starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Korbyn’s Novice Linear Progression

Default Korbyn’s Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is the beginning of my Starting Strength linear progression.

My Background: I am 23 years old, 6ft tall, 215 pounds, and 16.7% body fat according to Calculator.net. I am married and I don’t drink. I enjoy eating healthy and I have been practicing intermittent fasting for the last 2 years with about 90% adherence. Since starting this program I have been eating whenever I’m hungry, because I want to get stronger!

I have enjoyed exercising since I was about 14 years old. I have tried P90X and Insanity programs and gained some strength from doing those programs. However, I was always limited by my home gym with the heaviest weight being 50lb dumbbells.

This is the first time in my life where I will be consistently performing barbell lifts and lifting over 100 lbs so I am expecting to make good progress in overall strength during this program. I have a medium-build and over the years I have seen that I tend to develop my lower body faster than my upper body.

My motivation to start Barbell training was through Alan Thrall’s YouTube Channel. Even after discovering his YouTube it was still nearly a year before I really starting studying the Starting Strength program. I haven’t read the book yet, but I plan to purchase it in the near future.

About 1 month ago I decided to start Alan Thrall’s “Best Program Ever Created,” which is the title of the YouTube video explaining this program. It seemed reasonable and simple with some variety in place so I decided to start this program.

I followed this program for about 3 weeks before switching to the Starting Strength Linear progression (mainly because of videos where people had negative views on 5x5 programs for Novice’s, being that there is too much volume, I guess that was enough for me to switch to SS, and the fact that I knew there would be much more support and information available while doing SS.)

In those 3 weeks I increased:

My squat: from 50kg to 60kg (5x5)

My deadlift: from 55kg to 60kg (5x5)

My press: from 27kg to 30kg (4x10)

My bench: from 55kg to 60kg (5x5)

At the beginning of Week 3 I got sick and missed 2/3 workout days for that week. In that time I decided to switch to SS. For logging purposes I will begin SS at Week 1. I am following SSNLP from this point forward.

Week 1:

December 28th 2017

Workout A1:

Squat: 65kg

Press: 35kg

Deadlift: 65kg

Notes: feels a little challenging, form feels good through the last sets.

December 29th 2017 (no rest day, feeling good, wanted to workout.)

Workout B:

Squat: 70kg

Bench press: 65kg

Deadlift: 70kg

Notes: Bench press was more challenging on this weight jump. I rested for a few minutes between each set for bench press, rather than 2 minutes or less.

Impressions so far: I’m enjoying this program, I can already tell a difference in my lower body, back, and shoulders. My wife is happy too. Haha. Obviously my numbers are going up and that’s exciting. I wish I had access to small plates so that my jumps are 5 pounds instead of 10 but I don’t have that option with my current gym, open to suggestions. If I’m doing 10 pound jumps should I maybe do the same weight for two workouts and then make a jump again?

Welcome. I'm glad you found SS. I'm wondering why you haven't purchased the book already? In your last paragraph you switched from writing about kgs and switched to lbs. You aren't making 10 kg jumps are you? I'm surprised that a gym does not have 5 lb plates or 2 1/2 lb for that matter. Do you have access to a store that might sell these smaller plates as used and therefore less costly?

I currently live in the Philippines. I’ve been lucky enough to find a gym with a proper squat rack and barbells. Their plates are on Kg but they have some smaller plates in pounds, for example 5 pound plates. So I’ve been making 10 pound jumps with the 5 pound plates. It’s confusing but it’s what I have right now.

My wife and I are moving to the US in a couple months so I didn’t want to buy the book here because we already have a lot of things to pack and take home to the US. I’ll probably order the book on Amazon and have it ready for me when I arrive in the US. I could download the e-book, but I’m old fashioned. Lol. Same thing with buying smaller plates.

I have watched hours worth of videos regarding proper form, technique but obviously that nots a replacement for reading the book and getting coached.

January 1st 2018

Workout A2

Squat: 75kg

Press: 40kg

Deadlift: 75kg

Notes: Squat felt good. I’m at the point where I’m taking a little more rest between sets. At first I had maybe 1 minute rests and now I definitely need 2-3 minutes. Press felt good. Bar speed is slowing on the 4-5 rep. Definitely need a 2-3 minutes rest between sets. Deadlift felt really good. I can tell my back is getting stronger. I only got 4 hours of sleep because of the new year but this workout felt surprisingly good.
    I’ve been taking an average of about 3 grams of Creatine a day for 3 weeks. Maybe this is why the workout get good even though I was feeling pretty tired in general. This is my first time taking Creatine.

Are you in the military? If so, thanks for your service. In any event welcome to the US.

I understand the limitations the lack of smaller plates present. Keep up the good work. I wish we had a SS coach in many more places of the world but we are growing. I hope you find a coach near your US destination.

I’m not in the military. I am currently a Baptist missionary in the Philippines. I’ve lived here for about a year.

We will be moving to Michigan. Detroit and Lansing are about an hour’s reach for me so I’m guessing I could find a coach there.

I am a member of Greysteel in Farmington, Mi just outside (NW) of Detroit. Dr. Sullivan is the coach and owner. There is also a coach in Lansing. Both coaches work together in various endeavors. If you get back by February you can register for a camp led by both Dr. Sullivan and Chris Kurisko which will be held at Greysteel gym on Feb. 3. Register and join us and help me celebrate my 71st birthday.

I will be returning on March 1st so I won’t be able to attend. Happy Birthday. By the way, How much is it for the camp?

January 3rd 2018

Workout A2

Squat: 80kg

Bench: 70kg

Deadlift: 80kg

Notes: Squat felt good. Bench press felt good. Getting tough. Bar speed very slow on 4-5 reps. Deadlift felt really good. When performing the Valsalva maneuver there is enough pressure to the point that I dont like having water in my stomach. I think I may drink a liter of water before going to the gym and drink very little while exercising. I’m enjoying seeing my numbers go up as well as my strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Other camps will follow. Perhaps you can make that one. You can register online. Cost $150.
    On another matter: I'm a clergyman of the retired status. I was also a college instructor. Of what religion are you a missionary.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast