starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old man training for strength after recomp.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stretches, rolling, and power clean stretches and holding 40 kilos stretched out on my delts for a bit. Did 15 minutes of HIIT on a rower. Thats it.

Terrible workout today. Everything went wrong. Have a cold, Didn't sleep well, Ate crap yesterday.

I misloaded the bar on my squats 10kg too high. Was brutal. Figured it out after the second set of 5. Slightly tweaked lower back on last rep of second set. Stripped and did 3rd set lighter. Skipped straight legged deadlifts because of (hopefully) minor tweak.

Squats 2x5x118, 1x5x110
    Bench: 1x4x94, 2x3x94 Back felt funny getting into the arch so I didn't push it.
    RDL: Skipped
    Chinups 3x8xBodyweight

I'm really looking forward to these 2 days off.

So saw the PT Friday evening after the back started to get really worrysome. Not a muscle tear, either an impingement on the nerve roots below L4 or, most likely (and I forget the names) a ligament sprain having to do with the SI joint. Its most likely a sprain on each side as it aches but no shooting pains and its REALLY low. Like high ass cheek low. Shes a great PT and deals with mainly endurance and strength athletes. She told me as soon as the swelling was down (600 to 800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours) to get under the bar and get blood into it. So that's what I did today.

Squats 5x5x20kg
    OHP 5x5x20kg
    DL : Skipped
    10 minutes of rowing, Bi's and tris (was bored) with some stretching and back mobility.

Feels pretty good. Its not great but I can move around and its not excruciating. Getting old sucks, as does being stupid and not paying attention to your load, or your form.

Continued to rehab

Squats 5x5x20
    Bench 3x8x70
    Incline 3x5x60
    Lat pulls-downs and some cable work to stretch lower back gently.

I plan to lightly load myself on squats tomorrow and see if I can do my regular weight on OHP.

More Rehab

Squat 3x5x60
    OHP 3x5x50
    Deadlift 5x5x50

Back still a bit tender but its getting better.

Stretching and Calves. Also practice racking cleans.

I'm extremely happy I decided to get under the bar this time after a back injury. First time I've done this. Although tight, after a week I'm nearly 80% of the way recovered. Pain is down to a 2-3 out of 10. Based on past experience, it'd take a month doing nothing to be fully recovered. I'm off to Antigua for 10 days, and then a board meeting in Ft. Lauderdale so I won't be training till the 3rd. I found a cross fit box I can hopefully train on the 3rd and 5th.

Squat 3x5x80 (rehab)
    Bench 3x5x92 (move up next session)
    RDL 3x8x40 (Rehab)
    Chinups 1x8 (My abs are wrecked from coughing from this sinus infection/cold I have. Felt like i was going to tear in half so I skipped the last 2 sets)

So I found a gym in Antigua. No barbells but some machines and dumbells

Leg press sled. 3x5x540. I might have not gone deep enough but it's an awkward ass movement because I can't push my hips back and up. Who the fuck uses this thing?!?

Incline bench 3x5x75 dumbbell
    Bench 3x5x85 dumbbell
    RDL 3x8x135 curlbar ????
    Wide grip chins 3x8

Well, at least I was able to do something. I'm wondering if heavy dumbbell lunges might be better than that damn sled. I'm screwed as far as deadlifting goes. I'm gonna grab the heavy dumbells and see if I can do RDLs with those.

So again today did what I could with a general lack of equipment.

3x5x80 dumbell pullovers
    3x5x75 one arm bent over rows.
    3x12x270 sled calf raises
    3x12x135 seated calf raises
    Hanging abb raises along with some other ab work.

starting strength coach development program
    3x5x450 leg press sled
    3x5x55 Dumbell OHP
    3x5x55 Dumbell lunges
    3x5x100 Dumbell deadlifts

Made sure I went really deep on the sled

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast