starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NH_guy Training Log

Default NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Long time lurker here. My story:

34 yo, 6'3", 200 lb. Was a stick growing up, started to mess around with weights around college years and continued off and on doing all the wrong things for years. I also went through a running phase where I was doing a half marathon roughly every year. I still enjoy running a 5K every now and then but I want to focus more on strength training now. Last year I began the starting strength program at 190lb and made some great gains December-April, up to 215lb and then took some time off from it...when the weather gets nice out my motivation levels tend to wane. I stopped training regularly and was doing some more running so I lost some of my gains.

I have some goals, I'd like to get back up to 220lb and obviously be lifting more than my sad sack numbers right now. My underlying goal is to be a big strong guy for my 1 year old son to look up to.

Right now starting the program again my lifts are at
    5x3 155lb squat
    5x3 155lb bench
    5x3 90lb OHP
    5x3 205lb deadlift

I know those numbers are pathetic, I had to back down a bit from where I was at last year. I am least comfortable with my form on the squat, I should really take a video to get a sense of all the horrendously wrong things I am probably doing. Last year I did manage to load the bar up to about 220lb for my squat and then had some issues with biceps tendonitis and other pain that indicated to me that I was fucking up. So I've got a long way to go but I'm going to try to use this forum to help keep me motivated through the winter and beyond.

Welcome. It is good to get back and even better to stay with it. I ran to keep up with sons. Now I'm lifting to keep up with grandsons. It's good motivation.

videos are good but so is a visit with a certified SS coach. I'm not sure where the closest one to you is but probably in Mass.

Best wishes, Dad.

Greetings from a fellow New Englander and Cow-Hampshirite!

DO NOT beat yourself up about your 'pathetic numbers". You know the program and what it has done for you in the past; it will do so this time around too. Kids are GREAT motivation!

Best of luck!

Welcome! Don't worry about where your lifts are now- they will improve quickly. Look at some other logs and look at where they started. No different than you. Your biggest challenge (and everyone's, for that matter) is to STICK WITH IT! Good luck!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome. I'm usually a very self-sufficient kind of guy but I think a community of support like this forum provides will be a big help. I had thought about a SS coach but being a stubborn NH guy I hate having to go to MA for anything and deal with the traffic, etc. I'm sure you can relate Grumpy Old Mike! Headed to the gym after work today, we'll see how it goes.

Squat 160lb - 5x3
    Bench 150lb - 5x3
    Row 95lb - 5x3

Yes, I know, rows. Working on flexibility issues and hope to be able to power clean eventually. Felt good tonight. Almost didn't get to squat because the gym was so packed, I had to wait a while for the power rack.

Squat 165lb - 5x3
    OHP 95lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 215lb - 5x3

Felt some achiness in my left arm after squat, a bit discouraging as that was what I developed last year that hindered my progress. I need to focus on keeping my shoulders tight, I think the bar might be sliding too low on my later reps. I should start doing shoulder dislocations again too. Effort wise squat felt difficult and the press and deadlift felt relatively easy.

Glad you're onboard. Don't worry about start weights, it's the journey that will be fulfilling. Stuff will ache here and there, but try to work through it. Massages have helped me immensely for general arm aches and tendinitis.

Squat 170lb - 5x3
    Bench 155lb - 5x3
    Row 100lb - 5x3

Weight - 205lb

Schedule almost got thrown off today between the election and wife getting sick with a stomach bug. Still managed to get out there. Squat went much better than last time, I really focused on keeping my back tight and I felt more in control of the reps. Bench was fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 175lb - 5x3
    OHP 100lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 225lb - 5x3

Good workout today. Squats went OK, felt like I was getting good depth. I try to use a mental checklist now before each set, focusing on 3 things- 1) Squeeze my back real tight and keep it tight for every rep 2) Push my knees out and keep them out 3) Lower the bar in a controlled manner. For the DL I was happy that I could still use a double overhand grip but I think next time I will need mixed grip.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast