September 8, 2017

Weight: 380 lbs
    Diet Compliance
    Target Consumption - 2800 Calories
    Average Consumption - 2744 Calories
    Average Protein - 250 grams
    Average Fat - 93 grams
    Average Carbs - 237 grams

Notes: Soccer went really well. No eeks, creeks, aches, or pains associated with it. I'm going to put a tick in the 'success' column.

Squat: 390
    Bench: 175
    Deadlift: 395

Squatting is getting pretty slow on the way up. Especially the last couple of reps per set. I think I fixed the 'wrist' thing using the stupidly obvious advice of 'set the wrist before you unrack'. I've added another single into the warmups (45x5, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x1,390x[5,5,5]), halfway between the double and the worksets. The first workset felt much better this way. I must admit the thought ... "two more and you get a light day... one more and you get a light day..." ran through my mind.

Bench is feeling pretty good. The weight is pinning me a little better to the bench and I can rotate my shoulders a little more. It feels like the weight is getting 'easier' with each workout. I'm not going to dick with a thing.

Deadlifts went smoothly. I scraped the sheet out of my upper shins and knees... bloody. I'm liking the current groove... I was slipping in and out of my runners to keep my feet warm (and it feels REALLY stupid to load and unload weight without shoes). I'm thinking about packing some fuzzy bunny slippers into my gymbag.

September 10, 2017

Squat : 315 [5,5,5,5,5]
    OHP : 130 [5,5,4]
    Deadlift : 400

Squats went well. Nothing special to report.

I missed the last rep of overhead press. I had a couple of reps in each set that were VERY slow. I might have been able to grind out that last one, but it felt like the weight had stalled for a couple of seconds.

Deadlifts went well. The first rep was the worst. I slightly adjusted my grip and the rest went well. Easily two in the tank when I was done. Also knees and shins are taking a kicking.

September 12, 2017

I started a night class combined with a new project at work... I'm feeling run down. I woke with some sinus congestion and felt like shit at work. I grabbed a two hour nap followed by a shit-ton of caffeine (600mg) before the workout. I missed my squats, am salty, and wired on caffeine. Damnit.

Squat: 395 [5,2,x]
    Bench: 177.5
    Deadlift: 405

Okay, aside from my state of mind there was an unfamiliar bar in the rack. A power bar that I hadn't seen in the gym before. Warm ups and the first set felt fine so I don't think it had anything to do with my abject failure. I didn't fail a rep on squats, I abandoned the set. The first set of five felt like everything I had in the tank. On the second rep of the second set (after a twelve minute rest) my brain went NOPE as soon as I locked my knees and hips.

Bench was by far the easiest lift of the evening. Again... it keeps going up so I'm not changing a thing. It was a good confidence boost for deadlifts.

Deadlifts felt far heavier than last time. I put this to my messed up physical condition at the beginning of the workout. They still went okay. My lats are certainly feeling it right now.

I'm considering switching to a 4day split. Between losing weight, night class, and longer shifts at work I'm not certain I can keep pace with the LP. Also I reread the section on Advanced Novice Squats and its supposed to be 2x5 not 5x5... so I'll do that.

I'm going to try to get more sleep and contemplate my situation.

starting strength coach development program
    September 14, 2017

I decided to switch to a intermediate 4day split, cutting my LP somewhat short. The new log is here: Operation Move the Big Thing

I will summarise my results here. Hopefully it will be useful to someone.

Male, 32, 6'4''

Starting / Finishing / Delta
    Date: June 27, 2017 / September 12, 2017 / 77 days
    Weight: 396lbs / 379lbs / -17lbs
    Neck: 20'' / 19.5'' / -0.5''
    Waist: 56'' / 52'' / -4''
    Body Fat: 39% / 35% / -4%
    Lean Mass: 242lbs / 246lbs / +4lbs
    Fat Mass: 154lbs / 133lbs / -21lbs

Press [5,5,5]: 75lbs / 127.5lbs / +52.5lbs
    Bench [5,5,5]: 135lbs / 177.5lbs / +42.5lbs
    Squat [5,5,5]: 235lbs / 390lbs / +155lbs
    Deadlift [5]: 275lbs / 405lbs / +130lbs

Thoughts:
    This has been a VERY effective use of 11 weeks. I know that I didn't follow the program as strictly as possible, but I feel it was pretty close. I am convinced (absolutely) that I could have linearly progressed my squat up to 500lbs for sets of 5 utilising an extra 2000 Calories per day, but that is not my primary goal.

Sleep and stress management is key... and a monkey wrench being thrown into the works is was knocked me off the LP.

The progress that can be possible in the right circumstances is very astonishing -- several members of my gym have asked me about my 'gear stack'... I told them sleep, progressive overload, and a bunch of excess calories -- which I store in love-handle form.

I really think there is room to grow SS tribal knowledge in relation to over-weight trainees. In my forum searches and in the books / discussions / videos the focus was mainly on VERY detrained over-weight trainees. Too weak to squat / move etc. My experience was strong squats and difficultly in repeating my deadlift setup due to weightloss changing proprioception. The general SS solution to a problem in the LP is throw sleep and food at it... when food can't be thrown the toolbox becomes somewhat shallow especially in the early stages.

Based on impedance based measurements (that correlate with the US Navy Method) some muscle-mass was added during the LP. This was done entirely in a caloric deficit. I would be interested in seeing how this compares with other trainees and what caloric deficit optimises this process.

If anybody would like the excel version of my training log, please PM me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234