starting strength gym
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: A Jolly Fat Dude Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My back hurts pretty bad today after tweaking it on Sunday. It felt better when I started warming up, so I took things right up to the point where it was hurting again and then backed off. I didn't want to not train, but I didn't want to destroy my back either. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I will say that my bench is surprisingly moving better now. I think I'm setting my shoulder blades better and gripping the bar tighter, but I may just have to sign up for the Fivex3 pressing camp next month, my bench and OP are lagging far behind the others.

Squat 3x5 @315
    Bench 3x5 @205
    Deads 1x5 @225 and 1x3 @275

Ugh, I was too aggressive with the back tweak today, and I made it worse. Worked up to work sets of squat and my back spasmed hard on the 4th rep. I cut the weight back and tried again but things were all bad, so I did some super light work and walked a bit but it was no good. I'm going to have to go dig out those Starting Strength articles about rehabbing muscle injuries.

Squat 1x4 370, 1x2 225
    press 1x2 45
    Deads 1x1 135
    Walked 8 minutes at 3.1

Quite the interesting day at the gym today. My back was ok during squats and I was able to hit my weights, but by the ends things were getting pretty sore. Then I did my bench no problem. After bench I started to work up to my deadlifts I did 5 warmup pulls at 225 but it was starting to hurt my back. I decided to push it and did one very painful rep at 275 just as some girl doing crossfit stuff in the squat rack close to me decided to projectile vomit all over the gym. I decided that was it! I stripped that bar faster than I ever have in my life so I could get it out of the way before the encroaching vomit puddle oozed around my weights.

Squat 3x5 370
    Bench 3x5 210
    Deads 1 275

Today was light day, and I tried to do enough to get some work in, but not further inflame my back injury the way I did last time, so I think I did ok. For once my back actually felt better when I left the gym then when I started, hopefully it's good enough Friday to pull heavy again. The Press was finally feeling good, and I just did a ton of light weight deads today to try to get some bloodflow and movement into my back.

Squat 3x5 295 (80%)
    Press 3x5 135
    Deads 3x8 135

just as some girl doing crossfit stuff in the squat rack close to me decided to projectile vomit all over the gym. I decided that was it! I stripped that bar faster than I ever have in my life so I could get it out of the way before the encroaching vomit puddle oozed around my weights.
    Criminy! Maybe all the weight work has honed your reaction time! Hope your back is back to normal soon.

Thanks Codger, it was quite the strange time in the gym, hoping the back is good for my heavy pulling day tomorrow!

Pretty good day today. Got through all my planned lifts, and even got back into the land of new PRs (kind of) Back felt ok while I was at the gym but tightened up pretty good an hour later, we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Squat 3x5 375
    Notes: These went pretty nice. Probably could have gone up 10 instead of 5

Bench 2x5 @205 and 1x5 @ 215
    Notes: Put up the first set and thought, "This is by far the easiest bench PR Ever!" Put up the second set and thought, "wait a minute, somethings off here..." Ends up I did my plate math wrong and went down 5 pounds instead of up 5 pounds. CURSES!!! Did the last set at the correct weight and it was tougher, but still not that bad.

Deads 1x5 @385
    Notes: I was worried my back would be angry at these, but they went up nice and smoothly. This was the last weight I pulled 2 weeks ago when I hurt my back, but it was easy. I probably could have hit 395 or maybe even 405

Great squats--nearly 400 pounds!

Well, got another stomach bug early this week, that sucked, this winter has been so frustrating and difficult to stay consistent with all the sickness, but in my impatience I decided to just pick up where I left off after last time. It mostly went well.

Squat 3x5 380
    Notes: These went very well. I was happy

Press 3x5 140
    Notes: I was nervous to add 5 pounds here when I microloaded before, but instead these sets were crazy easy! I was honestly amazed, I think part of the improvement is that I'm doing a better job of not throwing the weight in front of me when I get tired.

Deads 2 @295
    Notes: It was kind of a ballsy move to go up 10 pounds here after being sick, but honestly my strength was great and these moved nicely. My downfall here was the leftover stomach bug reared his ugly head, and I stopped at two reps instead of getting 2.5 reps and barfing all over the gym. I'd make a terrible crossfitter. This should go up easy in a few days once I've recovered.

starting strength coach development program
    Had a nice day today. Gym was hopping, but got some lifts in, no complaints.

Squat 3x5 315
    Notes: Light day, felt harder than when I did 380 two days ago. Definitely advanced novice

Bench 3x5 215
    Notes: After bad plate math last bench day I was glad to do all 3 sets. Middle set was a bit grindy but I think that's because I stopped paying attention to my legs and core, got that fixed and set 3 was nice.

Rows 3x8 185
    Notes: Decided to try rows on deadlift off day instead of 80% doubles. These felt good, I might try to do power clean next light day just to try it out.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast