Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat 145lb - 3x5
    OHP 120lb - 2x5, 1x4
    Deadlift 165lb - 2x5

Got in a quick workout before the big snowstorm. Some more light squats. Knee still felt OK-ish, not worse than before, and in fact maybe a little better. I'll keep increasing for now. Missed the last rep on my third set for the press. I think I need to work more on keeping my elbows forward after the first rep. Feeling better about deadlift form, I watched the video from Niki Sims about squeezing the bar off the floor and it was very helpful with my setup.

Squat 155lb - 3x5
    Bench 170lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 175lb - 2x5

In a much better place with the mental aspect today. Felt like I possibly figured out the source of some of my knee pain on squats. I'm not sure I have been contracting my abdominals as hard as I should, I really focused on keeping everything tight. I noticed when I did this it reduced the pressure/pain it felt like I was putting on my knee. Bench press went well, did not feel overly difficult. Deadlift also went well, although I banged the bar on my shins at one point, ouch. My gym has the stupid dodecahedron plates which sucks on the DL.

Squat 165lb - 3x5
    OHP 120lb - 1x5, 1x4, 1x5
    Deadlift 185lb - 2x5

Weight: 213 lb

Felt pretty good after today's workout. Squats went well, I've still been focused on keeping my abdominals contracted and 'tensing up' for lack of a better description and it seems to be helping as I had minimal knee pain today. Missed a rep on the second set for my press, not sure I rested sufficiently between sets. Made sure to take longer and made all the reps for the 3rd set. Deadlift still seems to be going OK, I've been adding a 2nd work set just to get more practice on form but I'll probably drop that soon. Have my next session with SSC Noah Milstein on Saturday.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 01-04-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added weight

Squat 175lb - 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 1x3, 105 lb - 1x4, 1x3
    Deadlift 195lb - 1x5

Had my 2nd coaching session yesterday in Boston, managed to squeak it in before the big snowstorm. Again it was extremely helpful. Slowly getting there with my squat form, although still inconsistent rep to rep. After warming up and watching my form, there were a few things I needed to focus on: breaking knees and hips at the same time at the beginning of the rep, folding my body over as I shove my hips back to keep the weight on the midfoot (at times I was too far back on my heels), and once again maintaining back angle coming out of the hole. The last problem was also one I had during our first session due to lack of keeping my chest and trunk tight. Belt should be coming in a few weeks which will hopefully help with that. Another issue I was having was going too deep on some reps. I need to work on feeling the hamstring stretch and then bouncing out of the hole.

Moved onto press which we had not covered last time. My grip was messed up, I didn't have the bar low enough in my hands and my wrists were bent incorrectly. I think I had the hip thrust thing down sort of but I was not getting my chest under the bar and once that correction was made I felt more of the weight supported in my back and traps. I had to back down the work set due to the form corrections. I will start my next workout at 100lb.

Didn't have time to get coached on deadlift but I did complete my reps and took some video which I'll upload to get feedback.

Squat 185lb - 3x5
    Bench 175lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 205lb - did not attempt

Kind of a meh workout today. Got to the gym late and felt kind of rushed. Squats went OK, still have some doubts on form but overall felt like I was keeping my weight midfoot. Hard for me to sense whether I am keeping my abs and lower back tight throughout the entire rep each time. Bench I completed all the reps but thought my form might have wavered a bit. I will repeat at 175lb next time. Ran out of time and could not do DL today. Argh.

Squat 190lb - 3x5
    OHP 100lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 205lb - 1x5

Felt pretty good today. Squats went well, I had read the article on the Active Hip 2.0 and really focused on shoving my knees out. I also worked more on keeping my back angle consistent and I felt myself keeping my chest up better than I had in the past. Still have squawky knee stuff, it's been OK lately and I would say it's still OK, no better or worse. For press I incorporated the tips from my last coaching session, especially regarding my grip and getting under the bar and supporting the weight with my traps. Deadlift was good, I got some feedback from video I took and worked on fixing my gaze, squeezing my quads at the top of each rep and shoving back harder on the descent.

Squat 195lb - 3x5
    Bench 175lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 215lb - 1x5

Weight: 216 lb

Had a good mindset today. Going to continue on now with 5lb increments on squat. Had a couple of shaky reps but overall felt like I got a good vasalva and kept weight over midfoot. Also felt like I was keeping my back angle more consistent between the descent and the ascent. Bench went well, kept back tight and eyes focused on one spot on the ceiling. Deadlift I made sure to squeeze my quads at the top of each rep and I gripped the bar harder. Overall I don't think my form is perfect on any of these exercises yet but I think it's much better than it was a couple of months ago. I also feel like I'm making progress and other than my knee nothing is really hurting much.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 01-15-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added current weight

Squat 200lb - 3x5
    OHP 105lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 225lb - did not attempt

OK workout today. Gym was very crowded and had to weight to get on the squat rack. Weight went up pretty easy today...easier than I remember 200lb being several weeks ago. Felt like my first work set form was better than the other two. A couple of reps I felt the weight shift either to the front or back, so I've still got to work on that. I do think I'm slowly figuring it out. RIght knee pain is still there, but not too bad. I have more confidence in it than I did before at this weight. Press went well, form felt good. Did not get a chance to deadlift today, ran out of time.

Squat 205lb - 3x5
    Bench 180lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 225lb - 1x4

Another OK day. Didn't feel especially pumped going into the workout but it wasn't a total grind either. Squat felt more difficult than last time. Still feel like there is some form shakiness but overall not too bad. I still wrap my right knee every workout and it has been doing OK. Ordered a belt almost 6 weeks ago and hoping it arrives soon. Was happy with bench, the weight went up fairly easily. Not happy with deadlifts, felt fatigued and the 1x4 was really more like a 4x1. Grip did not feel secure. Will repeat the weight next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 210lb - 3x5
    OHP 110lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 225lb - 1x5

Felt pretty good today. Squats went well, especially the 1st and 3rd sets where I felt balanced and form was pretty good. Having an easier time keeping my midsection tight and getting my chest up during the ascent. Press felt relatively easy, felt like I had a good solid grip and tight forearms and got my chest forward under the bar. Wasn't too happy with my deadlifts today, I was able to complete them but my form felt a bit off and on the final rep my grip started to go at the very bottom. With the weights starting to increase closer to my personal bests I need to start eating more to aid recovery.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 01-23-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast