starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post

PPST3 insight of the night: you don't need to do 5 reps for all your warm-up sets. I don't know why I started doing that.
    I usually do 5 reps with 135 for squats, deadlifts and squats, but usually just doubles and singles beyond that. -just checking how everything feels and making sure there's not too significant of a jump in weight so that it feels unexpectedly heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    Squt
    305 x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- felt much easier than 300 on Monday. Still no belt, local "fitness" supply stores have no suitable belts

Priss
    170 x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- even less shaking, learning to brace better carries over to everything. Also felt like I got more out of stretch reflex than previously.

Didinfactlift
    325 x 5reps (+1 rep) -- nailed the set I missed by 1 rep on Monday; back felt flatter, that may have been the main problem. If I miss again I'll start microloading. Fractional plates should arrive within 4 weeks.

Funny story: I bought a couple 2.5# plates for $5, tried to drill them out to produce 1.25# plates-- not a good idea with a hand drill, even a Rigid! Worth $50 to get a complete set of fractionals.
    170 press is huge.

Thanks, Cider-dad. I purposefully deviated somewhat from the program a couple times to get extra practice on press since my bench was already too big for my squat. I imagine my proportions (shoulders the width of a small truck for a small guy like me) will always mean my upper-body lifts are more impressive, plus I've been dickin around with handstands and stuff for 20 years now.

Friday, May 16, 6:00am - 7:30 --
    Squeets
    310 x 5reps x 3 -- I thought about a 10# jump to 315, but I was only going to do it if everything in warmups felt perfect. I felt good, but not quite perfect, and arithmetic over a summer's-worth of LP being what it is, I stuck with +5#. I'm finding that I widen my stance more as the weight goes up, so I probably need to just go a bit wider right from the start. Will video as soon as my training partners can work out the logistics to get back to training with me.

Banch Priss
    285 x 5,6,6 -- First set felt so damn sloppy that I did 6 for the last two sets to convince myself I still have some 5# jumps left in me. As you can see in the video of my last set below, I've developed a problem with a slow right side. I just haven't practiced this movement enough in the last 12 years, basically where I was at weight-wise when I was 17!

Didleft
    335 x 5reps -- Again, playing mind games. To convince myself that Monday's miss at 325# was a fluke, I jumped 10# to get to where I would have been if I hadn't missed. Went up easier than any set in the last two weeks. Maybe another week or two before I alternate with weighted chins.

I'm doing 240sec rests before all worksets now, which gives me time to do a few light oly lifts in between. Right now I'm sticking with 95#, which is the smallest weight I can properly front rack, and it doesn't seem to interfere with worksets at all. Once I'm not deadlifting every day, I'll start to move that up slowly, but I'll avoid any heavy Oly until I'm ready to put in light/medium days (it's medium days, right?) in the advanced novice phase.

Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Evenin' Sesh
    Rings to bottom of ribs pullups -- 12, 10, 9

CoC #2 3reps per hand alternating, then 2 more after about 30 seconds. #2.5 in the next couple months?
    CoC #1 a bunch

Macros
    721C / 221F / 338P

Decided to track a day of eating more closely. Over 6000 calories was about what I had estimated. The protein was higher than my estimate because I had only been tracking the mostly protein things in my head, not all the incidental protein that MyFitnessPal app added up. I doubled up on the fruit and veggie protein shake this morning, but I may not continue that since it makes it hard to eat any breakfast after my morning session. Lots of energy on this diet, but felt a wee bit of heartburn for the first time today after two weeks at about this rate.

That's set of bench was nice. Way to crunch that last extra rep.

After finishing PPST3 last night, my biggest take-away was that I have wasted a lot of random volume training over the years (even before CrossFat). The first great insight of SS is that a fairly low volume, high intensity (heavy fives) linear progression can last a lot longer and be a lot more efficient way to build strength that goes far beyond even your above-average gym-bro strength. But beyond that, it seems to me that even those who legitimately require an intermediate program are making them too complex and too high volume to efficiently build strength. When I do run out the LP, I'll probably try the Olympic weightlifting HLM or Texas Method detailed.

This morning felt pretty shitty due to another night of sleep interrupted by allergies and an unavoidable late night, but thanks to lots of good eating and a couple good nights of rest before that, the prescribed weights did not actually feel especially heavy. Hands felt beat up on deads, stretching into full depth on squats felt more creaky, everything moved kind of slow, but no workset reps were ever in danger of stopping.

BW: 196#

Squatties
    315# x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- almost jumped straight to 320 out of superstition.

Presh
    175# x 5reps x 3 (+5#) -- Wasn't getting as much out of the hip rock, may have compensated with a little more lean-back

Didleft
    345# x 5reps (+10#) -- Still feeling pretty great. As usual when I don't sleep well, hook grip beats up the hands, dropped hook for the last 2 reps

Yester' Eve':

CoC #2 - 5 per hand, some partial + negative
    3 x 10 tits to rings

Forearms felt more blasted than usual. Will drop pullups and CoC on deadlift days if it starts to affect weight I can handle. I'm pretty sure it had more to do with sleep the night before. The other thing affecting recovery is my 20k per day bike commute; that hasn't seemed to prevent 5# jumps so far, if it does, I'll have to adjust somehow--probably just quit my job and go for gainzzz 24/7.

Now get back to eating and drinking milk, folks!
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.

My experience with bike commuting is that, so long as we aren't talking San Francisco type hills, is that your boast adjusts to it pretty quickly. I've been doing regular 8-10 mile round trip commutes for a quite awhile. Granted, I take a fairly casual pace with the exception of crossing intersections. It's no more strenuous than going for a stroll. I have one steep hill on the way home and I have come to use it as an evaluation method for the state of leg recovery.

BW: 198#, most of the gainz are to my ass

Sukwats
    320# 5reps x 3 -- vid of last set below. Feeling awkward as hell, I think because my leverages are changing after gaining 13# in the last few weeks; makes form a moving target. Depth feels really high; do you think pausing at the bottom would help me get depth? Obv need to straighten those wrists out a bit and keep stretching further into that LB position.

Bentsch Press
    290# 5reps x 3 -- felt better than 285# last week. Moved slow, but kept bar much more level

Didlift
    355# 5reps -- hook x 4; double OH on last rep. App suggests I start alternating with pullups now, will start that next Wednesday.

--

1 set of 13 tits to rings at home
    CoC #2 - 5 reps per had alternating. last 3 on LH partials plus slow negative.

starting strength coach development program
    Does not look right. Will review all the Rip-squat vids before Fryday's sesh.

"If you drop your elbows [and bend wrists] when coming up out of a squat, that is almost always associated with thoracic flexion." -Rip
    Nailed it, coach. Seems my bar (lower) and elbow positioning (higher and closer) are what I need to fix first.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast