starting strength gym
Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: My next Mid-Life Crisis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    Even 2.5# a week would be more than I would have thought possible over a period of months before I started an SS LP!

Yes it would. and today I would have taken it gladly.
    I had no gas at all. started to squat. at 225 x 2 warm up I could tell it wasn't there. did 2 @245, 2@265, dropped back down 225 and did one set of 5.
    bench press, I worked up to 185 and it felt like a mountain. I came inside and had dinner. I'll get back at it in two days

Just an observation. I'm old(ish). I needed to train hard enough to reach a point where my slower recovery became a problem for me to really grasp that. My body still hasn't recovered from the lunge walks I did 5 days ago. It definitely reminds me of what I didn't like about crossfit. Being sore all the damned time. I have always been able to just push the age envelope back and tough it out. Take the attitude that "I'm a badass and you aren't, that's why I can do things you can't". I wasn't enough of a dick to say that to people but it's what went on in my head.
    Well, I'm not a badass anymore. The heat kicks my ass now. And it takes days to recover. Volume tears me down and it takes much longer to recover than it did just a few years ago. I need to start programming accordingly.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I need to start eating lots of steroids accordingly.

Default Juice much?

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    edit:
    I'm actually going to get my T levels checked. I don't think anything is off really, but I'm tired as hell lately. I just want to get a baseline and also check other things with my blood so I know if I have any kind of deficit in any of my readings.

Ya, my thought on this is that if you are past the point where fertility is a concern for you, if it doesn't violate anywhere you would compete, and if you can afford adequate medical advice for it, why wouldn't all guys TRT to the top end of normal?

Not an expert, and not considering for myself for another decade at least, but there's my hot take.

I actually expect my T levels to be good. I suspect that my nutrient levels or insulin may be skewed. Maybe nothing is off and I'm just not managing my training and diet correctly.

Anyway, I pulled the sled on Sunday. 4x 100 meters up a steep gravel road. I would push it instead, but the large gravel is not smooth enough. The front skid digs right in and stops me within a few feat each time. I have 2x 25 lb plates and a logging chain on the sled. It doesn't look impressive, but it still busted my ass. I rested today. I intend to squat tomorrow. I will also be adding some kind of intense conditioning element to the workouts. I have added a total of 10 lbs and I have a pronounced gut, and my pants don't fit. I even bought larger pants and they don't fit well either. So it's time to cut down .

How did you or will you go about getting a blood test for these things? Did you go through a doctor or go straight to a lab?

I was looking around my city. We have a few of those "men's welness" type that advertise on the radio. But I asked a few friends. One guy I know used to be a big lifter. Very strong. Tore a bicep doing reverse grip barbell rows several years ago and never really got back into his lifting routine.i met him in aikido and ended up hiring him for a tech position at my previous job. I knew from conversations that he had been going thru low energy issues and had changed dr's several times his previous dr prescribed testosterone and when it did not resolve all of his issues. His last conversation with the doc gave him the impression that the doc didn't believe him and just thought he was trying to score some steroids and the doc had given them to him. So he went elsewhere. Last time I saw him he was leaner and very fit and working out again. He found a family practice doc who is a big believer in nutrients and takes a holistic approach. Doesn't just look for one thing. Bottom line is he had thyroid issues with was addressed first. Then diet and nutrient levels. He was deficient in d3. Once they got that worked out they looked at his T levels. He has been on trt for 6 months. Happy ,heathy, energy returned. So I'm going to tak to that dr. If I don't get a warm fuzzy I will seek an endocrinologist.
    I would go to my regular doc but his practice has grown like crazy and I havnt seen the same person there for 3 years.

1 August 2017

Squat 45 x5,5
    105x5
    160x3
    220x2
    275x5,5,5. Form went bad on last rep of first set but I got it

Bench 45x5,5
    85x5
    125x3
    165x2
    200x5,5,4....> Hard fail on rep 5. Spotter arms saved my ass. It was actually funny trying. To wiggle my fat ass out from under the bar.

Deadlift 145x5,5
    190x5
    240x3
    290x2
    340x 5

Chins. Chest to bar 8,8,8

30 burpees.

I have been dinkin' around 275 squat for months. Finally got that damned weight and didn't end up pulling anything or bro-repping it. My form is still abysmal but I got it.

starting strength coach development program
    congrats!

Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast