starting strength gym
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 6000 calories @ 6ft 6

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW:
    112.4kg

Maybe my BW is stabilising for the time being. Since my exams have ended, I've been very sedentary -> basically just spending most of my time eating food and sleeping, so my TDEE is probably very low which is also contributing to my big increase in bodyweight.
    I start my summer job next Tuesday where I'll be a lot more active so I'll start binging on the junkfood next week.

Never logged yesterday

BW:
    113.8kg

Looks like my BW isn't stabilising. I gave in and had a decent McDonald's on Thursday, although I didn't feel too bloated afterwards or the morning after. I'm considering getting a new weighing scale as mine is a good 15 years old (if not a lot older).

Weight(kg) x Sets x Reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    55 x 1 x 3
    70 x 1 x 3
    87.5 x 1 x 2
    ***102.5 x 3 x 5*** PR

Form notes -> felt easy. I think I may have picked up an injury, however. My mid back is pretty sore, especially when I isolate thoracic flexion. I thought initially that it was due to thoracic flexion during the squat but I'm pretty sure it's a neck injury as the pain is exacerbated when I look down. The amount of thoracic flexion in my squat has been greatly reduced so hopefully that's not the reason for the injury. Hopefully it's just a minor tweak.

Press:
    20 x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    36 x 1 x 3
    43.5 x 1 x 2
    51 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt easy. I added an extra 2 reps to my 3rd warm up set.

Single arm dumbbell rows:
    17.5 x 1 x 5
    25 x 1 x 4
    30 x 1 x 3
    37.5 x 1 x 2
    45 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt easy

I'm praying my injury resolves itself soon

BW:
    114.1kg

BW:
    113.0kg

Weight(kg) x Sets x Reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 3
    72.5 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    ***105 x 3 x 5*** PR

Form notes -> felt good. The bar went past the middle of my foot on rep 4 of set 3 which ended up sapping a good amount of my energy. I ended up overcompensating for rep 5 of set 3 so the bar went slightly behind my mid foot which also was not efficient so the last 2 reps were a lot slower than they should have been. Other than that, it was a good squatting session.

Bench press:
    20 x 1 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 3
    62.5 x 1 x 3
    73.5 x 1 x 2
    86 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt easy. My usual spotter wasnt there for my first set so I had to ask a random guy to spot me for the first set. He was even worse than the 3 other guys from my last benching session, which is a pretty damning indictment considering how bad those guys were. My spotter arrived for set 2 and 3 which flew up really comfortably.

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    80 x 1 x 3
    97.5 x 1 x 3
    112.5 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> my technique was good for my first 4 reps. I somehow messed up my cueing for my last rep which resulted in me not fully squeezing my chest up. I have a video and it felt a lot worse than it looked. The reps were a little bit harder than I anticipated. However, this is my first time deadlifting 130kg since late February (which is depressing) so I don't have much complaints

Chins:
    BW x 1 x 8
    BW x 2 x 7

Form notes -> the last reps of each set were a struggle. I was aiming for 9 for my first set which I was disappointed not to get. At least I added an extra half rep at a higher bodyweight compared to Friday.

Injury update:
    My neck and back hurt pretty bad yesterday, especially when looking down. It felt a lot better this morning, but still uncomfortable throughout the day. After squatting, my neck pain went away. I'll try to limit any extension or flexion of my neck over the next week.
    Last edited by SS2016; 06-05-2017 at 09:53 AM.

BW:
    114.6kg

My neck and mid back pain is back, but isn't too bad. It's probably because I slept with 2 pillows last night. I'll try how I react to 1 pillow tonight and will try not to strain my neck for the rest of the day.

BW:
    114.8kg

I got a terrible night's sleep. I went to bed at 11:30pm, fell asleep at about 2am, woke up at around 4:30am (accidentally) and got out of bed at 7am. For the last few weeks I've been getting up anywhere between 9.30am and noon so I'm changing my sleep pattern due to starting my job. I also started training today at around 2pm when I usually train at 8.30/9pm

Weight(kg) x Sets x Reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    60 x 1 x 3
    77.5 x 1 x 3
    92.5 x 1 x 2
    ***107.5 x 3 x 5*** PR

Form notes -> felt good. The first 3 reps of every set are usually very easy with a pretty short pause between reps. This was repeated today. However, reps 4 and 5 of each set were a bit slower than usual. I'm putting this down to lack of sleep and training at an unusual time. Also, on my fifth rep of my first set, the bar went past my mid foot due to lack of concentration. My depth is also inconsistent - sometimes I hit perfect depth with a good bounce out of the hole, other times I go too deep, lose lumbar extension and make the rep a lot harder for myself.

OHP:
    20 x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    37.5 x 1 x 3
    45 x 1 x 2
    52.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt good. I need to stop hyperextending my neck on some reps. The reps in general were a little slower than I expected (probably due to lack of sleep and fatigue from squats) but still felt pretty good. For some reason, my last set was my easiest set which has never happened before for OHP (last set is always the toughest, 2nd set is the easiest).

Single arm dumbbell rows:
    17.5 x 1 x 5
    25 x 1 x 4
    30 x 1 x 3
    40 x 1 x 2
    47.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt good. Am still only taking 4 min rest in between sets. The gym got new 60kg dumbbells so I'll be sticking with this exercise for the time being.

Injury update:
    Neck pain is effectively gone. I'll be sleeping with one pillow from now on, will try to keep my neck still and use squats as a form of therapy.

I've been busy and just never got around to logging.

2 days ago
    BW:
    114.5kg

Yesterday
    BW:
    113.1kg

Again, forgot to do this yesterday.

4 Week Progress
    BW: 104.4kg -> 113.1kg (+8.7kg)
    HBBS: 75kg -> 107.5kg (+32.5kg)
    Bench Press: 77.5kg -> 86kg (+8.5kg)
    Deadlift: 100kg -> 130kg (+30kg)
    Press: 42.5kg -> 52.5kg (+10kg)
    Single arm dumbbell rows: 40kg -> 47.5kg (+7.5kg)
    Last edited by SS2016; 06-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    BW:
    115.8kg

I had a pizza yesterday evening so I assume this bloated me up and drastically increased my BW. I looked pregnant for most of the day.

Also, my sleep hasnt been great since starting my job. Also, I spend between 2-3hrs commuting each day to work which is pretty fatiguing. I should adapt to both these new stresses over the next week to 10 days. I'll start eating a bit more to compensate. If my BW gets above 118kg by next week, I'll start following Jordan's TBAB macros and start weighing out my food again.

Weight (kg) x Sets x Reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    60 x 1 x 3
    75 x 1 x 3
    92.5 x 1 x 2
    ***110 x 3 x 5*** PR

Form notes -> felt good. On rep 2 of set 1, I lost upper back tightness and it rounded when I went into the hole. The last reps of each set were a bit slower than I expected, but the first 3 reps of each set flew up. I'm putting this down to tiredness.

Bench press:
    20 x 1 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 3
    62.5 x 1 x 3
    75 x 1 x 2
    ***87.5 x 3 x 5*** PR

Form notes -> felt very easy. My first bench PR since February (I hit 86kg x 3 x 5 back in April but never got up to 87.5kg). I thought I'd get a bigger mental kick out of hitting a new PR but I think that the fact the weight was ridiculously easy makes me want to hit bigger numbers right now. Of course, I'll continue to microload and not get ahead of myself. My usual spotter wasnt there so I had to ask a random guy to spot me for the first set. He said he had only spotted one person before so my hopes for this set pretty much plummeted. I made my instructions very clear and he perfectly executed them - he lifted the bar out of the rack fine, didnt interfere with the set, didnt stick his head over my head so there was no eye contact between us etc. It is actually depressing how simple this is and I'm shocked someone did it correctly. I asked another guy for a spot after the first guy left the gym and he was fine. The only mistake was that he stuck his head over my head so we made awkward eye contact. In terms of the actual lifting, it was the easiest benching session I've done so far with the shortest amount of rest time (6 mins between set 1 and 2, 5 mins 30 secs between set 2 and 3). Only issue was that there was this weird clicking in my right shoulder on the concentric portion of the lift on some reps but didn't cause any pain. I might not have been retracting my scapulae as hard on those reps.

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    82.5 x 1 x 3
    100 x 1 x 3
    115 x 1 x 2
    132.5 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> my technique was pretty much perfect for reps 1, 2, 3 and 5. I stupidly messed up my cueing like my last deadlifting session so I didn't squeeze up enough on rep 4. The weight felt easy though so I'm pretty happy, considering I was tired, training late, had an ok amount of food, this was the heaviest I've lifted in months and just hit PRs on squats and bench.

Chins:
    BW x 2 x 8
    BW x 1 x 6
    BW x 1 x 2

Form notes -> I tried to get 9 for my first set but only got 8 (but it felt easier than last time). I probably rushed my rest between set 2 and 3 as my forearms and biceps were feeling pretty pumped/swole (lol) for the first time ever by the time I started my last set. I rested for about a minute before banging out my last 2 reps.
    Last edited by SS2016; 06-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast