starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Deludeddrummer SS log (advice appreciated):

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Whoops! Previous post was my session on Monday 07/17/17.

BW: 214.2 lbs -1.4 lbs

Wednesday 07/19/17:
    LB Squat:
    2x6x45 lb
    1x7x95 lb
    1x6x135 lb
    1x6x185 lb
    3x5x225 lb
    Press:
    2x5x115 lb
    1x4x115 lb
    1x3x115 lb
    Kroc Rows:
    1x6x75 lb Per hand for all
    1x6x85 lb
    1x5x90 lb

Notes:
    Squats: Grip was great today. I was able to stay tight for the entirety of each set. Lumbar flexion was fixed; thanks to adding the valsalva maneuver and/or just staying tighter. Felt heavy though. Should be eating more.

Press: Finally made it to 115 lbs! Though I did fail the 3rd set

Kroc Rows: Deadlifts were a bad idea. Too many deadlifts on Monday. So I just did some kroc rows.

Default Wowaweewa

I'm an idiot! This is kinda embarrassing, but I'll say it anyways. While I was loading the BP today, I realized I did the plate math wrong for BP on Monday. I was lifting 200 lbs not 190... I don't know what was wrong with me Monday, but clearly something was off. I guess that explains why I was stalling...

So the real lift was:
    BP 07/17/17:
    2x3x200 lb
    1x3x195 lb
    2x5x185 lb
    1x2x185 lb

Friday 07/21/17:
    LB Squat:
    *Warmup Sets*
    1x6x235 lb
    1x5x235 lb
    1x6x235 lb
    1x4x245 lb I did another set to celebrate Friday
    Bench Press: Back on the LP after my
    3x5x195 lb
    Deadlift:
    1x2x195 lb
    1x2x245 lb
    1x3x285 lb
    1x5x295 lb

Notes:
    Have some more videos for critique. I'll be posting them whenever I get around to uploading them.

Squats: I tried a lot of suggestions that people put on my technique thread. The valsalva technique and shooting my knees out a faster. Moving the knees faster definitely helped with my back angle and the valsalva definitely helps me brace better and keep my lumbar static.

BP: 195 was a lot lighter than 190 was on Monday. Go figure....

Deadlifts: Did a few sets of increasing weight to find out where my backs at right now. 295 was doable, but I don't think I can do it every other day. I think I'm in between phase 1 & 2. For the next 2 weeks I'm going to do deadlifts Mon. and Fri. and PCs on Wed. After that, I'll start the ABA/BAB rotation. Form was alright, definitely not perfect. I don't think I'm angling my feet out enough. I'll try again come Monday.

Default Goals

Haven't put goals down for my SS program, so I'll post those now. Some might change due to form corrections I have to make and rugby starting up again. Here are my current goals for 1 month and 3 months:
    1 Month:
    Deadlift: 325x5 lbs
    LB Squat: 305x5 lbs
    Bench Press: 225x5 lbs
    Press: 155x5 lbs
    Power Clean: 175x3 lbs

3 Months:
    Deadlift: 385x5 lbs
    LB Squat: 365x5 lbs
    Bench Press: 250x5 lbs
    Press: 185x5 lbs
    Power Clean: 205x3 lbs

Wednesday 07/19/17:
    LB Squat:
    2x6x45 lb
    1x6x135 lb
    1x5x185 lb
    1x4x225 lb
    1x6x235 lb Did an extra rep on accident
    2x5x245 lb +1 Did an extra rep on accident
    Press:
    2x5x120 lb
    1x4x120 lb Failed last rep
    Deadlift:
    1x1x305 lb x2
    1x2x285 lb
    1x4x285 lb

Notes:
    Squat: Felt pretty good today. I still notice a little lumbar movement during the 1st set of 245. I was more focused on my grip and didn't brace hard enough. The other sets look pretty good. Though there are 1 or two other reps with some lumbar movement.

Press: Did 120! Know it's not that impressive, but I haven't worked shoulders really since my AC joint injury. It feels good to have a little strength back in them. The pain from the injury is entirely gone too. I can still reach overhead about two higher with my injured shoulder, but I think that might be permanent.

Deadlift: Was not as happy with today's deadlifts. I tried 1 reps of 305, and saw the form wasn't great. So I dropped down to 285 and it was better. I also noticed what might be a large muscle imbalance in my back. It's like a hump of muscle right above my lumbar. I think I'll start back at 245 with higher volume to hammer in technique. Then I'll do 3-4 10 lb jumps and get back on the LP.

BW: 213.8 lbs -0.4 lbs

Wednesday 08/02/17:
    LB Squat:
    *Warmup Sets*
    1x5x245 lb
    2x5x250 lb
    Press:
    1x5x120 lb
    2x4x125 lb Failed last rep on both
    Power Clean:
    2x4x115 lb
    1x3x135 lb
    2x3x155 lb
    Deadlift:
    4x5x245 lb

Notes:
    I've been feeling sick for the past few days which is why I've missed training. I was worried my sister gave me mono. And I'm still not sure she didn't. My whole family is kinda in danger of getting it. The incubation period is around 4-6 weeks. That means she had it in Europe and we were all sharing drinks. Sooooo fingers crossed...

What program are you running exactly? I've noticed some days you are doing sets across and others you seem to be ramping them. Are you attempting to run a by-the-book Starting Strength Novice LP or something else?

Also, 5 sets of power cleans followed by 4 sets of deadlifts is a lot of pulling volume at that relative intensity for one day.

Hey Dave,

The short answer is that I'm trying to transition back into the LP after some form work. But I'm still shaky with squat and deadlift form. The press and PC ramping were one-time things.

-The press sets were a mistake with my log. After the first set, I realized I was supposed to be doing 125, not 120.

-With the squats, I deloaded to get the form down. I've been adding a little weight when it felt too easy. My base work sets are still following the LP though. So tomorrow, I'm doing 250 even though I did 250 for the last two sets yesterday. I didn't see any harm in it, but I could be wrong. If I am, let me know. I probably won't do it anymore anyway, since I'm reaching the fringe of my comfort zone.

-For ramping in the PCs, I was just getting a feel for where I should start my work sets. I'll probably start at 125-135. 155 was starting to get difficult.

As for the PC and DL volume; I did a lot of deadlifts to get the technique down. Since I dropped 30 lbs from where I'm comfortable w/ deadlifts and didn't push myself too hard on the PCs, I didn't think it was a big deal. I feel fine, but maybe it was too much. I guess I'll have my answer when I try lifting tomorrow

I got into work late today and I have a deadline approaching. Going to have to skip today's workout. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow instead, but my gym closes at noon on Saturdays. Dave was probably right about the amount of volume. My hamstrings are pretty sore (could just be the PCs, since I'm not used to them) and I haven't been eating enough to account for the extra volume. If I do something like that again, I'll probably do 225 for the DLs instead.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you read Practical Programming? If not, it is worth the purchase. Novice programming and modifications are laid out in much greater detail than SS:BBT.

Sets across is going to be a more potent training stimulus than ramped. The volume is the same but the average intensity and tonnage are greater which gives you a more effective training effect. Ramped is good for managing fatigue at higher volume and when time is a factor down the road, but not yet. For a novice 3x5 for sets across has proven to be the most effective dose. More is too much. Less is too little.

I know you are not going to approach it that way anymore, but lets take the example from your press, because it illustrates the point looking solely at programming outside of any other considerations. My press (and most of my other lifts) is admittedly shit right now, but I feel like I have a fairly good handle on novice-level programming, so please take this as friendly advise and not criticism.:

On 7/14:

1x5x100 lb
    1x5x105 lb
    1x5x110 lb

Volume: 15
    Peak Intensity: 110
    Average Intensity: 105
    Tonnage: 1575

You missed the next attempted 3x5 with 115, only getting 4 on the last set. Then you took the 5lb. jump anyway and missed with 120 in a similar manner, then missed with 125. If you fail to make a given weight for the prescribed sets and reps, do not go up. You will get stuck that way.

100, 105, 110 might be enough to take you to 105, 110, 115 the next workout, but maybe not 3x5 of 115.

3x5x110 would have been:

Volume: 15
    Peak Intensity: 110
    Average Intensity: 110
    Tonnage: 1650

Not huge at these weights, but heavier weights or bigger jumps between ramped sets will magnify the difference in average intensity and tonnage.

Something also tells me from some of your log entries you might be doing too many reps on your warm-ups. This might be helpful: How To Properly Warm Up - YouTube

Hope this makes some sense and helps you out!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast