starting strength gym
Page 17 of 84 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: My next Mid-Life Crisis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks, PD. Think I'll order it. Appreciate the info!

This isn't exactly the bar I use but it is similar: Amazon.com : Titan Fitness Safety Squat Olympic Bar : Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    This isn't exactly the bar I use but it is similar: Amazon.com : Titan Fitness Safety Squat Olympic Bar : Sports & Outdoors
    I hesitated to respond to this because it will sound like I'm knocking your equipment. That isn't my intention. But the reason that I didn't buy that bar is because the camber is in the same direction and angle as the handles. It places the weight further forward and forces you into a more upright position. Also the distance between the shoulder pads looks wider and I have read reviews that said it was wider and less comfortable. Now, having said all that, if I had it hanging on my wall and my shoulders hurt, I would definitely be using it because squatting is better than not squatting. When I hurt my back I still wanted to train my legs, so I hunted down an old soloflex rocket on Craigslist and drove 2 hours to pick it up. I did sets of 20 so I never really built much strength but it was still a lot better than not training.

My safety bar has a harness that is a few inches narrower than the one I linked to. I could not find the exact bar I use. I keep trying to get the straight bar where it belongs. I still cannot do it. I really wish to use a straight bar for the fall classic. In any event the camber is different and may indeed force a more upright position. However, I think we have accommodated for that.

Hmm. I'm a high bar guy, having worked in the mid-upper 600s when I back squatted. Is the bar you like not the one for me, PD? Would the titan bar carson links to, (I was also looking at) be better for my style? As with FSs, I'm a fairly upright squatter.

When it comes down to it, the titan bar isn't so much money that if it didn't fit my style, it wouldn't be a big pain in the pocket book.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Hmm. I'm a high bar guy, having worked in the mid-upper 600s when I back squatted. Is the bar you like not the one for me, PD? Would the titan bar carson links to, (I was also looking at) be better for my style? As with FSs, I'm a fairly upright squatter.

When it comes down to it, the titan bar isn't so much money that if it didn't fit my style, it wouldn't be a big pain in the pocket book.
    Oldster, with the weights you move I think the titan bar would not be for you. I would think the one I use would work fine I'd take a look at the camber on it and also at the Elite FTS bar. Both of those are built like tanks and get great reviews. Elite fts makes two safety squat bars, one with a curved bar and one with welded. The bar I use feels more like a high bar position, certainly not lowbar, but it doesn't throw me forward. I will say that you have to be very tight when you start reaching the edge of your ability because it is just different.

Carson I would love to be able to use a straight bar, but I can't keep fighting the shoulder pain.

YNDTP

SSB Squats. 45x10,10
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    270x5,5,5. last set was a bit of a challenge but manageable.

Then I did a metcon with my wife. Grace with 95# because I havn't done anything like that in a while. It kicked my ass. I had planned to deadlift and press but didn't have the desire after that.
    Yes, I am not doing the program. My wife likes crossfit workouts and I like her and she wanted to work out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    My wife likes crossfit workouts and I like her and she wanted to work out with me.
    Smart man!

Thanks for the bar info. I'm looking them over.

Yesterday i did some dumbbell rows and curls.

starting strength coach development program
    SSB Squats. 45x5,5
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x5,5,5

press 45x5,5
    65x5
    95x3
    115x2
    130x5,5,5

Deadlift. 135x5,5
    225x5
    275x3
    320x5
    370x1

chinups 10,9,9

10 ghd situps.
    Last edited by PizzaDad; 02-15-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Page 17 of 84 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast