Thread: NH_guy Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    9/30/19:
    Squat 235lb - 3x5
    OHP 120lb - 1x4, 1x4, 1x3, 1x3, 1x1
    Deadlift 280lb - 1x4, 1x1

Again felt great today though the results didn't necessary reflect that. Squats went up again, felt like form was relatively decent, knees didn't feel like they caved in as much as last time. Didn't have as much time for this workout as I wanted, and rushed the OHP a little, didn't give myself enough time for proper recovery between each work set. Just didn't have the belief to put up the weight today. Was actually very happy with the deadlift even though I missed the last rep, felt stronger than I thought I would. I've settled into a twice a week routine which I know is NDTFP but Monday's workouts always seem to go well because I have extra recovery. Overall still in a very positive mindset.

10/2/19:
    Squat 240lb - 1x4, 1x3, 1x5
    Bench 190lb - 1x3, 1x3, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2

Did not go into today's workout with the right attitude. I have been typically resting 2-3 days between sessions, but because of my schedule this week I opted to workout today with only 1 day of rest and went through my routine sort of expecting to miss reps, which led to actually missing reps. I think I could have done better. Squats felt shaky and heavy today. On the bright side I got all 5 reps on the last set, and I still feel healthy and uninjured. On my bench again I felt like I could have done better but just got nervous and didn't complete my sets.

10/4/19:
    OHP 120lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 240lb - 1x6, 1x1

Snuck in a stopgap workout before I get back on schedule next week, skipped squats and hope to be fresh for them next time. Press went well, the 2nd and 3rd sets seemed easier than the 1st. Light deadlifts went fine.

10/7/19:
    Squat 240lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 1x3, 1x4, 1x3
    Deadlift 290lb - 1x3, 1x2

A bit out of sorts this evening. The rack wasn't available at first, so I started warming up for the other exercises and then rushed a bit through the routine. Squats went well, felt strong. One rep in the 3rd set I felt a little out of balance but other than that felt solid. Bench was too rushed, I felt I could have done better. Deadlift I bumped up 10lbs from my last heavy set, sort of by accident. I don't think my form was terrible so I'll stick with it for next time.

10/11/19:
    Squat 245lb - 1x3, 1x4, 1x5, 1x3
    OHP 122.5lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 235lb - 1x7

Body weight: 214lb

Had a poor week of sleep and nutrition. Not in a great mental state with the squats tonight. Felt my form was off. Powered through but just felt it was a lazy effort and I'll repeat the weight. Also I'd like to get more separation between my squat and DL so I'm OK with maintaining a bit on squat until DL is upped a bit. OHP went much better than I expected after my poor squats. Pretty easy overall. Just did some light DLs to save time.

10/14/19:
    Squat 245lb - 3x5
    Bench 187.5lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 295lb - 1x3, 1x1

Felt good today I was well rested and ready to go. Squats were tough but went up. The last rep of the 3rd set may have been short of depth. For bench, I decided to back off and microload and was able to complete the sets. Was feeling so good that I decided to up the ante on the DL again, but didn't quite get all the reps in. I did 2 more reps after the first 3 but my grip slipped on the last one so I didn't count it. My squat and DL are approaching my personal bests and I still feel pretty good, so I'm happy about that. Hope to continue the progress.

10/18/19:
    Squat 245lb - 1x5, 225lb - 2x5
    OHP 125lb - 1x2, 1x3, 1x3, 1x4, 1x3
    Deadlift 245lb - 1x7

Going into today I knew I was going to have a garbage workout. My schedule got thrown off this week, I wanted to lift Thursday but had to do Friday instead, I got inadequate sleep and my nutrition was subpar. Still I made my attempts at the squat and my first set was awful, lazy, no belief in the reps and my form sucked causing me to tweak my back slightly. After that I backed off the weight and really tried to tighten up form and felt much better about the remaining sets. Also had no belief in the OHP today but got all the reps in but not in 3 sets. Deadlift felt fine at a lighter weight today. Overall I felt really taxed during and after which I'm going to attribute to lack of sleep and crap nutrition, and hope for better next week. I can still feel the tweak in my back but I don't think it's too serious.

10/21/19:
    Squat 230lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 1x4, 1x4, 1x4, 1x3
    Deadlift 295lb - 1x5

Felt much better today. My Monday workouts usually seem to go better because I tend to get more sleep on the weekends. I backed off on squats based on my previous workout and wanting to make sure my form was still sufficient. Today felt good and relatively easy as it should have I suppose. Bench was frustrating, I hit a wall again at 190lb although this was my best attempt at it thus far. I think I need to re-read the chapter in SST on bench. I might have been able to get 5 reps on a couple of the sets if I had a spotter but I got nervous and played it safe. Completed all my reps for deadlift which I was really happy about. It was a new PR for me and I felt like my form was pretty decent on all reps save the last one where my back was probably too rounded. I've never attempted a 300lb DL so I'm excited to try that soon.

10/25/19:
    Squat 235lb - 3x5
    OHP 125lb - 3x5
    Deadlift 250lb - 1x7

Solid sleep led to a solid workout. Squats felt tough but not overwhelmingly so. I think form was good but really need to take some video to review. Got all of the OHP reps in, the last rep of the 3rd set I went a little off balance but recovered it. The light deadlifts were fine.

starting strength coach development program
    10/29/19:
    Squat 240lb - 3x5
    Bench 190lb - 1x5, 1x4, 1x4, 1x2
    Deadlift 300lb - 1x3, 1x2

Body weight: 215lb

Wasn't really sure what to expect this workout, I had been getting OK sleep but nutrition had been kind of crappy the last few days and I'd spent a lot of time sitting and driving recently. Squats went well, I expected them to be tougher but I didn't feel too gassed at the end of them. Bench again showed some improvement but I think I'm really struggling mentally to get those last reps of each set in. I need to go back and read the blue book again to check my form. Felt good to pull 300lb today even though I couldn't get all 5 reps in a single set. That's a big mental boost for me as I've never reached that # before. Overall I'm keeping a pretty positive mindset because this is the furthest I've made it on LP without an injury to impede my progress. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. I haven't really put on any weight recently so I need to work on adding some more protein and calories to keep the numbers moving up.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast