starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the tips, cgeorg; I'll try to get the hands in closer on Wednesday.

Knowing where depth is at is probably something I need a good coach for. I'm used to going as low as possible, and anything higher makes me feel guiltier than sin.

Nope, not home in time for the pullups. Just did some Pavel-style OAP (2x5 each arm) trying to get a handle on bracing better so that I can apply that to my squats. Some handstand walking today as well.

Alright, alright, alright! Things are starting to feel heavier. Up until now, it's just felt like practice, but now I can tell there's something on my back. Actually felt a little heavier than it should have this morning. I missed Wednesday due to car trouble/work duties, so I went ahead and pressed again instead of bench. Everything a little harder than it should have been, but no trouble getting the required reps in.

Bodyweight up to 190# (+5#). When I can't work out as much, I try to throw my enthusiasm into the eating!

Sqwit
    290 5 reps x 3 (+5#) "Proud chest" cue was a focus today and trying to not go so deep (maybe bad habit from ATG front squats)

Priss
    160 5 reps x 3 (+5#) Pressing again was a good choice. Felt much less shaky than 155 on Monday.

Didlift
    315 5 reps (+15#, switching to +5# hereafter)

--

3x10 wide grip pullups. Couldn't go chest to bar b/c a stupid pipe above the pullup bar. How are "fitness centres" such poor gyms? You have to try hard to design this poorly.
    4x10 strict toes to bar.

I've inquired at every gym in town that might have bumpers and allow chalk. My current CF gym doesn't have sufficient open gym hours; and that might be true of all the rest of them as well. Sneaking liquid chalk into the township gym for now; we'll see how long that lasts.

Upped rest period to 210s for work sets. Haha, feels so long for fat CrossFatter!
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-08-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Did day 'A' for a third time/second day in a row. I know, DTP, but I won't get back in the gym until Monday, and I was feeling pretty good. Did 'A' again because needed to get done quick and felt like I could press 5x3 at 5 more pounds faster than I could get in the 295# benching I was planning. Plus, this keeps my squat just ahead of my bench.

Skweets
    295 5reps x 3 (+5#) - All reps went up easy, the only problem I had was stance a bit too narrow on second set, felt some hip impingement. Focus on "getting one's ass up".

Press
    165 5reps x 3 (+5#) - The reps that I took in enough breath for were easy. I can see how a belt would help here; will order soon. Focus on setting hands angled in as seen in the Art of Manliness video with Coach Reep.

Deadlift
    320 5reps (+5#) - Sticking with the 5# since back was the only place I could feel fatigue the last couple weeks. Warmed up with a few clean and jerk and snatches at 135#.

--

Tonight I'll go do a couple pullup sets on the rings and close the Captains of Crush #2 at least 5x per hand. Started reading PPST3 a couple nights ago, maybe this will help me alter programming to know when to do or not do this accessory stuff, but fortunately this early in the LP everything is going just fine. Disappointed that Olympic lifts aren't fitting in to regular training for a few different reasons, but as long as I can find a way back to that in some way by the end of the summer I'm pretty happy with just getting strong.

Variable:drank so much whiskey: Buffalo Trace and 12 yr scotch something, slightly peaty, not Islay though. We'll see how this affect linear progression on Monday. Getting plenty of milk in me as well. Typing is harder than usual, but more fun. Was still able to ride a bike.

So not a very restful weekend (not because of the whiskey-fueled post above), was up much of the night with allergies last night.

Skwates
    300 5reps x 3 -- first set was the most difficult just because everything initially felt too heavy today. I feel like I'm still good for a couple more weeks of 5# jumps.

Bentsch
    280 5reps x 3 -- Only second time benching for SS LP

Didntlift
    325 4reps -- not feeling great. Maybe just bc of the lack of sleep, maybe I need to belt up, maybe I should rest more before the workset, maybe I take off my weightlifting shoes! Will repeat Wed.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-12-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Evening Session:
    CoC #1 for 15 consecutive reps per hand (always start with left, then match with right)
    CoC #2 for 2 alternating reps per hand, didn't quite close the 2nd rep on left - I'm going to see if I can get away with some minimal MWF work on these

2 sets of 10-15 tits to rings pullups.
    2x30sec handstand holds.

You are still getting stronger. A day or two of good rest and you should be feeling great again.

Squt
    305 x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- felt much easier than 300 on Monday. Still no belt, local "fitness" supply stores have no suitable belts

Priss
    170 x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- even less shaking, learning to brace better carries over to everything. Also felt like I got more out of stretch reflex than previously.

Didinfactlift
    325 x 5reps (+1 rep) -- nailed the set I missed by 1 rep on Monday; back felt flatter, that may have been the main problem. If I miss again I'll start microloading. Fractional plates should arrive within 4 weeks.

Funny story: I bought a couple 2.5# plates for $5, tried to drill them out to produce 1.25# plates-- not a good idea with a hand drill, even a Rigid! Worth $50 to get a complete set of fractionals.

starting strength coach development program
    Evening session

CoC #1 5 reps per hand alternating
    CoC #2 3 reps per hand alternating - I think the frequent deadlifting or stimulus from squats is quickly improving my grip!

10 reps x 3 sets tits-to-ring pullups, first 5 with false grip on each set

some playing around with handstands

I weigh almost 10# more than the 185# I was at 2 weeks ago. I pretty much hate eating right now, and that's from a guy who loves to eat. I'm hoping it's easier if I follow Jordan Feigenbaum's advice to separate meals by 3 - 5 hours (or something like that?) in order to get the most of a protein dose high enough to initiate protein synthesis. My rough estimate is that I've been around 6000cals a day and at least 200g protein, but more than a third of the cals and up to half the protein has been between meals. I literally have a new york strip in my fridge that I do not want to eat--what have I become?

PPST3 insight of the night: you don't need to do 5 reps for all your warm-up sets. I don't know why I started doing that.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast