starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Saturday 2/24

Bench singles up to 335. 2-0-2-0-2. With my wife calling out the commands. Stopped because of lower back strain.

Deadlift- all that heavy bench messing up my deadlift. Failed to break 445 off the ground.

Squat- damn, my body is feeling torn up. Back and arms felt terrible on warmups up to 315. My legs felt undertrained though, so I jumped on the leg press and did 35 reps at 315# in 3 minutes.

Then that night up with chills and fever. Caused by the training or affecting the training? Probably a bit of both. Will be a little more careful next week to not over-overtrain, especially on the bench.

Well, things been crazy at work, so prep hasn't been ideal. Overall volume a little low, but more 95% intensity and a lot of paused bench. Ended the bench prep 8 days out with some fun tng singles. My amusingly long setup:

Worked up to heavy singles again Monday morning and Tuesday night to determine openers. Based on effort and technical errors I saw, I'm going to round down to nearest 2.5kg on squat and deadlift, and shave off a little more on bench. The bench should not have been that hard, but you can see that I press too far forward, get stuck, then start pressing back halfway through the lift. Would probably get reds for downward motion. On a positive note, I think all those paused singles over the last two weeks have made me pretty solid at the bottom of my bench. Deadlift 455 went up smooth, but I had a big callus tear at top. Squat effort wasn't too bad, but my damn knee slide makes depth hard to judge--that could bite me Saturday.

Impressive lifts. Can't wait to see what you do in the contest.

Default Meat Rapport

Ok, so it's been a while. Things are busy. I'm still training, doing two lifts a day, sets of 6, top sets and back offs to save time. Seems to be working so far, and I'm out of the gym in 45 minutes.

Meet results from ... 3 weeks ago:

Weighed in just over 210#, well below the USAPL weight class of 231#, maybe I'll get there one day! Until then, I'll continue to eat chips and drink chocolate milk while I wait to weigh-in, hilarious to do so right in front of the skinny bastards trying to set state records by looking like pre-pubescent swimmers.

Squats

451.9 479.5 501.6F

First two attempts felt really easy, 2nd was 5#PR and surprisingly easy. Felt like I should have had that 500#, hard to say what went wrong, maybe over-psyched-up on ammonia and whatnot. Took me several seconds to get the squat command because of soft knees, was able to fix it each time, but obviously something I'm not doing to comp standard in training.

Bench
    347.2 363.8 380.3F

Okay, on this one I kinda know what went wrong on third attempt, pulled my back as I often do while looking for bench PRs and almost pushed through it anyway, not sure how to fix it, but hoping that training with more bench volume will help strengthen whatever the weak link is in there. Lots of pause practice paid off though since judging was even stricter than I imagined. As a result 2nd wasn't an absolute PR, but certainly a PR to anything close to that standard!

Deadlift
    451.9 479.5 -501.6

Yep, same numbers as squat. PR on the 2nd felt great, 3rd attempt only got maybe three inches off the ground then I held on for a few more seconds as my pinkie calluses ripped off--- certainly did not feel like I was strong enough for it yet, nor did I really expect to get this one. Next time!

Total
    1322.8#

Wilks

All in all a real good time--meet went a bit long when the software crashed, but this is Idaho, so there was no rioting. It would be fun to head over to Washington for a Strengthlifting meet for my next one, but I may just do a smaller USAPL meet in Boise again to save time. I should at least do it before I pass the 100kg BW mark -- my most anticipated PR yet, then I shall be a man.

starting strength coach development program
    So I'm closing out my thread here with one last meat rapport.

My first post and the start of my LP was almost exactly a year before my most recent meet on 5/26/2018.

I weighed into my second USAPL meet just under 215# after a nice big breakfast -- maybe one day I'll fill out the 105kg weight class, sure as heck not going to bother sweating to 93kg since those state records are set by Jessie Norris. BTW, Jessie was at the meet, but I won...lul

Squats:

474# . 485#F . 501.6#

Felt a little too conservative, but I really just wanted to get set up for that first 500# squat. I got one red on depth on my first, otherwise I was thinking of making 500 my second. 2 reds on depth on my second, but I still felt all right, took an extra deep snort of ammonia and buried my third at 500#-- three whites and hoping to start there at my next meet in a few months.

Bench:

375# . 402 . 413F

I had just touch and go pressed 400 a week or two before for the first time and this 400 paused felt easier than that. Despite my feelings, 5kg was too big of a jump for the third but close enough that I have my eye on the state record 200kg within a year. (I know; we're a small state; don't move here, please.)

Dead:

452# . 485F . 501.6F

That one was frustrating. All attempts locked out without a terrible effort. Second got called on hitching even though it felt like I did basically a straight leg DL, and third got called on downward movement right at the top when my thumb tape ripped.

-------------

Despite the deadlift problems, the big boys didn't show up, so I won the overall.
    1356# total
    378 wilks

Thus concludes a year of mostly SS-style training. I've learned a lot, I'm probably deviating a fair bit from what SS would recommend at the intermediateish level (lot of high-volume at the 70% range like BM, but without all the crazy Feigenvariations) , but I doubt I would ever recommend anything but an SSLP for anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Thanks for everything, SS and forum-lurkers! Stay laid back (on your presses) and sexy (by GOing MAD)!
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 07-04-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516