starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walsh Brother 2

Default 6/30/17

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Out of town on vacation, so I was in a globogym tonight. Met someone who saw me squat and knew I was doing SS from my form. I guess that is a good thing! Is it just me, or are more people squatting these days?

Squat: 360 for a 3x5
    Bench: 220 for a 3x5
    Power cleans: 165 for a 5x3

Squat was fine, after I got into the squat rack. I love my equipment, especially my bar. No knurling can throw my mind out of whack. It was alright, but I was worried it was going to slip. Just kept my back real tight.

Bench seemed to move pretty easy. I focused on driving my feet through the floor, and also rotating my elbows inward. I seemed to get a better drive when I did this. Also, holding my breath is a great thing during the bench.

Power cleans were easy.

Now, off to vacation and eating my weight in fresh seafood.

That's some darn good strength already.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    That's some darn good strength already.
    Thanks PizzaDad! Mark's program seems to have another test subject that strengthens his hypothesis. Do you have a log on here?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    TM is hard. What is your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    There are 6,432,729 intermediate options out there other than 3 day TM as written in PPST3
    Agilic, are you running an intermediate program right now that's giving you good results?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool-breeze View Post
    Thanks PizzaDad! Mark's program seems to have another test subject that strengthens his hypothesis. Do you have a log on here?
    Yes I keep tabs on my training, but I'm my numbers are significantly lower than yours. The idea of a 360 lb squat is almost comical to me.

Default 7/5/17

Tough workout in Bar Harbor. Still on vacation and don't want to lose these gainzzz. I went to the Mt. Desert Island YMCA this morning, and had a heck of a time trying to get my lifts in.

Time for some whining, so scroll down if you don't want to read my drivel.

I have become accustomed to a particular regimen for my training. I squat, I press, I do deadlift/power clean.

1, 2, 3.

Every time.

This has worked for me ever since I started the program, so I have seen no good reason to change it. I naively dreamed that I would be the only one at the Y at 6:00am EST. Wouldn't that be nice? They would probably have a coffee ready for me as well. "How are you Mr. Walsh? Looking strong today!" Because in my dream they would obviously know my surname. I would begin and finish my training in the exact order I have prescribed myself since the beginning. Squat, Press, Deadlift. 1, 2, 3. I would linearly progress for another session, and get out in time to get some coffee before the other morning tourists clutter the streets. "Have a great day, Mr. Walsh!"

Reality hits when I get to the free weights. Ten some-odd individuals on the gym floor. Not enough people to make you turn around and walk out, but enough to get in the way the entire time. First, anyone is more than welcome to do any lift/excercise in the squat rack that they feel inclined to do. But, because of MY inclinations, I am resolved to wait until the person decides they've done enough empty barbell bent over rows. Then set the bar on the ground. In the squat rack. Rather than wait liked a puppy dog by the ONLY squat rack in the gym. I get the idea that I will just do my workout in reverse. This was great until I started warming up. Second, if you want to lift on the platform, go ahead, but don't curl and walk around the room like you need directions. The big mirrors are so you can remember what you look like, and for you to stare at yourself IN PLACE while you picture yourself getting as big as Arnold. Deadlift was miserable. People walking in between me and the bar, walking in front of me while I was lifting. Press consisted of me trying to find an empty place on the floor so I could clean the weight up to my shoulders before lifting. Then I just ran out of gas. No chinups. We've been hiking pretty vigorously for the past couple of days, and I'm sure that's playing a part. Needless to say, poopy workout all around.

Deadlift: 420 for a 1x3
    Squat: 365 for a 3x5
    Press: 145 for a 2x4 and a 1x3

Back in my garage gym on Saturday, woo hoo.

Default 7/8/17

Great workout back in the garage today. Hit all the lifts!

Squat: 370x5,5,5
    Bench: 225x5,5,5
    Power clean: 175x3,3,3,3,3

Had some ankle inflammation during my trip and when I got back, but squatting cures a myriad is maladies.

Default 7/10/17

Squat: 375x5,5,5
    Press: 150x3(too wide grip),5,6(punishment)
    Deadlift: 420x0
    Deadlift 2nd attempt: 420x0

Tough workout tonight. Worked out late, so I had already eaten dinner when we started. I tend to have a harder time when I do this, but I hate to eat after 10.

Squat went well. I will post the video of my 3rd set for a form check sometime soon.

Press got off to a shaky start, but I narrowed my grip and the rest were normal difficulty.

Deadlift was crap. Warming up, 365 for 2 felt super light, but I couldn't get 420 more than 6in off the ground.
    I think placing these last leaves me feeling gassed for my attempts, and deadlift has always been hard for me.

No time for chins.

Well, better to be in the gym than sitting on your butt. Good night.

Default 7/13/17

starting strength coach development program
    Workout went well tonight. Well rested, and ate a bunch.

Squat: 380x5,5,5
    Bench: 230x5,5,5
    Power clean: 180x3,3,3,3,3

Bench has always been very weak for me. Trying to gain more control, but it is not easy. Watched an Alan Thrall video recently where the one and only Austin Baraki programmed a 4x/week bench progression. Maybe when I run out this LP I'll see what that mess is all about...
    Last edited by Cool-breeze; 07-13-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Math is hard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast