Cleans-175

Feb 12/2017 Work Set Weights
    Squat-290
    Bench-185
    Deadlift-305
    Press-110
    Cleans-185

Going to try and track individual workouts going forward

I'm a 32 year old married father of 3 girls. I work in sales and sit in a car a huge portion of my day. I've never consistently trained a program at a gym. These last two weeks are probably my longest proper training periods on a program focusing on progressive overload.

I dropped from 246-195 doing keto last year from Feb-Aug 2016 but I've put about 5% BF back on since the end of August. I've trained Crossfit fairly consistently for a year and still plan on doing it 3 days a week while working Starting Strength.
    Last edited by JT_; 02-16-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added more info

Feb 15 2017

Workout "A"
    Squats 300 - 3s x 5r (PR)
    Bench 185 - 3s x 5r (PR)
    Deadlift 315 - 1s x5r (PR)

Felt really good. Bench was a bit tough. I don't have a spotter. Deadlift was raw. My fingers started to feel weak by the fifth rep. I can't use chalk at the current gym. Soon I'll have a home gym setup though where I'll be able to improve on the training and work on a bench with safety rails. Made sure to go below parallel on the squats. Focusing on keeping the head down and driving out of the hole with focus on the lower back. Also using the Valsalva maneuver.

3 Site Caliper:
    B=Belly 33mm
    C=Chest 28mm
    T=Thigh 17mm
    Last edited by JT_; 02-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Crossfit while doing SS = not doing SS. Good luck, and take advantage of these boards and the vast wealth of knowledge around here.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into this.
    Last edited by JT_; 02-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Read ssbt3, ppst3, then the countless articles posted here about SS / training vs. exercise as well as Podcasts produced by this organization. Wish I had more time to dive into details, sorry.

Your numbers and stats are pretty similar to mine now, but I started substantially lower after a period of detraining.

Doing Crossfit while running a linear progression is not doing the program (NDTP or NDTFP among other acronyms) because 48 to 72 hr. between workouts is necessary for adequate recovery and adaptation. If you insert some WODs in there, you are messing with that process by adding additional stress and effectively lengthening the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle. Being completely sedentary between training sessions is not necessary, but if you insert hard-core conditioning work, your LP is going to stall prematurely. The program is written to maximize overall strength in a short period of time, taking full advantage of the novice effect, being able to increase weight every workout. Following the program sub-optimally will lead to sub-optimal results, although even the sub-optimal results have proven better than anything else out there. At some point, nearly everyone is NDTFP.

Your starting weights were already pretty decent, it is probably going to start feeling really heavy really quickly if you add in Crossfit. However, YMMV.

Best of luck! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Read ssbt3, ppst3, then the countless articles posted here about SS / training vs. exercise as well as Podcasts produced by this organization. Wish I had more time to dive into details, sorry.
    No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to post what you did! It's helping me learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Your numbers and stats are pretty similar to mine now, but I started substantially lower after a period of detraining.

Doing Crossfit while running a linear progression is not doing the program (NDTP or NDTFP among other acronyms) because 48 to 72 hr. between workouts is necessary for adequate recovery and adaptation. If you insert some WODs in there, you are messing with that process by adding additional stress and effectively lengthening the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle. Being completely sedentary between training sessions is not necessary, but if you insert hard-core conditioning work, your LP is going to stall prematurely. The program is written to maximize overall strength in a short period of time, taking full advantage of the novice effect, being able to increase weight every workout. Following the program sub-optimally will lead to sub-optimal results, although even the sub-optimal results have proven better than anything else out there. At some point, nearly everyone is NDTFP.

Your starting weights were already pretty decent, it is probably going to start feeling really heavy really quickly if you add in Crossfit. However, YMMV.

Best of luck! Look forward to seeing your progress!
    Thanks Dave! Your post helped a lot. I've worked hard to have a good level of conditioning and don't necessarily want to cut everything cold turkey. I'm going to do more studying on SS. I also need to find out what NDTFP is. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Crossfit while doing SS = not doing SS. Good luck, and take advantage of these boards and the vast wealth of knowledge around here.
    I could not have said it better. Get your Linear Progression in and when that is complete in 6-8 months go back and play with Cross fit. But doing them together is counter productive to strength development.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    Thanks Dave! Your post helped a lot. I've worked hard to have a good level of conditioning and don't necessarily want to cut everything cold turkey. I'm going to do more studying on SS. I also need to find out what NDTFP is. Haha
    Not Doing the Fucking Program.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast