starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 plus

Default 50 plus

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    52 5' 11'' and 210 pounds. 3 weeks in SSP.
    Squat from 121 to 193
    Bench from 99 to 127
    Press from 88 to 100
    DL from 135 to 226

Capacity in Bench to keep moving up. Had probs with grip on DL. Have been doing farmers walks to failure after DL and seems to be improving grip. Squat form needs constant refocus. Press I hate it. Any suggestions how to improve.
    Overall love SSP after two years in the gym messing about. Haven't been this motivated since finished football a fair few years ago.
    Goals
    Keeping the weights moving forward. Turn a lot of the fat into lean muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nordie View Post
    Press I hate it. Any suggestions how to improve.
    Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, press more often. Moar = moar better. Plus, chins & dips.

On the 3 times a week, alternate A and B. Should I fit extra press in between

Quote Originally Posted by A Nordie View Post
    On the 3 times a week, alternate A and B. Should I fit extra press in between
    For the first few months, do the program as written. It's the most likely to work best for you. Get microplates to make sure you can progress linearly on the press, even if the increments are small compared to the other lifts. You can get washers with a 2" ID from McMaster Carr and tape them together to make plates 0.5lb in weight. Or buy some purty ones for mucho pesetas. Run out your LP, and after you have stalled and reset the press a few times should we look at changing things. Honestly, DTFP, eat, rest, run out your LP on all lifts, it'll only get more difficult from here. For accessory stuff, go by the book, too.

Welcome to it!

Thanks for the input all, don't think pesetas are legal tender in Belfast but wouldn't be surprised. Hope starting a log hasn't put the scud on me.
    Today's figures
    Squat 198 x 5x3
    Bench 132x 5x3
    DL All over the place went for LP at 231 x 5 x 1 2nd rep almost fell out of my hand. Backed down to 222 and struggled the remaining 4 reps. Putting it down to training after work, away on business trip yesterday and nothing on the tank. Will leave it Monday now

Today's session
    Squat 5x3 203
    Press had to deload, hate press 5x3 94. Am going to have to get over it.
    DL 1x5 226

Wouldn't SS be easy if life didn't get in the way. Missed session yesterday but felt much better for it today.
    Squat 210 5x3 , body weight, small celebration
    Bench 138 ticking along
    DL stayed at 226, last session was like 5 singles. Today got a proper 5 set when I got grip sorted. Started with normal for warm up, slipped towards top of warm up. Tried hook didn't work. Moved to over under a blasted it. Worried about stories of bicep rip with over under. Does that only happen at real heavy weight?
    Last edited by A Nordie; 02-09-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Biceps tears can happen but so can a lot of things. And it's not a given. Lots of people use a mixed grip and don't tear a biceps. Sure, there's a better chance of injury with 600 pounds than 225 but that can be said for all lifts. You can't worry about what ifs when you train. If you like you can alternate your over/under hands, either set to set or workout to workout. One is going to feel weird at first but in short order either way will be comfortable. I was forced to do this when I injured my biceps (not from deadlifting) and now I'm fine whichever hand is over or under.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Dag, nice to know the injuries aren't a for gone conclusion. Will keep the normal grip as long as I can for warm up and alternate as advised for work set

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast