starting strength gym
Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: My next Mid-Life Crisis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yesterday afternoon was spent working on the corner support sections of the deer fence. I'm on my own now since my son went home celebrate his girlfriends' birthday. I rigged something up with a clamp to help me get the cross posts situated. But each one requires me to clean and press a 10 foot post to about 7-8 feet. mark it and cut it, then lift it back up and fit it on the pins. About 3-4 hours of that yeasterday and my shoulders and upper back were screaming at me. I'm really glad that I include cleans and presses in my workouts. Some posts seem light maybe 30 lbs. some seem a heck of a lot heavier. Nothing on this damned farm ever happens fast. Persistence! That is the key. Bang on it again and again sometimes in different ways but always toward the same goal. And eventually, something breaks in your favor.

Today I am not doing the program

I am tired. Havnt worked out in a week. Back hurts. Groin was a little sketch last week and basicly I'm just being a little bitch today.
    Squat 45x5,5
    100x5
    155x3
    205x2
    225x5
    250x3,3,3,3,3

Press
    45x5,5
    65x5
    95x5
    125x3,3,3,3,3

Deadlift
    95x5
    135x3,5
    185x5
    225x5
    315x5

I worked hard and got all my 10 foot posts in and got the support wire for 3 of the 6 "corner" sections done. I will be stringing wire this weekend around 4. acres of orchard. The really awesome part will be when I have to tear down a half of it in 2 years. My body weight was down 3 lbs after the weekend and I have gotten that up some. I'm sure I got a net gain of fat I'm doing the best I can but a total of 9 lbs weight gain for 5 months of training is probably why I'm stalling out and having some injury issues.
    I'm still happy with my strength gains. I had ACL surgery 2 years and 5 days ago. I am stronger, even on a bitch day than I was then.

great work, just imagine thuogh how shittastic you would feel after all that fencing if you hadn't been doing a modified version of The Program for the past few months

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    great work, just imagine thuogh how shittastic you would feel after all that fencing if you hadn't been doing a modified version of The Program for the past few months
    I would, undoubtedly, be more of a little bitch than I am now. In all fairness, I would probably still be doing crossfit. I felt strong and fit...I carried less fat. I looked good. But my joints hurt all the time. Not just a little bit. But really bad. There were many days when I could barely stand the pain in my knees walking a couple blocks to my car from work. The volume was killing me. And my squat was going nowhere.

my joints, knees and back most especially, feel so much better doing SS than anything else.

Just here to express support because the thread title is pretty legendary. Hope the progress keeps up and the joints clean up. Thumbs up for the hard-work lifestyle, too.

I appreciate the encouragement. I was thinking about pushing the sled this morning. I am really glad I did t it's 92 degrees and we are heading to town for some supplies that are needed to continue. I'm beat. Completely beat.

squat
    255x5,5,5

I didn't have time for anything else. I had lawnmower and auto maintenance to do tonight before I could train. Tomorrow is farm work, trying to get the fence finished.

Time for a glass of whiskey and a shower.

I havnt been beer a bar in over a week.

Squat. 260x5,5,5
    Bench. 197.5. X3
    195x3
    185x3. Everything about benching felt wrong. Dropping the weight wasn't the answer. I pulled the plug and called it a day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I havnt been beer a bar in over a week
    "Believe me officer, I havnt been beer a bar. I'm not as think as you drunk I am!"

I've had some of those weird unpredictable weak bench days recently as well. It's one of the reasons I prefer to prioritize the press; that seems to be a more reliable progression (albeit with smaller steps).

Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast