starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old man training for strength after recomp.

Default Old man training for strength after recomp.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Long story short. 43 Yo old male. 6'2". Was 265 and weak. Spent over a year recomping on a 5 day training with one of the compounds at 3x6 each day plus a lot of supplementary and HIIT. Now 195lbs, easily added 30 lbs of muscle. Down to 10% bodyfat (I know, but I was fat, remember?). Been bouncing now between 11 and 15% as I clean bulk and cut. Will I ever be a massive powerlifter? No. Am I following the program? No. Will I be a healthy 40 and 50 while I slowly add strength? Yes. I'm good with that. I'm ok with whatever weight I end up at, as long as my body fat stays under control. I'm very clear on my goals. I'll never be fat again and I will continue to get stronger.

Started SS Linear a couple of months ago knowing a few of the lifts I'd start failing pretty early as I had already been doing them for a while. Also, I'm not eating enough to keep linearly progressing forever. Again, I understand that and I'm fine with it.

Current 5 rep and other maxes. I lift in kilos so the weird poundages are the conversions.
    DL: 5x322 2x362
    Squat: 3x5x252
    OP: 3x5x130
    Bench: 3x5x203

Welcome to these parts, not-so-old-man. FYI Rip just started selling a book for lifters over 40 - presale. I ordered one. The Barbell Prescription | The Aasgaard Company.

Progress a bit today. I'll post weight in KG cause converting them is a pita.

Squat 3x5x114. Last rep on each set was a real grind. Maybe 5 seconds to get out of the hole up. Ugh.
    Press 3x5x59. I've been stuck here for a while, I de-loaded last week and was happy I hit all 15. Nice!
    Snatch: 5x3x30. I took 5 kilos off this week to really work on my form as I'm new to this movement. I was concentrating on the acceleration right when the bar crossed/hit my hips. Tried to really keep it close to my chest and not take my nose off. Was moderately pleased with the form. I'll got back to 35 kilos next session.

I gave the power clean one more try. My issue is I have VERY long lower arms. I'm flexible enough (I'm a tennis player) to do the stretches in the book. I just can't rack the clean "cleanly". My arms are so long I'm racking into my collar bone and throat. If I grip very wide my front delts don't present far enough to handle heavy loads. I REALLY tried today. I mean really. I've just concluded I'm one of those individuals that needs to snatch.

I'm kinda bummed out about it because I always looked forward to getting strong enough to do the Olympic lifts one day. Isn't going to happen with the clean.

As far as the book, I'll buy it as soon as it comes out on kindle. I have SS and the programming book and they are priceless.

Supp exercises and stretching/rolling my quads and hams today. No serious training.

Pulled an ab last night while playing tennis. Decided to go light today and try and work through it.
    Squat 3x5x98
    Bench 3x5x78
    RDL 3x8x62
    Chins: Bodyweight 3x8

I aggravated the ab pretty badly on the back arch when benching. I'm hoping at this point its just an ab. Hurts like a bitch. The scary part is the sorest part is right above my belly button between two abs.. I have a slight hernia there. It's the hernia (forgot the name) that a lot of people have.. It's never hurt till now.

Did some stretching and sup stuff today. Stretched out my abs. They feel better. Should be good for squats, OP and deads tomorrow.

Edit: Also I watched a ton of vids on what guys with long forearms can do to learn to rack safely on their delts. I settled on setting up a 70 kilo bar on the pins and getting under it into a delt rack with the pins supporting it. Then using my legs to slowly push it off the pins while the natural stretch happened. Then I back up and just held it and hung out for a few minutes. Re-racked on the pins and repeated the process.

This wasn't painful at all surprisingly and with that much weight it racked on my delts nearly correctly. Its not pretty but it's stable. I could front squat like this easily enough.

My plan is to do this for a month or two every supp day (Tuesday and Thursday) until its second nature. At that point I'm going to go back and work on the upper part of the rack during the cleaning motion. Again, It's going to have to be heavy to get my forearms to slide past the outsides of my biceps with my elbows toed in. There is some serious triceps stretching occurring. I'm thinking I'll gain some more exterior rotation flexability by doing this stretch and the racking motion will be easier.

A newbie guy was watching me today rack on my delts and was asking what I was doing. I showed him in 5 minutes how to power clean. The little shit had perfect arm proportions and was able to get the correct rack on the 3rd half pull from his hips. I hate people like him.
    Last edited by wmilas; 12-08-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Squat 3x4x116kg
    OP 5,4,4 60kg
    Deads 5 146kg

Felt pretty good. Should of loaded more weight on the deads. I went for 144 to 146. Oh well. I had a single after at 170kg just for giggles. I'll increase next session.

Squat 3x4x116
    Bench 3x5x92
    RDL 3x8x62
    Chins 3x8xBodyweight

So After grinding those squats I'm burnt. Could I have done 3x5? Maybe. but... Jesus. My squats suck so hard compared to my DL. Damn long legs. I'm going to do my first reset on squats. I'm resetting down to 106 and then progressing from there 2kg a time per the novice programming recommendation. I'm still linearly progressing on the rest, Although I'm guessing OP's are going to have to be handled this way next.
    Last edited by wmilas; 12-12-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Stretching, rolling today with some ab and calf work. Did a little back and top delt work just horsing around on my off day.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 3x5x106
    Press 1x5x60 2x4x60
    Power snatch 5x3x30

Snatch form was good. Going to 35kg next session. Have a cold and really sapped the energy for the Presses. I'm not resetting yet. I think I'll get it next session. Also going stop all assistance exercises tuesday/thursday... even the horsing around ones. Will do stretches and rolling only, with some light HIIT on the rower. Will also do abzzzz and calves since I don't feel those anyways and I like blowing off steam. Abzzz on Tuesday calves on Thursday. I'm going to can everything else for now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast