starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deludeddrummer SS log (advice appreciated):

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't think you understand the principle of either lift. Squat you are too high on the 245 lifts and way way too high on the 285.
    Deadlift: You butt is way too low and your head is way too high.

You do need to see a coach.

I second that a coach would be good; I understand that is hard depending on where you're at; I'll probably do a month or two with SS online once I get the tripod I just ordered.

Absent that, just go lower by going lower; I highly doubt that flexibility is the issue. I don't think a tiny bit of butt wink is the worst thing in the world (video by Juggernaut coach Mobility Myths with Dr. Quinn | Butt Wink | JTSstrength.com - YouTube), it's probably better than high squats with more weight than you can do with good form.

Thanks for the input guys!

I was really trying to avoid hiring a coach (for financial reasons), but I'd rather spend the money than hurt myself further.

I don't think a tiny bit of butt wink is the worst thing in the world (video by Juggernaut coach Mobility Myths with Dr. Quinn | Butt Wink | JTSstrength.com - YouTube), it's probably better than high squats with more weight than you can do with good form.
    I think you're absolutely right. I did some lighter sets today and recorded them. When I made sure my hamstrings were engaged, the little butt wink didn't take my spine past neutral (except once I think). I'll post the vids when I can.

BW: 208.9 lbs +6 lbs from two days ago. I was either really dehydrated or my scale is wonky.

06/16/17:
    LB Squat:
    2x5x245 lb
    1x5x255 lb
    1x5x265 lb

Press:
    3x5x115 lb

Deadlift:
    3x5x135 lb

Rom. Deadlift:
    3x25x85 lb

Notes: Went for depth with squats today. Definitely learning a lot from watching videos of myself lifting. I really shot myself in the foot by not doing this from the beginning. Back injury is burning, from deadlifts and romanian deadlifts. I've been able to recover my back pretty well in between workouts, but I still need a longer break from lifting for it to fully heal.
    Last edited by deludeddrummer; 06-16-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: wrong rep #

Default Working squat depth

This is 225. Trying to fix my depth. Looks parallel to me.

Here's 245. Unfortunately someone opened the door behind me and then my phone died. This is the best I've got for today.

The rest of the sets felt similar, but I can't be sure I was hitting depth w/out video.

Depth at 225 looks okay, work up from there, 5 pounds at a time. Hard to tell from the front, but you may be lacking hip drive. Look down, check grip, bent wrists are not optimal.

Hey Chris,

I don't think that's the deepest I can go, honestly. So today I might start at a lower weight, like 135. Record myself at the lowest depth I can go physically. Then incrementally increase the weight until I find a point where I can't reach the same depth without rounding my lower back. Then that'll be my new starting point. Pretty pissed I wasted a month of training doing high squats. I'm going to record every set I do from now on, until I'm 100% positive that I have the form in muscle memory.

About a week ago I made my grip a little narrower (~1/2 inch). That might be why. I'll see if I can keep them vertical. Might have to go back to my original width though.

06/19/17:

LB Squat:
    2x6x135 lb
    1x5x155 lb
    2x5x185 lb
    1x5x195 lb
    1x5x205 lb

Bench Press:
    1x4x185 lb 5th rep failed
    3x5x175 lb

Deadlift:
    1x5x135 lb
    3x5x155 lb

Notes: Recorded every set today. Won't post the videos, I'll post periodically further into the progression. I got below parallel, but honestly none were significantly lower than the 225 or 245 sets. I'll probably follow chris's advice, start at 225 lbs +5 each day and keep the belt off while I progress (as long as my back feels good).

I played with the grip trying to keep wrists straight. It worked sometimes.

Deadlift looks better. I followed the SS steps and found a good starting position that looks correct. I'll keep at it. Not going to increase the weight too much until I get back from vacation.

06/21/17:

LB Squat:
    Warmup: 45|135|155|185
    1x5x225 lb
    2x5x235 lb

Press:
    2x5x105 lb
    1x4x105 lb Couldn't get that last rep up

Deadlift:
    1x5x185 lb
    1x5x215 lb

Notes: Squats were controlled and looked good. Was able to keep my wrist pretty straight by putting the bar a little higher. Putting the bar higher also helped me keep my back from moving towards horizontal at the bottom of the squat. My head's still wacky and I tend to bend it back rather than keep it neutral.

I rolled presses back to video them and make sure I wasn't doing standing benchpress or some other weird shit.

Deadlift was pretty solid. I bumped the weight up because I realized why I was screwing it up earlier. My shoe flares out at the back and I was measuring the middle from there (so smart), so it was too close to my shins. I either had to move my hips lower, round my back or put my shoulders in front of the bar to get into position. Finally feels like it did when I first started.

Default Supppppa in-depth squat check

starting strength coach development program
    Finally got my friend to send me the video of the 245 and 265 sets from my 6/16 session. The comparison isn't perfect, since the perspective isn't parallel with my feet. The depth seems good, but I need to keep my back higher.

Not to blame it all on the shoes, but I'm thinking lifting shoes would be a good investment. The angled soles are helping me in some ways and hurting me in others. If you took the shoes away when I'm in this position it would shift my COM back and I would have to lower my torso to stay balanced. However, I know my wrists are bent during these sets which means my bar is low. If I straightened my wrists bringing the bar up that would probably even out. The shoes are pushing force forward and through my knees when I hit the bottom of my squat. In almost every set you can see my shin muscles and toes flexing to oppose it. Flat shoes would help keep all the force vertical. The force coming forward could be another reason my back is lower than it could be.

Need to break the habit of craning my neck backwards. Depth wasn't great overall. Three hit depth, two were ~1 inch high and the other was ~3 inches high. Torso was consistently low for all.

245 lbs

Heads not in a neutral position, but it's not that bad. Depth was actually WAY better than the 245. I hit all 5 reps to depth though the last was a little slow coming out of the bottom. Torso angle was a little worse than 245.

265 lbs

???????
    Being the smart guy I am, I had these two images mixed up the entire time I was analyzing them. I just assumed I should be struggling more with 265 than 245. Maybe I was just more focused \_('-')_/

TL;DR: I spent a lot of time analyzing my squat form and it's not awesome, but not terrible

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast