starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's SS Novice LP Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2/24/17

BW: 207 lbs. - Weighed prior to workout

Squat: 305x3x5 (lbs/sets/reps)

Belt and knee sleeves. My knees were feeling a little creakier than usual today. I was a catcher for most of my baseball career, so that's been a thing for a while. Last work set actually felt easier than the first.

Press: 120x3x5

Belt on again. Good rhythm on these. No shoulder pain.

Chins: 6, 5, 4

General notes:

Community Center. It was 74 F. In Ohio. In February. Went to the gym in shorts and a tee shirt.

As I'm typing this one day later it is currently motherf-ing snowing.

2/27/17 - Monday

Height: 5' 10"
    Program: Advanced Novice

BW: 210.5 lbs.

Squat: 310x5x3 (lbs x reps x sets) - Up until this point I have used sets x reps, because that is how I have always done it and that is how it is read: "Three-hundred ten pounds for three sets of five (reps)." However, after reading this thread and seeing that the majority of those logging here use reps x sets, I shall begrudgingly conform to the norm.

Belt and knee sleeves. Felt really good tonight. Could have done a couple more reps on the last set.

Bench: 180x5x3

Finally got 180 for 3 sets. I widened my grip considerably tonight to where my little finger was about an inch inside the knurl mark. I had been keeping it fairly narrow without being a close-grip to protect my shoulder. Still need to experiment more to find the sweet spot. 182.5 or 185 on Friday will be a game time decision.

DL: 375x5 - Raw PR for 5 reps

Mixed grip on work set, no belt. Warm-up sets hooked until last warm up at 315. I know I've pulled heavier singles of 405 and above, but I'm pretty sure I've never pulled this much for reps without using straps. Never logged workouts previously, so going by memory.

General notes: Felt really good tonight, but his workout takes a long time. Thought I might be a little gassed for the deadlift, but was not.

3/1/17 - Wednesday - Light Squat

BW: 212 lbs. - Weighed post-workout, forgot to weigh in

Light Squat: 250x5x3 - 80% of Monday

Beltless w/ knee sleeves.

Press: 122.5x5x3

Belt. Left shoulder was feeling a little tweaked (medical term) tonight, but no pain in actual presses. Continues to plod along at 2.5 lbs. a workout. All up smooth, no grinders, no drama. #barpathcues

Chins: 6, 5, 4

General notes: True light day that shows up in the middle of every other week. Good for recovery.

2017 Progress:

Since I started logging in the app (which has some nice charts and graphs) on 12/31/16 (~60 days), minimum one set completed:

Bodyweight: 195 --> 212 +17 lbs
    Squat: 240 --> 310 +70 lbs - one reset due to travel
    Press: 85 --> 122.5 +37.5 lbs - still weak, but progressing
    Bench: 135 --> 180 +45 lbs - sort of embarrassing, but progressing
    Deadlift: 295 --> 375 +80 lbs - when will 10 lb jumps stop being sustainable?
    Power Clean: 115 --> 160 +45 lbs - technique limited - working on it

LP really started in earnest in Dec. 2016, but the app data conveniently aligns to YTD 2017 progress.
    Last edited by Dave_M; 03-02-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Corrected date

3/3/17 - Friday

Both the wife and I left work later than planned and elected to move this scheduled workout to Saturday. Next week the plan will be for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday as there will be a conflict on Mondays for several weeks.

3/4/17 - Saturday

BW: 208 lbs.

Squat: 315x5x3

Belt and knee sleeves. 3 plates milestone achieved. Felt really good on these, maybe 2 reps left in the tank in final set.

Bench: 185x5x2, 185x4, then Reactive (blue) Slingshot 135x15

AC joint was barking today, but elected to go up by 5 lbs. Last rep went up painfully slow on first two sets and did not make it past the sticking point on rep 5 of the last set. Purchased a Reactive Slingshot (blue) as a potential aid to help with my bench while keeping my shoulder intact, threw 135 on the bar and tried it out to see how it felt and rep'ed out 15. Much pump. Felt amazing for my shoulder. I'm planning on programming the Slingshot at some point in the future in an intermediate program or on days when my shoulder is really feeling like crap.

PC: 160x3x5

Some of these were ugly, but they racked. Going to the DL and PC clinic with SSC Niki Sims later this month in Nashville. I feel pretty good about my DL, but my PC is garbage. 32 mm bar does not help.

General notes:

LA Fitness. Any bro-cred gained from a 3-plate squat below parallel vanishes when I hit the bench.

Default Bad training session

3/7/17 - Tuesday

BW: 211 lbs. - Weighed post-workout

Squat: 320x5x3

Belt & knee sleeves. Not my best 3 sets, not my worst. Could have called it a day after these.

Press: 125x4x2, 125x1

Belt. Knew going in 3 sets of 5 across were probably not happening, but tried anyway. Unloaded to 95x5 to get some more work at a relatively pain-free weight.

Chins: 5, 4, 4

Did some 30s dead hangs after each set to stretch things out, felt good.

General notes:

Tonight sucked. Everything felt heavy, not enough rest for the past 2 days, multiple aches and pains in arms and upper body. Right trap in particular has been tight and knotted for the past 2 days, was hoping the press warm-up might loosen it up, but did not. Turning my head too quickly sends a bolt of pain up and down my neck. Worked it with a lacrosse ball after and started an anti-inflammatory. Haven't taken one since November and try to avoid if I can. Feels better today, though not 100%.

Hey Dave, just checking in. Sucks to see you're having some hang ups with your training. Hopefully you can recover and keep progressing. Rooting for you! You've made some solid gains so far. Make sure you eat liberally to optimize the recovery : )

Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    Hey Dave, just checking in. Sucks to see you're having some hang ups with your training. Hopefully you can recover and keep progressing. Rooting for you! You've made some solid gains so far. Make sure you eat liberally to optimize the recovery : )
    Thanks man! I have to accept that upper body movements are going to be slow going until I get my shoulder repaired. Sleeping enough is my biggest problem. Not enough hours in the day.

3/9/17 - Thursday - Light Squat

BW: 207.5 lbs. - Up and down here

Light Squat: 255x5x3 - 80% of Tuesday

Beltless w/ knee sleeves.

Bench: 185x4x2, Sling Shot Bench: 185x5, 195x3

Left AC joint, right trap, left biceps all sore. Think the biceps pain is referred. Managed two sets of 4 and then decided to throw the Sling Shot on for the last set. Put 10 more lbs. on with about 30 seconds rest and hit for a triple. I'll give 185x5x3 one last shot next bench workout, then reset or plan B to keep this lift moving.

DL: 385x5 - 5 rep PR

Beltless, mixed grip. 5th rep moved a little slow, but never in danger of not locking out. Right trap pain was not an issue here, was worried it might be. Hook gripped warm-ups up to 265. Mixed grip last warm-up @ 325.

3/11/17

Had to cancel this session due to some personal commitments.

3/14/17 - Tuesday

BW: 211 lbs.

Squat: 325x5x3

Belt & knee sleeves. First I have squatted heavy in a week. Took the 2 rep on the 3rd set a little too deep and lost tightness. Had to grind it up. Made the last 3 reps quite a bit more difficult.

Press: 125x5x3

Belt. Relatively easy. No pain.

Chins: 6, 5, 5

Thinking about switching these up and getting to total reps in as many sets as it takes me.

General notes: Community Center.

starting strength coach development program
    3/16/17- Thursday - Light Squat

BW: 209 lbs.

Light Squat: 260x5x3 - 80% of Tuesday

Belt & knee sleeves. Worked on form.

Bench: 185x5x2, 185x4

Motherfucker. If there was any way possible to grind out that last rep I would have.

PC: 165x3x5

I was happy with how these moved, but not how they racked. Slow into the rack position, arms felt pumped out from struggling through BP.

Notes: Took Thursday and Friday off work for my annual ritual NCAA Tournament binge. This was a mid-morning session.

I have some programming decisions to make with BP:
    - Re-set ~10% to 165
    - Increase sets that I have completed 5 reps at the prescribed weight. Next workout would be 190x5, 190x5, 185x5 (or 187.5x5, 187.5x5, 185x5 for a 2.5 lb. increase.)
    - Proceed with triples

I'm leaning toward the first option as it serves to extend LP longer. I'd like to save a taper to triples until I'm near the end of LP.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast