Thread: NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_guy View Post
    Squat 210lb - 5x3
    OHP 110lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 255lb - 5x1

Felt pretty good today, much better than Sunday. Squat went OK, still some cranky knee stuff going on but nothing like a few days ago. I did order some knee wraps and they should be arriving tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion Carson. I feel a little sheepish since I'm not even doing what most would consider heavy squats yet but if this helps it will be well worth it. Press went well, form still feels a little off but better than it was a few weeks ago for sure. Deadlifts were fine, I will probably have to go to 5 lb. increases after today. Need to focus on maintaining form for all reps, my back wasn't tight enough for the last couple.
    I hear you about the squats brother! And I appreciate Kitsuma recognizing that it's a long way to go when you're 6'3"!

Looking forward to following your progress as well!

Thanks guys. Helps to know I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Squat 215lb - 5x3
    Bench 175lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 255lb - incomplete

Had my session with SSC Noah Milstein today. Can't stress enough how beneficial this was. We went over squat first, and overall it was somewhat encouraging as my form wasn't as horrible as I suspected it might be. Bar placement was good, depth was good. He pointed out that I was not straightening my knees after unracking the bar. My main problem was keeping my back angle consistent between the descent and the ascent. I have a tendency to be more hunched over/horizontal on the ascent and it is hindering my ability to transmit the force from my hip drive to the bar. This post describes the same issue and Noah used the same "raise the chest" cue as described. He let me borrow a belt and I noticed a big difference in my ability to keep my core tight throughout the exercise with it. So I will be looking to get my own.

We moved on to bench where I was doing a few things OK and a lot of things wrong. My grip was too wide. My biggest problem though was that I was not squeezing in my shoulder blades enough and keeping my back very tight during reps. The whole motion felt different, and "shorter", when doing this. I was also not engaging my lats to "pull" the bar down during the descent portion of the movement. He also noticed that on my later reps in the workset that my right arm was coming up faster than my left. When I consciously attempted to correct this, the lift definitely became more difficult. He recommended a 10-15% reset in weight to correct this before moving back up in weight. So my next bench workout will be at 155lb.

For deadlift, I was already way over on time but Noah was good enough to give me some help there. He keyed me to get my chest up and to keep it in contact with my shins and thighs at all times. I also was not fully straightening my knees at the top of the movement so he cued me to flex my quads. However my biggest problems are definitely with the descent part of the motion. I'm a mess. There wasn't time to really fix it but I need to work on keeping my lower back flexed. He recommended doing some Romanian deadlifts to improve this.

One of my overall takeaways is how important it is to contract/activate certain muscle groups (especially the back and core) during the exercises. I think I have been pretty inconsistent with this. I also think my overall proprioception is poor, I felt like sort of like an idiot a lot of the time as he explained a movement to me in a very reasonable way and yet I wasn't always able to figure out how to make my body do that particular thing. Anyhow I wish there was a SSC closer to me because I would definitely take advantage of this as often as I could. I certainly will try to go back for another coaching session.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 12-03-2016 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added link

Squat 220lb - incomplete
    OHP 110lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 225lb - incomplete

Kind of a lost afternoon today. Didn't feel motivated for today's workout, and my right knee had really been acting up after Saturday's session. No squat racks available when I got to the gym, so I worked press first, worked on keeping my core tight and the reps went OK. Doubts about form creeping in. For my deadlifts my SSC had recommended a reset to work on the eccentric portion of the lift, I was struggling during the warmup reps and need to get back to the book to figure it out. I wrapped my knee and tried some warmup squats and it was not happening. A lot of discomfort. I think my wraps are too heavy so I'm going to get some lighter ones. Not sure if it's quadriceps tendonitis or patellofemoral pain. Hoping for better in a couple of days.

Squat 185lb - 5x3
    Bench 155lb - 5x3
    Deadlift ???lb - incomplete

Felt OK today. I was nervous going into the squats because of how much my knee has been aching lately. Before the workout I decided that I must be doing something wrong with my form, although I haven't figured out exactly what yet. I do feel pressure on my knees at the bottom of the motion, I don't think I'm sliding my knees out though. I do think my hamstrings are very tight. I backed the weight off and wrapped my knee and the squats didn't feel that bad, but I still don't feel confident with them. Bench went well, I felt much better about form after my coaching session. I did not deadlift today, I did some RDLs to practice my back extension which is how I came to the conclusion that my hamstrings are tight. I could barely get the bar to my knees with my back in extension with 60lbs. Hope to transition back to some deadlifts next workout, I will have to reset.

Squat 195lb - 5x3
    OHP 115lb - 5, 4, 4
    Deadlift 135lb - 3x3

Another meh sort of workout. Squat felt OK, used light wraps on the knee and it didn't squawk too much but it's aching a lot now. I felt like my form was inconsistent on reps, I don't have a great feeling for what the differences are. Press didn't go so well, on my 2nd set especially I don't think I was aiming for my nose enough with the bar. Missed the final rep on both 2nd and 3rd set. For deadlift I did some light sets of 3 and really tried to focus on keeping my back extended throughout the motion. I have a really difficult time with it but am noticing some slight progress. I really need to video some of my work sets to work on form issues. Also trying to schedule another coaching session in January, I would like sooner but it's too crazy around the holidays. Also ordered a belt.

Squat 205lb - 4, 0, 0
    Bench 160lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 135lb - 5x3

Weight: 213lb

Not a great day. Mentally I wasn't gung ho going into today's workout. I wasn't able to fully commit to my squats, and after some more knee pain during the first work set I packed it in. I had done some soul searching in the past few days about what I want out of this program...my knee was acting up when I was picking up my son's toys off the floor and I felt frustrated. I want to get stronger but not at the expense of my mobility since I'm clearly doing something wrong. I'm going to lay off the squats for a week or so to see how my knee feels and then try to work my way back up from a total reset. It's frustrating to not be able to progress the way I want to so far, but I'm not giving up. I have a belt coming in 4-6 weeks and I'm planning another SSC session for the new year so I'm hopeful that once I work the kinks out I'll be back on the ascent. On the plus side, my bench reps went OK and I felt form was pretty good. Also for deadlift I think my form has improved, I'm going to ramp back up with 10lb increases starting next workout.

12/19/2016:

Squat ??? - Incomplete
    OHP 115lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 145lb - 5x3

This was my last workout. I fell off the wagon recently due to a multitude of excuses ranging from the busyness of the holiday, a death in the family, the kid getting sick, a bunch of stress at work, my knee hating me, and just a general lack of motivation. I have been eating like crap lately and sleep has not been great. I am ready to get back to it today and put that all behind me. My belt should be coming soon and I have a SSC session scheduled for Jan. 7th. Will update later today after my workout.

I don't think people give the mental aspect its due when lifting. With a busy life, it's hard to dedicate even 2 days per week to get to not only get to the gym, but to get the mental focus required to get into the lifts. I've found that if you just get to the gym, however, good things will happen. A couple of sets of light squats can keep progress from stalling. With injuries, just do your best to work around them. Knee pain sucks, but you should still be able to bench press - maybe even some light squats with the bar only and a focus on form. Just to keep things loose. Good idea about the SSC appointment. Very valuable. And fun!

Keep it up and take care!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks iron. I do think the mental part is the hardest, especially after the initial excitement is over and the rapid progression starts to slow. This board has been a huge help for me to stay somewhat motivated and at least attempt to keep up with all the heavy lifters on here. Hoping that today got me back in the rhythm and on the right track

Squat 135lb - 5x3
    Bench 165lb - 5x3
    Deadlift 155lb - 5x3

Did some very light squats today just to test out the knee. It felt OK-ish. Depending on how it feels in a couple of days I may try to do bump up in 10 lb increments. Bench went well, weight went up pretty easily and I think I did a decent job keeping my shoulder blades together and upper back tight. Deadlift also went alright, still some form kinks to work out but I think I'm keeping my lower back tighter throughout the whole range of motion.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast