• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started over the summer, but fell off the wagon after 10/7/2023
    Starting again today.
    Height: 6'-5"
    Weight: 300 lbs.

Initial lifts (June 2023):
    Squat :115#x3setsx5reps (please correct the notation)
    Press:70#x3x5
    Bench: 95#x3x5
    Deadlift:205#x1x5
    Personal Best:

Squat :265#x3setsx5reps
    Press:110#x3x5
    Bench: 160#x3x5
    Deadlift:245#x1x5 ( kept hurting my back, so didn't train much on the deadlift)
    Last edited by AbbaZev; 02-04-2024 at 11:27 AM.

Today's workout 2/4/2024
    Squat: 215#×3×5
    Press: 95#×3×5

Welcome (back)! Please keep us posted on your progress. In my limited experience, these logs encourage others in their journey, even if they don't comment. More importantly, they provide a significant accountability impact for those of us who do post. The more you post, the better help you get from both of these impacts.

It's good that you're getting back at it! We all have our pauses for whatever reason. The key is to resume as soon as possible.

And since you asked, the standard notation around here is that the number of reps is always second. So, for your Squat, it would be 115x5x3 in the style that you wrote it. Others go with 3x5 @ 115, but regardless, reps are second in the sequence. If it's only one set (e.g., deadlifts), you can drop the number of sets since that's understood (e.g., 245x5, where the reps are still second in the sequence).

BTW, you'll want to fix your deadlift very soon. If it's hurting your back, you aren't setting your back in extension. Post a video over in the Technique forum (after you've read the "Required Reading"). Having said that, your target for when you finish your NLP will be that your deadlift is 50-100lbs higher than your squat, which is only possible if you start with your deadlift higher than your squat. Otherwise, you'll stall both quickly, which is an avoidable situation.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    It's good that you're getting back at it! We all have our pauses for whatever reason. The key is to resume as soon as possible.

And since you asked, the standard notation around here is that the number of reps is always second. So, for your Squat, it would be 115x5x3 in the style that you wrote it. Others go with 3x5 @ 115, but regardless, reps are second in the sequence. If it's only one set (e.g., deadlifts), you can drop the number of sets since that's understood (e.g., 245x5, where the reps are still second in the sequence).

BTW, you'll want to fix your deadlift very soon. If it's hurting your back, you aren't setting your back in extension. Post a video over in the Technique forum (after you've read the "Required Reading"). Having said that, your target for when you finish your NLP will be that your deadlift is 50-100lbs higher than your squat, which is only possible if you start with your deadlift higher than your squat. Otherwise, you'll stall both quickly, which is an avoidable situation.

Keep at it!
    I'm going to testify to Bill's advice, which he gives everyone, to get your deadlift in front of your squat by a significant margin. Doing that has enabled incredible (for an old, tired guy) gains in my squat over a short period.

And just so you know that it's not just some bro blathering about numbers, here's the rationale behind getting your deadlift well ahead of your squat:

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Pt 1 - Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1: Perception vs Reality | Robert Santana

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Pt 2 - Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 2: The Arms | Robert Santana & Mark Rippetoe

Read the forum threads on each, too. There's a lot of good additional info there.

Another thing to consider is squat depth. Often when a new lifter has a squat ahead of his/her deadlift like you do, the squats are not below parallel. No matter how good they feel. That's another post for the technique forum, because if that's the case, you'll want to get it fixed sooner rather than later when it's getting heavy.

Thank you. I'll post form checks when I get a chance

The advice given already is excellent and probably correct for both the Deads and Squats. Getting an extended very firm back for the deadlift is essential. That really is the main reason for an aching back. Never let your back round. Imagine it's a board. I'm 77 and have never had a soar back from deadlifting. Sully doesn't allow it. Having a coach is very helpful. We pray for Israel daily.

2/6/2024:
    Had to split my workout into a morning and afternoon session because of my schedule.
    AM Deadlift: 235#×5
    PM bench press: 135#×5, 135#×4, 135#×3, 135#×3
    PM squat: 225#×5×3

Back feels pretty good

starting strength coach development program
    2/9/2024:

to tired to do math in the morning I only did 240 on the deadlift because I miscalculated the plates:
    squat: 230#×5×3
    press: 100#×5x3
    Deadlift: 240#×5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast