Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat 180lb - 5x3
    Bench 160lb - 5x3
    Row 105lb - 5x3

Squats felt tough again but not overwhelming. Still have some general achiness in my left arm, nothing that has impacted my lifts to this point but I'm monitoring it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Even though it was not a press day I was watching some videos today and I think I need to revisit my form for Tuesday's workout.

Squat 185lb - 5x3
    OHP 105lb - 3x1, 95lb 5x3
    Deadlift 235lb - 4x1, 1x1

Squats felt alright today, I was focused on making sure my knees weren't going too far forward. I felt pretty good about form but I really need to take some video. As I suspected my press form was all messed up and I spent some time before today's workout watching some video and reading up on it. I tried to fix form errors in my warmup sets and then at 105lb but that wasn't happening so I backed up to 95 lb and squeezed out my sets. I wasn't driving my hips forward before so I was focused on that as well as aiming for my nose with the bar. I'm not sure what the hell I was doing before. I felt it more in my shoulders which I think is a good thing? For deadlift even though I knew better I tried using double overhand, I felt my grip slipping on the 4th rep so I changed to mixed grip to complete the final rep. I had been going up in 10lb increments but I'll have to back it down to 5lb increases soon.

Squat 190lb - 5x3
    Bench 165lb - 5x3
    Row - Did not do

Kind of felt blah going into the workout today, didn't get the greatest sleep the last couple of nights. Powered through the squats and bench, had to wait around a bit to get the squat rack so I skipped out on the rows today. While I was waiting I did some light press work and I feel a lot better about the form there. Have had some mild discomfort/stiffness under my right kneecap recently, doesn't seem to be getting worse but I am monitoring it. I also booked a session with a SS coach out of Boston.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 11-18-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Squat 195lb - 5x3
    OHP 100lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 235lb - 5x1

Weight - 210lb

Felt pretty spent after today's workout. Mornings are usually tougher for me. Squats felt tough, had to really battle for the last rep on sets 2 and 3 but I got them up. I always find it humbling that most people on here can squat a lot more than I can at a much lower body weight. How are you all doing it so easy?? I think my form is OK but we will see in a couple of weeks. Press went well, I think I'm getting a feel for the whole hip thrust/bounce off the tension. It does take a lot more out of me now to keep my quads and abs tight. For the deadlift I used mixed grip and really tried to squeeze my chest up and the set of 5 went fine. Left arm and right knee are still achy, right knee weirdly felt the worst during my light warm up squats, and then as it got heavier it felt better. Not sure why that is.

Squat 200lb - 5x3
    Bench 165lb - 5x3
    PC - 60lb - 5x3

OK workout today. Squat went well, right knee felt a little better during reps but is sore now. Felt nice to finally be in the 200s. Last couple of reps my knees wanted to cave in but I forced them back out. Bench I didn't increase from last session because I wanted to work on a few form concerns. I will increase next workout. My left arm felt achy after bench, moreso than previously. Got sick of rows so I tried some power cleans, I'm not sure you could even really call them that because I have no idea what I'm doing there. Need to re-read the chapter on those before I try them again.

Squat 205lb - 5x3
    OHP 105lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 245lb - 5x1

Good workout today, fueled by yesterday's turkey, stuffing, and potatoes. Squats still feel difficult, doing my best to keep form acceptable for all reps. Press felt relatively easy, and so did deadlifts. Mixed grip again with the deadlifts.

Squat 210lb - 5x1, 0 , 0
    Bench 170lb - 5x3
    PC - 70lb - 5x3

Discouraging day. Felt sluggish this morning, squat warmups felt more tiring than normal. I thought that I was letting the weight control me rather than the other way around, so I focused on my form for my last couple of warmups and actually felt pretty good going into the work set. After my first set of 5 though, I felt a lot of pain in my right knee and I didn't want to risk any further injury so I stopped. That knee has been bothering me for weeks and this is the worst it has been. My guess is I did not get my knees out far enough on one of the reps. Completed the bench reps but my left arm was aching pretty fiercely after each set. My mentality going into the cleans was terrible and I did some but again feel that my form is probably lacking. Have the coaching session scheduled for Saturday which is great timing because my initial excitement about starting LP again is starting to wane.

Try knee wraps for heavy squats.

Squat 210lb - 5x3
    OHP 110lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 255lb - 5x1

Felt pretty good today, much better than Sunday. Squat went OK, still some cranky knee stuff going on but nothing like a few days ago. I did order some knee wraps and they should be arriving tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion Carson. I feel a little sheepish since I'm not even doing what most would consider heavy squats yet but if this helps it will be well worth it. Press went well, form still feels a little off but better than it was a few weeks ago for sure. Deadlifts were fine, I will probably have to go to 5 lb. increases after today. Need to focus on maintaining form for all reps, my back wasn't tight enough for the last couple.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_guy View Post
    Squat 195lb - 5x3

Weight - 210lb

Squats felt tough, had to really battle for the last rep on sets 2 and 3 but I got them up. I always find it humbling that most people on here can squat a lot more than I can at a much lower body weight. How are you all doing it so easy??
    Because they aren't 6'3". It's a long way down/up for twigs like us. You are doing great! Already gained 10 lbs!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast