• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/19/19:
    Squat 185lb - 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 1x4, 1x4, 1x4
    Deadlift 270lb - 1x4

Body weight: 207lb

Not really great. I re-read all the chapters on squats and especially tried to focus on keeping the muscles controlling my lumbar spine tight. I know how to control these muscles, but I feel like during the squat movement, especially at the bottom, I lose the kinesthetic sense of what exactly is going on with them. I think my form was better but I felt pretty spent after the squats which is sad for this amount of weight. OHP was blah, looking back I should have repeated 110lb. Deadlifts went better than expected but couldn't get the last rep. I think I need to start eating a bit more.

8/23/19:
    Squat 190lb - 3x5
    Bench 175lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 270lb - 1x4

Felt like I had a little better sense of the position of my lower back muscles. During the last set of squats I sensed I was not keeping things tight enough. Had to mix up the order of the exercises due to equipment availability. Couldn't quite muster the last DL rep again. Felt like my back was rounding.

8/26/19:
    Squat 195lb - 3x5
    OHP 110lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 270lb - DNA

9/4/19:
    Squat 200lb - 3x5
    Bench 175lb - 3x5
    Deadlift DNA

Had a couple of rushed workouts, time has been at a premium lately. Squats and bench went well today, it had been a while since the last workout so I think the extra recovery played a role. Was not able to deadlift. Hoping to get back on track now.

9/9/19:
    Squat 205lb - 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 2x5, 1x3
    Deadlift 270lb - 1x5

Even with the failure on OHP, felt really good with this workout. I think I stayed 'tight' on my squat and DL reps better than I have in previous sessions. I still think my squat form is a little all over the map but today seemed to go well. I was also happy with the DL, had to really grind on the last rep but it went up.

Hey NH_guy, just creeping on the logs.
    The OHP really is a tough and technical lift to nail down. Do you have micro plates for it? If you’re stalling out or missing reps so soon into the restart of your LP you may have started too ambitiously. I think I’ve done something similar with my recent starting of the NLP again.
    I’ve been told it’s easier to make longer term progress not doing 5 reps of 3 sets so close to max intensity. You can progress far with 2.5lb press increases easier than adding 5 every time and failing or almost failing reps.

You may also benefit knocking your press down 10 or 15 lbs and stick to smaller jumps.

Keep up the great work. I’ll be following along!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_T View Post
    Hey NH_guy, just creeping on the logs.
    The OHP really is a tough and technical lift to nail down. Do you have micro plates for it? If you’re stalling out or missing reps so soon into the restart of your LP you may have started too ambitiously. I think I’ve done something similar with my recent starting of the NLP again.
    I’ve been told it’s easier to make longer term progress not doing 5 reps of 3 sets so close to max intensity. You can progress far with 2.5lb press increases easier than adding 5 every time and failing or almost failing reps.

You may also benefit knocking your press down 10 or 15 lbs and stick to smaller jumps.

Keep up the great work. I’ll be following along!

Hey thanks for the feedback Jared. I do have micro plates...somewhere! I bought them a couple years ago during a separate LP attempt and now seem to have lost track of them. I'll track them down or buy a new set. I was hopeful my progress wouldn't stall out so soon since I think I maxed out at 135 or 140 in previous years. I was definitely overambitious with the DL also which I really feel has been tough to recover from. Thanks for following, I'll check out your log also.

9/13/19:
    Squat 210lb - 3x5
    Bench 180lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 225lb - 1x9

Body weight: 210lb

Squats felt good again, stayed tight and they felt tough but not impossible. Bench went well, I feel it getting tougher though and will probably need to get more recovery in between sets soon. I've been resting about 4-5 minutes between to save time, going to have to adjust my schedule to allow for more than that. Did a lighter, volume session with the DL which was tough but felt good. My mindset is still optimistic, still feeling strong and healthy so far.
    Last edited by NH_guy; 09-13-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added weight

9/16/19:
    Squat 215lb - 3x5
    OHP 115lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 275lb - 1x3, 1x2

Another solid workout where I felt good. Squats went up relatively easy, stayed tight. One of the last reps of the 3rd set I think my left knee extended too far late in the descent which led to a little stress on the knee but no lasting impact. OHP went much better today, even the final reps of the 3rd set went up without too much of a fight, with that said I should probably microload from here so I'll have to find those plates. I had a good deadlift warmup but these seemed really heavy today. Have to repeat next time.

9/19/19:
    Squat 220lb - 3x5
    Bench 185lb - 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x3
    Deadlift 230lb - 1x7

Still going well. Usually at this point in the program I feel like I have some sort of form-related injury start to develop so I'm being mindful of that, but so far I'm feeling great. The squats went up without too much struggle. I didn't have the mental belief in my bench so I will have to repeat next time. Did a lighter deadlift session.

9/23/19:
    Squat 225lb - 3x5
    OHP 117.5lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 275lb - 1x5

Body weight: 211lb

Progress continues. Finally got back to a 2-plate squat, which is encouraging. I felt a little tiredness in my lower back after today's workout but nothing severe. Mindset is good. I found my plates to be able to microload for the OHP and they went up OK, a little bit of a struggle on the last reps of set 2 and 3. The deadlift took a lot out of me, the last rep my back position was definitely not great but it went up. I haven't been eating a whole lot more or at least it doesn't feel like it, but am happy with how I've been managing recovery and nutrition thus far.

starting strength coach development program
    9/26/19:
    Squat 230lb - 3x5
    Bench 185lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 235lb - 1x6

Felt good today. Squats went OK, my knees caved a little in on a few of the reps so I need to be more consicious to keep them shoved out. Started using the belt on my work sets. Bench went much better than last time, felt like I was keeping my feet more planted to the floor and driving from the chest more. Even the light deadlifts today were tough.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast