starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miles' Log - SSLP, Texas.

Default Miles' Log - SSLP, Texas.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys and gals,

So, I debated with myself for a while about whether or not to put up a training log on the site considering I'm keeping a handwritten log as well. Ultimately, I figured that I may need direct help/support from the online community, and it's much easier to be taken seriously and get honest help if there's evidence of effort. So, here I am.

Some background (included in my other thread, but dropped here for continuity/posterity):

Height: 5'8"
    Starting Weight: 142.2 (AM)

Specific Goal(s):

- 160lbs bodyweight
    - 260lbs bench
    - 135lbs OHP
    - 335lbs Deadlift
    - 275lbs Squat

For a novice (especially at my dimensions/anthropometry) those goals are lofty. However, with the exception of the OHP, those numbers only represent 5lb increases from my lifetime best lifts. Wait, not true. Deadlift would be 10lb PR. I've also never weighed over 149lbs. So, we've got some targets. It needs to be mentioned that I, like many others I'm sure, have been perpetually guilty of 'program hopping' because I've been youthful and impatient as all hell. The grass was always greener on the other side of the gym where the 'jacked dudes' were doing something different than me. Now, though, I'm too old to believe that nonsense. I just want progress. I just want to be strong.

Yesterday was day 1 and food looked like this (aggregated instead of split out into meals):
    - 1/2 Gallon whole milk
    - 8oz coffee
    - 4.5 oz steak
    - 2 handfuls spinach
    - 1 serving medjool dates
    - 1 cup oatmeal (I don't care what anyone says, 1 cup is a lot of damn oatmeal)
    - 1 serving raw pumpkin seeds
    - Leftover Poke from a place near my house (Rice, tuna, onions, macadamia nuts, etc. Don't know the macros or how to find it but I wasn't going to waste this; it's delicious).
    - 1 serving cashews
    - One scoop casein protein powder
    - 5oz pork
    - 2 servings broccoli
    - 2 servings mint chocolate chip ice cream

Day 1 Training Session (with notes):

1. Squats: 3 x 5 @ 175. (I video'ed set #2 and I thought I had some low back rounding. I was thinking about 30 different things at once. I video'ed set 3 and my back looked fine, though - ha, wait, it looked fine TO ME)
    2. Press (OHP): 3 x 5 @ 85. (These were pretty smooth. Hard enough to challenge me without failing reps)
    3. Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 185 (this was frustrating. I know I can pull a lot more than this, but I rarely have done deadlifts and squats on the same day, so my hamstrings were smoked. My form looked alright on the video I took so I decided to stop there.).
    *Flash edit - I deadlift with a double overhand/clean grip.

Final notes: I slept 7 hours the night before at took 5 grams of creatine post workout.

Hoping to stay accountable.

M.
    Last edited by RMHTexas; 06-27-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Day 1, set 2 squats:

Skwaats

Day 1, Set 1 (of 1) deadlift:

Deadlifts

I probably wont video every workout, but this is my baseline.

On Deadlift: you aren't locking out which goes along with the bent arms comment.

6/28, SSLP Day 2

AM Bodyweight: 143.4
    Sleep: 6.5 hrs

Run of the day: Squat / Bench / Deadlift

Squat: 3 x 5 @ 180 (These felt surprisingly better than I thought they would, given that I'm sore. I focused on breaking the knees and hips at the same time and bracing hard)

Bench: 3 x 5 @ 150 (This weight felt pretty appropriate. I feel like I could have gutted out a few more pounds but I felt stable and solid. Funny thing, I kept getting cramps in my hips mid-set)

- Bench Form Check Video (Facebook)

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 195 (These felt clean and fast. Remembering to keep my chin down/head neutral helped. I also switched to a flat soled shoe instead of my olympic lifters)

*Note - I tried to put these vids on youtube from my phone, but it didn't work. It cut off a pretty significant portion, so I'll go back and try to do it from home soon.

Food for the day:

- 16oz milk, chocolate syrup
    - 4oz steak, 2 handfuls spinach, 1 serving dates
    - 1 piece (about a 5th of a pie) ham, egg, cheese & potatoe quiche
    - 12 oz sugar free redbull
    - 16oz milk
    - 3oz chicken, 2oz pork (leftovers) 1 cup broccoli
    - 16oz milk
    - 5oz chicken, 1 cup kale, rum & coke (it was my anniversary)
    - 3 scoops ice cream

*creatine and multivitamin also.
    Last edited by RMHTexas; 06-29-2017 at 10:26 AM.

I couldn't find your form check on Facebook. I'm looking at your food for the day. Do you feel like you are eating enough?

So, good news and bad news.

Bad news is, as predicted, I was/am really shitty with keeping up with the online log.

Good news is I've stayed on the program and recorded everything on paper. So, I think that makes me... 1/2 of an asshat.

Anyway, just picking up from where I am, rather than where I left off -

SSLP Day 15 was yesterday.

AM Weight: 143.6
    Sleep: 6.5 Hrs
    Supps: Creatine/Multi

1. Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 235 (these felt smooth and solid. I lifted in my olympic shoes so I may have been a little forward over the bar but it was pretty OK)

2. Bench: 3 x 5 @ 160 (I must have been tired last week because 155 was rough, but 160 yesterday was pretty smooth. Had some 'arm shake' but that's always been my MO. No sticking and no failed reps.)

3. Squat: 3 x 5 @ 200 (This is the first time I've been in the 200 range for sets over 3 reps in a long time. I expected them to feel heavier than they were, but it wasn't too bad. I did notice a bit of 'offness' in my hip/knee break. I'll fix it Wednesday.)

Obviously I switched deads and squats yesterday. I did that because my last workout last week felt 'heavy' and I was a little worried that I'd get to the point of sticking this week. But, everything went off without a hitch, so I'm happy about that. One interesting thing I'm running into, now, is that I'm actually about to run out of weight plates at my house. I need to go buy some iron 45s (I use a bumper set). Need to take care of that today.

My weight was tracking the right way the last two weeks but I took a little step back after a lazy weekend. For some reason I just could slam down enough food.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I couldn't find your form check on Facebook. I'm looking at your food for the day. Do you feel like you are eating enough?
    PD - most days, yes, I feel like I'm putting a lot of effort into eating the correct amount and getting a decent return. Of course I want to weigh 10 more lbs already, but I know that's unrealistic. I figure I should be around 145/146 by now, and most mornings that's about where I sit. Yesterday was an anomaly.

More to come.

Date: 7/12/2017
    AM Weight: 144.8
    Supps: Creatine

Training:

1. Squat: 3 x 5 @ 205 (These were odd. They felt pretty smooth and my legs felt plenty strong. They got tough at the right time but I had more in the tank. Oddly I had a good amount of low back fatigue. Not sure what that was all about. It took a lot of effort and concentration to not have my back relax/unlock)

2. Press: 3 x 5 @ 100 (These were admittedly ugly. I'm not sure whether this is a form issue or just my first point of plateau. My form got ugly in set 3 and I felt myself coming up on my toes. Need to figure this out.)

3. Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 245 (These felt good except for my grip.)

Weight is back on the right track after slowing down a little. I switched back to squats first on this particular day to see if it had any effect. I think my last squat-first day (2 sessions ago) was just a bad day when I was tired.

I have 2 questions for anyone glancing or following along.

1. If my press form is getting ugly in my progression should I stop here at this weight? I could probably grind my way through an increase but I'm not sure my form would be acceptable.

2. I deadlift with a double overhand hook grip. My bar sucks and my thumbs almost tore off last night - to the point where rep #5 I had to move to a switch-grip, no hook. I don't like lifting that way, but I'm not sure what the consensus on straps is? At this point would it be a good idea?

Thanks

Rip has a good video on how to use wrist straps. I would continue to work on hook grip in my warm up sets. I think that would help build strength in hands but there is no point hurting g yourself if straps will correct the problem. Be mindful that straps make letting go of the barbjust a little harder so relaxing with the load still in the air can jerk you down to the deck.

As for the press, I would not increase until my form was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Rip has a good video on how to use wrist straps. I would continue to work on hook grip in my warm up sets. I think that would help build strength in hands but there is no point hurting g yourself if straps will correct the problem. Be mindful that straps make letting go of the barbjust a little harder so relaxing with the load still in the air can jerk you down to the deck.

As for the press, I would not increase until my form was perfect.
    PD - thanks for the look in. Warming up with the HG is a great idea. Think I'll do that and roll over to the straps tonight. As for the press; yeah I was afraid of that. I'll probably stick at my current weight.

starting strength coach development program
    So, I had to go buy more plates. I picked up some iron 45's (I have mostly bumpers) from Dick's on sale, so I solved that problem for a little bit.

Also, had to insert a rest day on Friday for 2 reasons; one, I was tired. Two, the inlaws came in about 4 hours early and we had to entertain them. So, this workout took place on Saturday morning while they slept.

AM Weight: 145.4 (same as today, sunday, actually)
    Supps: Creatine
    Sleep: 6 hrs (not nearly enough)

1. Squat: 3 x 5 @ 210 - I was worried about these because of how tired I was. Matter of fact I thought about skipping today, but I didn't. The form wasn't ugly or anything, but I needed help. Set 2 I belted up, set 3 I wrapped my knees (no belt) and things went off pretty well. I wont use the assistance tomorrow.

2. Bench: 3 x 5 @ 165 - These were pretty straightforward. It felt just in the heavy sweet spot towards the end of set 3. I had some arm shake going on, but the weight never stuck.

3. Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 245 - This was my worry after being so tired and having the grip problems. I took PD's advice and hook gripped for my warmup sets, but then went over to straps. Straps just made this weight infinitely easier to lift. But, interestingly, i felt like I had to pay a lot more attention to keeping my low back locked when I didn't have to focus on my grip. That may sound weird - and it may be a weight thing rather than a grip thing - but that's what I noticed. I may have had a bad rep in there because I moved too quickly, but overall it was fine.

More to come this week, hopefully with a better quality of sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast