm smack dab in the middle of Illinois so unfortunately there isn't one closer than that.

I know all three coaches but am close friends with Karl Schudt. I think you can trust any of the three.

Welcome Cullen! We will certainly keep you honest :-)

Good day overall in the gym. Some numbers:

Weight (weigh-ins on Monday morning for me when I wake up): 308.8. This is the first Monday I've been heavier than the previous Monday since I started recording on January 4. No big deal, 1.5 lbs is like half a percent of my bodyweight.

Squat: 335 x 3 x 5
    Bench: 237.5 x 3 x 2, + 237.5 x 1 x 4
    Power Clean: 150

Squat felt harder than it should. As they say, ass moves mass and as my ass gets smaller pushing the bar up at weights I've been at before has gotten tough. I didn't feel like I was in a grove today but I hit my reps, so no major complaints.

Bench I need to retool my form some, this weight was hard. Rep 5 was a grinder every time. I put the last set as 4 since my spotter assisted it up. He touched the bar, missed rep, I hit the bar in rage and come back next time. I'll still move up to 240 for Friday. Coincidentally (honest!) this was the only of my three last worksets that I failed to film.

Power cleans felt great. Ever since I went to the pulling camp in Chicago a month ago my power cleans have felt so much better. I definitely have a tendency to use my arms on the second pull but I'm doing my best to cut that nonsense out.

Speaking of filming, I'll probably set up a youtube account and upload my lifts for future reference (and so I can use the coaches' section when I get enough posts).

Forgot to add that I did chin ups at the end using the big band, 8 reps, then 7, then 7, 3.5 minute rests between sets.

Some additional measurements taken for kicks and to track body recomp:

Neck: 17.5
    Chest: 49
    Waist: 47
    Hips: 48
    Thigh: 28
    Calf: 19
    Bicep: 18

The waist/hip one confuses me since I fit into 42s again with plenty of space.

Pants sizes are a lie.

I have a 40" waist and I generally wear size 36 pants.

starting strength coach development program
    Figures. When I get home I'll take the tape to the pants and see how they could have come up with that number.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast