starting strength gym

Thread: Service Member in Kuwait

Default Service Member in Kuwait

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I've inconsistently jumped around from body building program to body building program with big time gaps between efforts. Currently, I'm stationed at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait. Most people aren't familiar with Camp Arifjan but it's a very established location for the Army and other service components. My goal for my 9 month deployment was to get shredded but as it turns out, there's a lot of stress to deal with being away from family and friends for an extended period of time that I found trouble finding consistency with other programs.

It wasn't until another officer in my section talked to me about Starting Strength and I half listened and, almost with realizing what I did, agreed to borrow his copy of Starting Strength to read. It sat next to my bunk for about a month before I really even looked at it seriously, and that wasn't until I came across the Art of Manliness youtube videos. This was about 2-3 months ago. I've enjoyed the program because it is very explicit on what is required for each workout, I don't do good without clear timelines and goals. Also, since it's only 3 days a week, that allows me plenty of time to focus on the mission and graduate classes I'm taking online through Indiana University.

My starting numbers (in pounds) for my first workout were:
    Squat: 170
    Bench: 140
    Press: 100
    Deadlift: 190

(Male, 32 years old, 190 lbs body weight, about 18-19% body fat, and 5'10")

I've made steady progress for a number of weeks, only having to take a couple breaks to let some temporary, acute gastro-intestinal issues pass. After 7 weeks of training and involuntary breaks, I've progressed to the following numbers:
    Squat: 260
    Bench: 177.5
    Press: 117.5
    Deadlift: 275
    Power Clean: 120

I've struggled the most with the press but I've been reading that it is pretty common to do so. Back around week 5 or 6, I dropped my upper body weight increases to 2.5 lbs and my lower body increases to 5 lbs. I've been really happy with the progress and have been learning to not get discouraged when I miss a set or am forced to do a reset. This week I'm starting the novice-intermediate phase next by incorporating chin ups, pull ups, and a light squat day into the routine. I'm hoping to progress to weights reflecting an intermediate point before I head home in March. This program, minus a cardio routine, is perfect for the new Army Combat Fitness Test that is currently going into effect for the Army.

I've been tempted to switch routines the last couple weeks so I'm going to post my progress over the next couple months in hopes that it provides a little accountability to stick with the program through to the end (which for me is a 300-315 lb squat).

Squat today at 260 lbs was going well until I bottomed out on my third rep of my third set. Will try again on Friday for 260.
    Benched 177.5 lbs today and got all 5 reps for 3 sets.

I'm forced to take a physical fitness test in January which requires that I complete a 2-mile run in under 17:46. I have some work to do to accomplish this. I jogged 2 miles after my training today. Will continue to do so on lift days to build up my cardio to pass the fitness test. I'm interested to see how my running will impact my routine and vice versa.

Had my first light squat day yesterday, 210 lbs was 80% weight but felt like a lot more than that. Not sure if it was from running the previous workout or what but it felt a lot heavier.
    I successfully completed 3x5 for 117.5 lbs on the overhead press. This felt good and I am looking forward to bumping up to 120 lbs on my next overhead press workout.
    I deadlifted 275 lbs which felt really good, probably could have done another 10-15 lbs easily.
    After my workout, I ran 2 miles. I'm curious what the impact with be on my squat tomorrow.

Numbers for todays workout:
    Squat 260 3x5
    Bench 180 3x5

Ran 2 miles after my workout as well.
    Last edited by njose424; 12-30-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Missed a couple of posts but not workouts!

12/24/19
    Squat 265lbs 3x5
    Press 120lbs 2x5 +1x4, just missed a complete set by one rep

12/27/19
    Light squat day
    Bench 182.5 3x5

good steady work and progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    good steady work and progress!
    Thanks! I've really been enjoying the program.

12/30/19 workout

Squat 270 lbs 3x5
    Press 120lbs 2x5 +1x4, just missed a complete set by one rep again, hopefully next set will be a full set

1/2/20 workout

Squat 275 lbs 3x5
    Bench press 185 lbs was a complete failure, couldn't even complete my first set

starting strength coach development program
    I'm almost 73. You have caught me with your lifts. I must work harder. Seriously, I'm just happy to be lifting.

I do think running is often a distraction from gains in your lifts. However, two miles for just under 18 minutes should not be much of a problem. You're a strapping young man and should be able to carry this through. You may want to skip running for a few months after you pass you physical tests just to see how far you can do your LP.

Did I miss something? What are your deadlift numbers. For that matter, what have you been doing for the last 9 days?