Thread: NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat 215lb - 3x5
    Bench 185lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 235lb - did not attempt

Weight: 218 lb

Man do I suck at squats. I got through these today but it took a lot out of me and it's not supposed to be this tough yet. I did bench first because it was busy at the gym and the squat racks were taken so maybe I can chalk it up to that. I have been eating and sleeping pretty well overall. Still feel like form is kind of erratic. I did book another SSC session for mid February so hoping that will help get the kinks out. Bench went well, I'm near my PR and was surprised that it went up fairly easily (although again this could be because I did it first). No time for DL today.

1/31/2017:

Squat 220lb- 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 2x5
    Deadlift 235lb - 1x5

Forgot to post this at the time. Very crowded day at the gym and had a not great session, felt rushed. Squats went OK but suspect form on some reps. Press went well but some girl came over to me and was all like "I can't believe you're doing presses in the squat rack at 5pm on a Tuesday" referring to the fact that it was so busy. The guilt trip got me and I cut it short though I feel like I could have finished the 3rd set. Deadlift I used mixed grip, form was horrible in that I don't think I kept my back in extension on the descent. Will re-do the weight.

Squat 225lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 2x5, 1x3
    Deadlift 235lb - 1x5

Better squats today I think. Maybe went too deep on some of them. Knee feels OK. Bench not so good, felt like I was a bit unbalanced toward my dominant (right) side and didn't finish the last set. Deadlifts went much better than last time, back stayed tight and I feel ready to advance to the next weight. Used double overhand for a warm up rep at 215 and mixed grip at the working weight. Would like to improve grip strength so that I can use double overhand at higher weights. Have a coaching session in two weeks, and my belt is finally coming next week.

2/10/17:

Squat 230lb- 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 240lb - 1x5

Not a great training week, had to skip a couple of nights due to snowstorms, doctors appointments, and other general life chaos. Got back yesterday and felt good, squats didn't feel too tough. I'm not sure if it was because of the extra rest or because it was my first time lifting with my new belt, but I hope it keeps up that way. Knee felt OK during the workout but is a little sore now. OHP went well, felt a bit rushed and I think form suffered on a few reps but overall OK. DL used mixed grip, reps felt solid.

2/12/17:

Squat 235lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 245 lb - did not complete

Don't remember much from this workout. Felt pretty good on squats, bench was OK but some achiness in my left arm after. Not sure if it was from that or from always carrying my 1 year old son cradled in that arm.

Squat 240lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 245 lb - 1x5

Weight: 220lb

Had another coaching session with Noah. This was the best one as many of his corrections must have finally sunk into my thick head. Started with squat, he mentioned that I should always start the first warmup set of every exercise (except the DL) with the empty bar, which I have not always been doing. I was also doing a sort of good morning getting the bar off the rack, so I made some adjustments so I was doing more of mini squat while unracking. For the work sets, the most important thing I have to work on is keeping my upper back tight, especially on the ascent. He noticed during a few of my reps that there was some flexion and I felt the difference also. I also had some minor back angle timing issues and during one rep my knees were too far forward. Overall though this was by far my best squat session. Moving onto bench, the reps went well, I need to focus on maintaining a tight arched back for all reps, during the first work set I started off OK but then was losing some tightness. He used a cue to "push my chest into the bar" as I pressed which seemed to help me keep the back tight in the remaining work sets. The deadlifts went OK, I took video which I will examine later but I was too vertical in my setup, my hips needed to be higher.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 02-18-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add weight

I read through your log and wanted to check in and say that it looks like you're doing some great work lately. I'm a little jealous of your work with an SSC, because I know all too well how frustrating it is trying to troubleshoot your own lifts and how mentally challenging it can make a set knowing that you're not quite doing something right on form but cant pinpoint it. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by petesmithing View Post
    I read through your log and wanted to check in and say that it looks like you're doing some great work lately. I'm a little jealous of your work with an SSC, because I know all too well how frustrating it is trying to troubleshoot your own lifts and how mentally challenging it can make a set knowing that you're not quite doing something right on form but cant pinpoint it. Keep up the good work!
    Hey, thanks for the kind words. I never thought I'd be one to go for coaching sessions because I didn't consider myself a serious lifter or some nonsense like that. At some point though I realized I was going to get myself injured continuing on without some help because even after reading the book and watching videos on technique I still wasn't getting it. It's not particularly convenient for me to go but it's been so worth it. Also I checked out your log and looks like you have made some strong progress as well, nice job!

Yeah, the coaching sessions seem like an invaluable tool. I wish it was something that I could afford and had one close enough near me to go to. I dont exactly trust anyone that isn't SSC certified. But I make the best of what I have and the forum has definitely helped me out more than what I could do on my own.

starting strength coach development program
    2/24/17:

Squat 245lb- did not attempt
    OHP 120lb - 2x5, 1x4
    Deadlift 250lb - 1x5

Kind of a sporadic training week, had a bit of an upper respiratory thing going on which slowed me down a bit but really isn't a good excuse, mostly it was poor motivation. For this workout I couldn't get the squat rack for a while so I decided to do some deadlifts and make the best of it. They felt good, used double overhand for a warmup rep at 235 and then mixed grip for the work set. My gym has the flat edge plates which is beyond annoying though as they roll after almost every rep. At the end I finally was able to get in some OHP and these felt OK, pretty annoyed I couldn't get the last rep on the 3rd set but oh well.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast