Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In Squat We Trust

Default In Squat We Trust

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is a continuation of my log titled;

"50 year old lifter, at 7 weeks of Novice gains"

At 6 months into the program, a new title is overdue.

Old log;

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47986
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-14-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Personal Stats;

6 months strength training
    51 y.o.
    6'1"
    200lbs

Heaviest lifts (PR's) so far (3x5 or failed 3x5, [1x5 for deadlifts] not 1RM)
    Squat 250
    Bench 165
    Deadlift 295
    Press 110
    Power Clean 140 (ugly)
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Squat 235x5x3
    Press 110x3x3
    Power Clean 135x3x5

Squat
    Getting good depth since the reset.

Press
    I might increase again, and continue as 3x3. This was not an intended 3x3, I failed 4th and 5th reps.

Power Clean
    Trying to clean up from. Thigh height barbell seems like such a short range of motion to jump and launch the bar to my shoulders. I break rule #1 and bend my arms, pulling the bar to my waist before jumping. I did the warmups with a pause at jumping position, and stiff arm jumped to embed the movement, but when the weight gets heavy form breaks down.

Other
    I am developing a minor hemorrhoid, oh, fucking joy. very minor at this point, only gets exacerbated on lift days. Valsalva pressure I guess. Tips? Preparation H? Dammit. Ain't giving up lifting.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Squat 240x3 Fail
    Bench 0x0x0
    Deadlift 0x0x0

Squat
    Felt a little tired today, but decided to train anyway.
    Failed on the fourth rep of my first set, and decided to pack it in.
    I think I went too deep, ass to grass, and wasn't feeling that stretch/bounce out of the bottom, and didn't make it out of the hole.
    My reason for quitting was to make sure I'm not getting weaker from over training. I've done 245x5x3 before resetting after failing 250.
    Or it could be my slightly narrower stance, or lumbar position is not alllowing hamstrings to tension up and help the load up. I chalked my foot position on the floor, and it may be less than optimal. When I first tried the chalked position a few sessions ago I noticed I wanted to use a different position for every warmup weight, so, maybe consistency is not beneficial, and slight variations in stance are.
    I was also up early today on less than normal sleep.
    And it was only a half hour after a big meal, and inhaling and doing the Valsalva, with my belt squishing my full belly, may have slightly compromised it.
    Will try to pick up where I left off Tuesday.
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-17-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Just keep pluggin along man, I have my first reset tomorrow, dropping to 250 after failing at 280. You'll get past 250 no problem.

Thanks for the encouragement. And you're right, but it's hard not to be dissatisfied. I guess that helps keep us plugging along.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Squat 240x5x3
    Bench 155x5x3
    Deadlift 300x5 PR

Squat
    Some later reps went up with some grinding.

Bench
    No grinding. Slightly narrower grip.

Deadlift
    Felt good. Double overhand grip. Couldn't hold the last rep up too long, grip was going, and I set them gently down on the floor.

Post Workout
    32oz milk with 1 cup of whey protein (75 grams). 107 grams of protein total.
    Maybe too much, I don't know. Better than too little.

Other news
    I'm back in action. I think I was slightly overtrained, skipping my previous session helped.
    Maybe the weights are getting high enough that my recovery is incomplete.
    Seems from time to time I may need to skip a session.
    Almost took today off, but didn't want to lose gains.
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-20-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Squat 245x5,225x5x2
    Press 115x2,110x3,105x5
    Power Clean 135x3,3,3,2,3

Squat
    I might have been a pussy today. First set felt like Rate of Percieved Exertion of 10. Not a single rep left in the tank. Maybe I was lazy but I couldn't get my head around doing it twice more, with a certain fail at some point. Think I'm gonna drop weight again to maybe 235 and microload, because I think I'm out of my useful range.

Press
    These should microload from 105.

Power Clean
    Don't know WTF to do here, form goes to crap beyond 135 and above with no improvement. It's really low relative to my other lifts. Maybe at 51, I'm simply not explosive? Might drop weight again and clean up my form some more. Maybe I need to train high pulls or rack shrugs.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Squat 235x5x3
    Bench 160x5,155x5x2
    Deadlift 305

Squat
    I took it down to a comfortable 235lbs. Will microload from here. The previous 5lb jumps to 250 brought me into the grind zone/poor recovery zone. There's a difference between grinding out 3x5 at maximum exertion every week, and giving your body some time to catch up. This is catch up time.

Bench
    160 felt too strenuous, so I brought it to a more workable 155, and will microload from there. I think the difference is between working hard, and straining, between getting in a recovery hole or not.
    At 51 y.o. I want to continue my 3x a week programming, and not resort to old man training.

Deadlift
    Broke out the straps for this one. JasPChuff, thanks for the straps. He might mail you a pair if you ask nice, and send him some paper.
    Anyhow, they're awesome, and might have saved me from dropping 305 on my floor. I used to love alternate grip, but now I love the double overhand, and the straps let me leisurely stand around for a few more seconds with 305 hanging from me. Tried alternate grip on some warmups, but now it feels alien. I will use alternate grip again, probably next session, just for grip strength.

Overall
    I think I'm either getting a grasp on realistic weights, or I'm being a complete pussy. But I think it's realistic, and a slight deload is a necessary alternative to straining each rep of each session. There'll be time for that again later on.
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-25-2014 at 08:41 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Squat 237x5x3
    Press 105x5x3
    Power Clean 137x3x5

Squat
    No drama, worked hard, moved weights

Press
    Not much left in the tank. Will add 1.25lbs next session.

Power Clean
    a work in progress

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast