starting strength gym
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.66 Imperial Pints (SS in UK)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    04/11/2016

BW 83kg/183lb

Squat 80kg 3x5 (plus bonus double...), bench 20kg 3x5, press 33.5kg 3x5, deadlift 95kg 1x5

I had to wait a few mins for the squat rack today (which hardly ever happens) so I did a couple of bar-only sets of benches then pounced.

Still working on bar position, back angle and hip drive in the squats. Rep 2 of my 3rd set went wrong, the bar rolled forward to my neck as I started to go up, managed to good morning it up and rack the bar. F*ck knows what that was all about. Re-did the full set of 5 a minute later and was ok. They are getting hard, will no doubt get harder. It was uncharacteristically busy today so I think I was a bit distracted/self-conscious. No-one else goes so red in the face and looks like their eyes are going to explode when they work out there. Not even the 250lb guy that the personal trainer had doing quarter squats in my rack...

Anyway, the usual shoulder/bicep pain after squatting (right arm only today), tried another bar set of benches but no good. Press and deads were ok.
    Last edited by sjohnb; 11-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.

08/11/2016

BW 83kg/183lb

Bench 40kg 1x5 and 42.5kg 2x5, Squat 82.5kg 3x5, Press 20kg 2x5, Assisted chins -100lb 2x10

Bench - did these first as squats have been giving me too much bicep pain to do things in the normal order. Haven't done them in a few weeks so reduced the weight. 40kg felt too easy so upped it a bit.

Squat - the usual shoulder/bicep pain from last warm-up onwards. Tried a wider grip on final set which I might go with for all sets next time out. 6-7 minute rests between work sets, needed a bit of self-persuasion to get under the bar. Almost body weight.

Press - did a couple of fives with the light bar (12.5kg) and a couple more with the regular bar, seemed to make my arm feel a bit better.

Assisted chins - yes, that's letting the machine take 100lb of the weight. Progress will come.

Finished reading PPST3 yesterday. Page 226 (Older Lifters - Novice Program Adaptations) recommends a reduction in training frequency after the first few weeks if recovery is difficult. I haven't decided whether to do twice a week or something else (1-on 2-off?), depends on work as I like to train at lunchtime on days when I work from home.

Main point is I don't feel as guilty about not training 3 times a week!

12/11/2016

BW 83kg
    /183lb

Squat 85kg 3x5, Press 35kg 3x5, Deadlift 100kg 1x5

Squat > Bodyweight :-) They felt... not exactly easy, but once I did the first rep I knew they were in the bag. A nice landmark on the road to strongerville!

Grip a couple of inches wider today, the usual bicep/shoulder pain only appeared after 2nd set and is far less painful than before. 7 minute rests between work sets.

The gym plays Chilli Peppers/Metallica/Green Day type stuff at the weekend which is a lot better for getting in the mood than the poppy r&b they play in the week.

16/11/2016

Squat 87.5kg 1x5, 1x6, 80kg 1x5... Assisted chins -100lb 3x10

Not the best session. Squats didn't feel as easy as last time, felt a bit more wobbly and unbalanced. Set 2 Rep 2 rolled up my back so I had a swear, repositioned, and carried on to do 6 that set. When it came to rack the bar I got caught between heights (piece of sh1t rack has unadjustable angled arms which are at the perfect wrong height for me), right side went on but the left went too low. Would've probably dropped it if one of the staff hadn't been training nearby and come over to help. I've tried using the next height down but it means almost quarter squatting it in.

Rack is pretty much like this: https://www.lifefitness.com/sites/g/...?itok=MLUfEVz9

Felt a bit sore after that so dropped to 80kg for last set. I strained my tricep at the weekend (pain in point of elbow) so gave benches a go but quickly realised it needs more rest. Tried to press with a zero-weight bar but even that was not gonna happen today. At least the mighty assisted chins were ok.

Bumped into the general manager of the sports club after and told him I had issues with the squat rack. The worker had told me some of his mates struggle with the height thing too (he's a serious lifter by this place's standards). The manager suggested standing on a reebok step, then suggested standing on a squashy mat, then said he couldn't adjust it for me. In his defence it's mainly a racquet sports place but he didn't seem to get it really. I asked if he'd speak to the employee and get a proper rack but it ain't gonna happen. Time to move on I think.

20/11/2016

Squat 87.5kg 3x5, Press 35kg 3x5, Deadlift 105kg 1x5, Bench 20kg 2x5

Squats so much better today. 8 mins between work sets.

Kept press at 35kg due to elbow pain earlier in the week. Did a few bar-only benches at the end to see how it felt. It felt good!

23/11/2016

Squat 90kg 2x5, 60kg 1x5, press 36kg 3x5, 30kg 1x5, bench 42.5kg 1x2, assisted chins -90lb 3x10

The dreaded right arm/shoulder pain resurfaced on squats today during warmup sets. More on tricep side this time. Got so bad that I bailed after 2 work sets and did a deload set instead. Wimp! The worksets were hard but a third would've been doable otherwise.

Bench aborted - felt like I was either gonna drop the bar or injure myself (or both!) once I got to the work sets. Need to try it before squats next time.

Press was ok, added a deload set because NDTP. Chins were ok.

Need to work on sleeping more and eating more.

27/11/2016

Bench 42.5kg 3x5
    Squat 90kg 3x5
    Press 37.5kg 3x5
    Assisted chins -80lb 3x10

Bench before squats. Need to do this every time for a bit. Weight easy for now.

Squats hard but knew they'd go up.

Press ok but getting harder.

Comedy pump after weakling chins.

A good session.

30/11/2016

Bench 45kg 3x5
    Squat 92.5kg 1x5, 80kg 1x5
    Press 38.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift 110kg 1x5

Fucking squats. Felt lethargic and not in the right mental state today. The first workset went up slowly, but when it came to do the next set I just didn't feel I had it in me (aka wimping out). Did a set at 80kg (intending to do 2 to at least get volume in) and my right arm started hurting - boo hoo. Went onto presses, which were ok, but damn bicep hurt more and more.

Deadlifts felt heavy - almost slipped out of my hands on the 1st rep because I wasn't gripping hard enough. There are 2 bars at the gym, I was using the one with zero knurl friction instead of the one with no centre marking. Bicep actually felt a bit better after the deadlifts.

Bit peed off about the squats, but if I rest/eat/grow a pair over the next few days I'm sure 3 sets will be fine at the weekend. Slow progress is still progress, and at least the presses/deads were PR's.

starting strength coach development program
    04/12/2016

BW 84kg/185lb (slooow increase of 1kg in a month)

Bench 47.5kg 3x5
    Squat 92.5kg 3x5
    Press 40kg 3x5
    Assisted chins -70lb 2x10

Squats went up ok. Tried to focus on chest up, knees out and hip drive. Arm pain surfaced on racking a couple of times, but more mild discomfort than pain.

Not sure why I've got into a pattern of midweek failure and weekend success on the squats. I don't really get enough sleep during the week which sometimes leaves me feeling mentally fragile as well as the physical effects. Weekends are good as I get out and about with my 3 year old which is good for body and soul.

Need to eat more too.

Maybe I could just get my priorities straight! :-)
    Last edited by sjohnb; 12-04-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to include this morning's BW

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast